Thread: Eric Johnosn style sound on 50CL

Default Eric Johnosn style sound on 50CL

Hi guys,

I am not looking to emulate Eric's sound, but his concurrently percusive and singing lead sound caught my attention (Cliffs of Dover). It is an interesting combinaion of 'just enough' destortion, which is mild and mellow with great dynamics and enough sustain which at time even feels having a bit of compression to it. It feels that it is even 'gated' a bit for the attack. I admit it is on the opposite side of the spectrum of sounds I was always using, so I don't have a clue where to start to capture the texture of it.

Any guidance where to start? 50CL, fatbottom 412, TS808, Maxon OD820 is in my disposal.

Thank you,
    Alex

Eric Johnson uses a lot of delay and rolls off his tone control a little. Using the 808 should get you close. All of his distortion comes from a Tube Driver, cranked Marshall, and speaker breakup. He also uses different fuzzes on his albums. A Fulltone '69 can get you really close.
    As for th CL50 I have no experience with it so I can't give any tips on settings, but I can get pretty close to his tone with a Fulltone '69 (or Tubescreamer) and delay into my Bassman head.

Set the amp to a low gain setting...
    Use a nice full OD pedal set to low gain....
    Bump the mids a bit...
    Use a good compressor like a Keeley or Tone Press
    Add delay...
    Steve
    NO!!!!!
    I am not Steve Fryette....
    He just builds the most kick ass amps of all time....

Thank you guys.

So there is no power section distortion involved too much in this? Just rely more on the gain stacking of the tubescreamer plus low-gain setting preamp stage? Steve, where would you put compressor in this case in front of the tube screamer or between the tubescreamer and the amp?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by akoch
    It is an interesting combinaion of 'just enough' destortion, which is mild and mellow with great dynamics and enough sustain which at time even feels having a bit of compression to it. It feels that it is even 'gated' a bit for the attack. I admit it is on the opposite side of the spectrum of sounds I was always using, so I don't have a clue where to start to capture the texture of it.
    It's actually a lot more simple than that - he shaves his picks, turns his tone control down and uses really low frets on really old maple fretboard strats. It takes the click and bite out of the attack. His setup changes constantly but it's generally been a humble drive to give it impact and a little vintage stompbox in front to give it that touch of fuzz.

On a related note, notice when Yngwie Malmsteen plays his old worn mapleneck strats next to his new ones, the worn ones have a lot less bite and a lot more mellow, very much the same way in Eric's tone.

Koreldyre, it's an intersting observation, I did not pay attention to it. Once you mentioned it, it actually makes sense. I did a refret recently on one of my guitars, and I noticed that the sound changed, became stronger with larger and higher fretwire.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreldyre
    It's actually a lot more simple than that - he shaves his picks, turns his tone control down and uses really low frets on really old maple fretboard strats. It takes the click and bite out of the attack. His setup changes constantly but it's generally been a humble drive to give it impact and a little vintage stompbox in front to give it that touch of fuzz.

On a related note, notice when Yngwie Malmsteen plays his old worn mapleneck strats next to his new ones, the worn ones have a lot less bite and a lot more mellow, very much the same way in Eric's tone.
    Yngwie's tone on "Rising Force" is very similar to EJ's.