Thread: One Hundred tube suggestions??

Default One Hundred tube suggestions??

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, iv been lookin from the side some time now, but decided to register now. But now to my point..

I own a 92' VHT One Hundred head, bought it about one month ago. When i purchased it i changed the pre-amp tubes to JJ ecc83s. It still has the orginal power-amp tubes and the 12AU7 left.

I plau with guitar equiped with EMG's, and some time the sound is just too "sterile" when playing the neck PU (85). I dont have the defination on the E-A strings so good. I play tuned to D btw, so thats one reason, but is there anything what i can do with change the tubes or..?

And sorry about my english

Default Re: One Hundred tube suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by Late
    Hello! This is my first post on this forum, iv been lookin from the side some time now, but decided to register now. But now to my point..

I own a 92' VHT One Hundred head, bought it about one month ago. When i purchased it i changed the pre-amp tubes to JJ ecc83s. It still has the orginal power-amp tubes and the 12AU7 left.

I plau with guitar equiped with EMG's, and some time the sound is just too "sterile" when playing the neck PU (85). I dont have the defination on the E-A strings so good. I play tuned to D btw, so thats one reason, but is there anything what i can do with change the tubes or..?

And sorry about my english
    You could try to put a lower gain tube in the later stages of the channel involved. That way you loose some gain but you gain clarity.

Giga.

If changing a preamp tube does not help. I would change the pickup. I know you play tuned down, but do you use the neck for that. I would assume you use the bridge pickup. What kind of guitar do you have and what type of sound are you looking for from the neck pickup? Sometimes I will play some clean stuff that is tune down on the neck pickup, but it never sounds good playing heavy tuned down riffs on the neck with the gain kicked in. I play a UL. Also I think you should try the ruby's
    that Vht recommends. JJ's sounded chimey for the clean to my ears more fenderish and the ruby's not as sterile. JJ's in my UL do not sound good for heavy gain rythm( I don't know about the 100. I have tried JJ's, EH,chinese 9th generation,Sovtek and I even put a mullard 12at7 in V6. I found the ruby's to perform the best. I hope this helps

Hey it's my first post too! I've got the same amp as you do and I would recommend Sovteks. If you got 15 year old tubes, you'll probably notice a huge difference with any brand you tried, but I believe the amp was designed around Russian power tubes. I've also used JJ's with good results. Just make sure you get it biased after you make your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittbull
    If changing a preamp tube does not help. I would change the pickup. I know you play tuned down, but do you use the neck for that. I would assume you use the bridge pickup. What kind of guitar do you have and what type of sound are you looking for from the neck pickup? Sometimes I will play some clean stuff that is tune down on the neck pickup, but it never sounds good playing heavy tuned down riffs on the neck with the gain kicked in. I play a UL. Also I think you should try the ruby's
    that Vht recommends. JJ's sounded chimey for the clean to my ears more fenderish and the ruby's not as sterile. JJ's in my UL do not sound good for heavy gain rythm( I don't know about the 100. I have tried JJ's, EH,chinese 9th generation,Sovtek and I even put a mullard 12at7 in V6. I found the ruby's to perform the best. I hope this helps
    Thanks Pittbull! I use mainly bridge PU for rythm and part of solo's, but neck for solos more often, i like this "fat" and round singing neck PU sound.

I will go tomorrow to the music store where i bought it and we shall see what we can do with the tech.

Ill post more tommorrow!