Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9th Generation Chinese 12AX7

Smile

I just did a tube swap in my UL. Had all the tubes tested that were in it & they tested up new just as the guy who sold it to me on ebay had assured me.
    The tone was A1 when I got it however something about it niggled me.
    So I switched the kt88's out for ge 6L6 FUCK NO, then went in some sovtek 6L6 better, then wingC 6L6 better again. Now for the bad boys KTf**k*#g88's.

Instant improvement. First GE Fantastic, Sovtek almost Winged SE ROOAARRRR HELL YES THAT IS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. Now where did my eardrums land. As fantastic as the Sovtek sounded & will well be the best choice for many of you the wingedC wins hands down for the tone I am chasing. I must admit I found the wingedC 6L6 had similar characteristics when put up against other 6L6's. Hence my 5150 & Diezel Herbert ending up with them.
    My amp tech always brings a bag of tubes with him when I want a tube change knowing I will buy @ least 1 if not 2 sets. So many thanks must go to him.

This was a blind test so my ears picked the tubes. My ears just tend to like the wingedC.
    After full burn in these sound even better.

Let your ears do the choosing if you can.

Next pre & power combinations.

Oh yea I play metal, I hate scooped out mids, Love passive humbuckers, I like my amps to ROAR rather than distort. & I like to hear the strings bounce when I pick a single low note with a big clear DOWWW low mid bounce.&I Fkn LOve unforgiving amps that punch every note @ you like a pro boxer.
    All of these things obviously affect my tube choice.

The tubes Steve & the boys & VHT use standard are awesome & the best place to start. My moto with amps: start flat & work your way back.
    Sounds like a bowl of fuck

So here's how it went down with the pre tubes.
    The UL came with a full set of factory Sovtek tubes & they all tested up as new.
    They had a great tone & would n my humble opinion be the best option for I would say 50% of owners. For me they didn't quite do it. So I went for the other factory suggestion, chinese. My amp tech has identical thoughts on the whole 9th gen situaton as Steve does. He has his own suppliers he trusts & personally inspects & tests all the tubes he gets, if he isn't satisfied the tube goes back to the supplier, if the supplier is not willing t take back rejected stock then he just wont deal with them.For him 9th gen doesn't mean shit, it comes down to who you trust & testing the tubes up himself. Good for little ol me eh.
    So the Chinese went in MUCH BETTER. Not perfect for me but almost.
    tried a few other tubes, won't bore with all the brands, needless to say I was unimpressed. The wingedC were equally as good yet different but price wise they were TOO EXPENSIVE against the chinese tubes.
    So so far the chinese were stacking up the best. but I wanted a little more, time to play with V1. Sovtek was not better just different. NOS Phillips definitley better. Groove tube NO WAY. wigedC now we're getting there. jj average. EH different but no. Tung Sol BINGO there it is.
    For me the Tung in V1 gave the chinese tubes that bit of mojo & added quality to the sound.

So the current running order that works for me (although I am sure I wil experiment some more down the track) v1 Tung Sol all the other pre chinese & wingedC KT88 in the power.

Now someone give me a UL so I can try that insane mod done on the Eurotube site to the 5150 with a combo of 2x KT88 & 2x el34 running @ the same time hehehe
    Sounds like a bowl of fuck

Steve, I just wanted to thank you for the info. I love my amp, stock as it is, more than any other I've played. I'll certainly check here before I re-tube it.

BTW - I think making your customers smarter has to be a benefit to you too. I know that with some though, it's like Ron White says... 'You can't fix stupid'

So basically what is being said here is this:

"2009 Mustang, just like the 2008, but now with DIFFERENT CUPHOLDERS!"

OK, back to playing music.

I am finding nothing sounds as big, smooth and thick as JJs in my VHT.

From a tube vendor:
    If the getter at the top is round, they are C9's, if they are square they are 8th generation Chinese. The 9th generation Chinese all come out of the same factory. However, I honestly think Ruby does a great job of screening their tubes. The percentage that I return on these for being out of spec is low. I have a bunch of the un-labeled and Sino labeled C9's and the Ruby C9's are a higher gain tube.

The round getter has been around for a while - long before people started calling them "9th Gen". Everybody sells the same tube and they can call it whatever they like. When someone can post pics of all 9 supposed different "generations" showing each variants specific differences, let me know.

P.S. Tom @ Ruby who has been buying Shuguang tubes for decades also says there is no such thing as "9th gen".
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Talking

i hear the 10th gens will be amazing....
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

i made this thread sticky, because i reference it a ton, and new people to the forum will do good to read through this thread.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

This is some really good info. I'm a bit of a toob n00b so this was helpful.

I'm rocking Sovtek KT88'ss in the 2.90.2, EH KT88's in the Deliverance, Tung-sol pre's in the Deliverance (really does sound very pissed off now) and the factory combination of Sovtek WB's in V1/V2 then Ruby in V3-V5 then another random sovtek WB in V6 of the GP3.

Pittbull G100UL
    Deliverance 60
    Fatbottom 2x12