Thread: Different versions of pitbull 50cl?

Default Different versions of pitbull 50cl?

I just picked up one. Pics on the web show some with grill on top and bottom of head. Others are a solid fabric. Is this just cosmetic? Also I see some are called G-CL 50. What does the G mean? Thanks

"G-50-CL" is the model number, with "Pittbull Fifty/CL" being the model name. They refer to the same amp.

I'm assuming the grille you're talking about is the one that looks like the current Ultra-Lead or CLX. Many older Fifty/CLs and Hundred/CLs came with that grille. Newer ones come with the solid fabric. Older models also had the option for the amp to come without the graphic EQ, whereby the presence and depth controls would be mounted on the front. At some point, it was changed so all CLs came with the graphic EQ. Additionally, some older models had a switch that let you select between 6L6 and EL34 tubes. I'm not sure what the timeline is between these three things (1. grille, 2. optional EQ-less, 3. 6L6 switch), perhaps someone else knows.

It's also likely there have been at least some other minor internal revisions between older models and newer ones. I'd email Fryette support with your serial number to determine.

As a data point, I have Fifty/CL from 1998 that has the old style UL grille, no graphic EQ, and the 6L6 switch. It sounds badass.

Thumbs up

Very helpful
    Thanks!