Thread: Fryette Family Tree

Default Fryette Family Tree

I believe I have most of this correct ?
    It shows the differences and similarly of the various amps.

The preamps of both Deliverance, Sig-X Rhythm channel & Memphis Drive channel are based on the Rhythm channel of the Pittbull's.

The Lead channel of the Sig-X is based on the Lead channel of the Pittbull's.

The Clean channel of the Memphis is based on the Clean channel of the Sig-X.

The GP3 is based on all three channels of the Pittnbull's.

Both the Sig-X and GP3 have the dynamic sensing feature. On the Sig, the sensitivity is fixed. On the GP3 it's adjustable on the front panel.

The power amp of the UL is similar to the 2150
    The Power amp of the Sig X is similar to the 2/90/2

"CLX has a single 12AX7 driver stage, a different power transformer, a different output transformer and Dual Class Mode. It breaks up easier and has a bit more give - besides the EL34 voice.

UL does not have DualClass switch. Never did. Neither model has ever had Enhance Mode - the switchable tube/ss rectifier function.

The differences between the 2 models has varied over time, but has been stable over the last roughly 10 years.

Difference between the D60 and D120 is the driver stage. The 120 has a 2-tube driver/PI stage similar to the UL. The 60 has the single stage like the CLX. Preamp voicing is the same, but because of the difference in output and driver stage, the 60 sounds more pissed off compared to the 120 which sounds more like a bulldozer coming down your street."

- support
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Nice! I love these sorts of things, because it's super hard to get any direct comparisons of Fryette amps with other Fryette amps. If someone wants to compare a Fryette to anything else, you can just say, "it's way tighter." But comparing within the family, it's hard. This is a huge help, because I've never known how the different Pittbulls compare with each other, and to the Deliverance models, and to the Siggy.

Stephen, you should do a UL, 50CL, 100CL, CLX, D60, D120, Siggy comparison, if you have any insight. I have a 50CL, but I always wonder whether I should get something else, or if it would even matter. I mean, the number of channels, and the wattage are obvious, but I'm always curious how the disto channels on these vary. Some people tell me I can dial in my 50CL to sound like the UL or 100CL, others say the difference is nigh and day. Some say the Siggy is the best all around, and others say it loses some of the articulation of the Pittbulls.

I think the CL are similar to the CLX without the clean channel.

I have played on all these amps and don't think one is better than others. They are just different. I can see why different people would prefer different models. I have my preferences based on my subjective taste.

All the amps seemed to be based on the variations of two different highgain voices. One being more saturated. There is also two clean voices. One is very clean. The other found in the Sig X and Memphis are more like a NMV amp.

The different poweramps each have a unique sound and feel. At least as important as the preamps.

Any of the Fryette amps can be used for any style of music and are very versatile.

They all have the Fryette voice. Tight focused bass. Smooth highs. Midrange that cuts. Focused punch.

Personally I am looking forward to the Sound City amps. Steve Fryette's homage to Dave Reeves. A vintage voice and poweramp overdrive.

Steve is also doing a series call Speaker Geeks for Premiere Guitar. The first two are excellent and worth reading. There is two other writers working on Speaker Geeks... All of them are very well done.
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...when-they-dont

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...uitar-speakers

Here is a recent Tone Talk ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OK-LxYcp-d8
    Last edited by stephen sawall; 05-15-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Ok, cool, thanks for the info! I'm going to check out those links, as well. One day I'd like to A/B one of the KT88 models with my CL50. Or maybe pickup a D60 to have a different Fryette flavor.