Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHT V1 Valvulator Tube Buffer/Power Supply

Default VHT V1 Valvulator Tube Buffer/Power Supply

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but this seemed to be the appropriate place. Hopefully it'll get some viewage.

I've been meaning to do a write-up about the V1 Valvulator for a while, but I'm just getting around to it know. I purchased one at the same time as my D60H, and the V1 has been one of the best tweaks to my set up ever.

As a background, I love pedals, and have a fair amount on my board right now. RMC Picture Wah > Captain Coconut 2 > AnalogMan Bi-Comp > MXR ZW44 > Ibanez TS-808 w/ AnalogMan TV mod > MXR Script Phase 90 > Ross Flanger > AnalogMan Bi-Chorus > Voodoo Lab Tremelo > T-Rex Replica. I plug all of my effects before the amp.

Even though most are true-bypass and my cables are low-capacitance George L's, I had a ton of tone suck due to all of the added cable capacitance which is unavoidable regards of cable type. True-bypass may address impedance mismatch, but it only adds to the problem of cable capacitance.

Upon the advice of Steve Fryette, Marcus Schefer, and Jason @ DCGL I got a V1. Not only does it provide clean and regulated power to all of my pedals that need it, it 100% solved my problem with cable capacitance.

The unit is nearly transparent (with the stock tube it does add a small touch of midrange and treble to your tone, but we're cork sniffing here) and does just what it needs to. Even though I'm running a ton of effects, it feels and sounds like plugging directly into the amp. All of the punch, dynamics, and frequency response are restored by the V1.

And just yesterday I dropped in a NOS Tesla (not JJ) E83CC that I had. This, for my tastes, improved the unit even more. Its now quieter and more transparent, compared to the 12AX7WA that was stock. A small improvement, but noticable. I'll probably keep it in there.

My only conniption with the V1 is the nature of the beast - the low impedance output signal. My Captain Coconut 2 does not like to see the low impedance and the fuzz sounds thin and anemic. Putting the CC2 before the V1 solves this, but then I have to move the wah before the CC2 as well, and then I lose the extended sweep and improved sound of the wah as the V1 fixes the filter resonance of the wah. I'm still experimenting to see what I like best, for now I'm with the wah and CC2 before the V1....

Long story short - if you like to run a lot of pedals before your amp the V1 will really improve your tone by addressing impedance mismatch and cable capacitance. This is the same approach that Pete Cornish uses in his effect designs - at a whole lot less cash. I can't recommend the V1 enough.

I'm not 100% sure I fully understand you, but I run it like I thought it was supposed to be run, AFTER all the pedals and BEFORE the amp.The thing's supposed to restore your signal lost with all the chords and pedals, that's why it should be in between them and the amp.
    So, in short, ALL of your pedals should be before the V1, correct?

No. You plug your guitar directly into the V1.

The V1 is designed to prevent (not restore) signal loss by creating a low-impedance signal that will not get loaded down by cable capacitance or poorly designed buffers. The V1's high input impedance (1M ohm) is designed to respond exactly like the front-end of an amplifier.

By placing the V1 after your last effect, its not able to do what it is designed to do.

You can find more information here, and #2 is exactly the answer to your question.

Oops! I stand corrected! That one just simply slipped by me.You're right.Does it mean that any dist. pedal will be affected by the low impedance signal or is it just a few "spoiled" ones like your CC2?

The only pedal I have a problem with is the CC2.

Fuzzes, germanium ones in particular, seem to like to receive signal directy from the guitar - or with only true bypass effects between it and the guitar. I think it has something to do with the impedance, but I don't know what exactly.

Red face

Right on ,brother... I use only 2 to 3 pedals.My problem is with powering the wireless: it seems like it's one of those reverse polarity wires . I'm going to have to make one and see if it works...

Hey kleinm,

I have to agree with you on your review. I bought a used VHT Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply to use as a tube buffer on my SKB PS-45 pedalboard. I run the guitar into it and then out to the pedals. It really does help to restore my guitar signal going through all the cables & pedals. I also use 2 of the DC output to power my MXR reissue flanger and the 12 volt output to power my Boss CE-2 chorus. I liked it so much, that I bought another used Valvulator I and installed it on my Pedaltrain PT-2 pedalboard to power my Area 51 wah pedal, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner and a Visual Sound H20 chorus/delay. I also use the buffer before the pedals and it really works great for that second pedalboard that I built. It's one of the coolest gadgets if you use a lot of pedals on a pedalboard. I was originally going to buy a Voodoo Labs PP2 power supply and an Axcess Electronics BS-2, but the Valvulator I tube buffer/power supply does both for much less.

Guitar George

after a bunch of listening, tinkering and testing, all I can hear it do is just amplify the noise that's already there, especially on the gain channel (3).
    BnB Tubes sucks!!

Default Valvulator V1

I just picked one up for $70 from a friend. I already had great tone, but when I hooked this little jewel up, MAN!!! do I have tone now!!! I run long cords (one to the front of the amp and also two for the effects loop), 8 pedals and a tuner. This little box is not spoken about on the forum much, but it should be. If anyone runs pedals or long cables, this is a must for you, even if you don't run a VHT / Fryette amp. I am very impressed with this little magic box.
    Sig:X
    Valvulator V1
    Modified Fender Strats
    Marshall 1960 AHW Cabinet

Thumbs up

im glad you got it BOB...it is a GREAT little magic box!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar-bob View Post
    I just picked one up for $70 from a friend. I already had great tone, but when I hooked this little jewel up, MAN!!! do I have tone now!!! I run long cords (one to the front of the amp and also two for the effects loop), 8 pedals and a tuner. This little box is not spoken about on the forum much, but it should be. If anyone runs pedals or long cables, this is a must for you, even if you don't run a VHT / Fryette amp. I am very impressed with this little magic box.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I