Thread: My Siggy just got VERY gainy, grainy and fizzy! Thoughts?

Default My Siggy just got VERY gainy, grainy and fizzy! Thoughts?

Fired it up yesterday, and the lead and rhythm channels are suddenly VERY gainy.
    The clean channel is unaffected.

I've eliminated everything in the signal chain by plugging straight in with nothing in the loop.
    Problem still persists.

Next I tried dialing back the gains on both channels and even at the lowest settings before silence, both channels are still VERY fizzy.

Any thoughts?
    Dying preamp tube, maybe?

Power tubes may need replaced, as they are fairly old but the clean channel seems to be unaffected so i'm leaning toward a bad preamp tube.
    Also, i've never had this kind of issue with a dying power tube before.

I've got a bunch of preamp tubes lying around so i will experiment with those tonight.

In the meantime, any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    ~Troy

I would check tubes first also.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Ok..so i replaced all the preamp tubes, including th PI with new ones. And still no improvement.

Sooo...could failing power tubes do this? Like i said, the tubes are a few years old, but i've never had failing tubes act or sound this way before. I checked the bias and they were just a tiny bit off of where i had them set. But still very adjustable.

Can tubes be going bad and still hold bias?

Thoughts?

I've got a new pair of KT88's on the way, but wont be here for a couple more days.

***Update***

I replaced the power tubes....no change. Same harsh grainy, gainy fuzz.

So I started noodling with the volumes on the Lead and Rhythm channels and noticed this:

When i dime the volumes on either lead or rhythm channel, the sound i get through through my cab (while playing, of course) sounds like an old transistor radio with a blown speaker. There is also some low-end rumbling too. And again, the clean channel seems to be unaffected.

***(Note, i am using the effects level on the rear of the amp as a master volume as to not implode my skull! I have it right at 9 o'clock)***

Any ideas?

I think I may be giving Fryette a call tomorrow to see if they will send me a box so I can ship this to them to figure out.

Anything beyond tube swaps and biasing is out of my league.

In the meantime if anyone cares to give me any ideas as to what would cause this, i'm all ears.

~Troy

You try changing the 40W/100W power switch on the affected channels? Any change?

Quote Originally Posted by metalhobo View Post
    You try changing the 40W/100W power switch on the affected channels? Any change?

Yep. I've noodled with every switch and knob to see if I could isolate the issue....to no avail.

I'm at a loss. I love this F'n amp. It's my No.1

As soon as I hear back from Fryette, it's probably going on a road trip to Burbank.

~Troy

I really don't think it sounds like it would be the problem, but did you swap the rectifier tube when you were retubing? I know my 50CL did some weird things when the rectifier tube was going out even when the amp was set to use the silicon rectifier. But, it was nothing like you're describing, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem.

Yepper. I have replaced all of the tubes. Still no improvement.

~Troy

Well,
    I had to take the Sig to a local shop. Could be a few weeks before I hear anything due to the back log at the shop.

Before I took it to the local shop, I had tried, REPEATEDLY, to contact Fryette Support to no avail.

I got one initial response from Dave at Fryette, asking me a few questions. I followed up with him PROMPTLY and i have heard nothing since. Not from Dave, nor anyone else.

I would have MUCH rather sent the Sig into Fryette to service, instead of taking it to someone who is not entirely familiar with the amp. But I cant even reach anyone to get a service authorization, so I didn't have much of a choice.

I've tried calling Fryette several times and no one answers. There isn't even a prompt to leave a message. The answering recording just says to contact them through the support email.

If anyone from Fryette is reading this and cares to respond, I'd love to hear from you.

~Troy

They are at NAMM....good luck getting ahold of anyone working in the industry in California till after NAMM.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.