Thread: Problem with my D60

Default Problem with my D60

I am having an issue with my D60. It's at the tech now. He is having a hard time diagnosing. The problem is intermittent. The issue happens with vibration. It will sound great and then you'll hit a note and it will crackle/buzz. This is with the head sitting on top of the cab. You can also get it to do it if you tap the head shell when not playing. In fact, it will do it without anything plugged into it. If you turn the master down, it wont do it. Any ideas?

try hitting the preamp tubes lightly with a pencil or something and see if they're microphonic. v1 will be shielded so you'll have to pop that off first. it could also be the power tubes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhobo View Post
    try hitting the preamp tubes lightly with a pencil or something and see if they're microphonic. v1 will be shielded so you'll have to pop that off first. it could also be the power tubes, too.
    Tech said he checked the preamp tubes in his tester. Said he didn't have tester to check tubes. He did state that since the problem goes away when the master volume is turned down means it wouldnt be a tube problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bbgie1223 View Post
    Tech said he checked the preamp tubes in his tester. Said he didn't have tester to check tubes. He did state that since the problem goes away when the master volume is turned down means it wouldnt be a tube problem.
    just to clarify, it won't make the noise, even if you tap the headshell, when the mv is turned down? if so, that would indeed eliminate the power tubes as a culprit. it could still be the preamp tubes though, and a tester only checks part of the story, especially if the problem is intermittent. the fact that the noise can occur with nothing plugged in to the jack but not when the mv is turned down means the problem must lie somewhere in between the jack and the master volume, i.e. somewhere in the preamp circuit. I highly suggest tapping on those preamp tubes with the mv turned up to see if you can find the component which is most sensitive to vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhobo View Post
    just to clarify, it won't make the noise, even if you tap the headshell, when the mv is turned down? if so, that would indeed eliminate the power tubes as a culprit. it could still be the preamp tubes though, and a tester only checks part of the story, especially if the problem is intermittent. the fact that the noise can occur with nothing plugged in to the jack but not when the mv is turned down means the problem must lie somewhere in between the jack and the master volume, i.e. somewhere in the preamp circuit. I highly suggest tapping on those preamp tubes with the mv turned up to see if you can find the component which is most sensitive to vibration.
    That is correct. He said the problem would not present itself if the MV was turned down. Thanks for your response.