Thread: GP/DI First Impressions, Review

Default GP/DI First Impressions, Review

I've had the GP/DI for two days now, running it direct to Pro Tools and through a Power Station into an Ear Candy Buzzbomb loaded with British V30's. I've been using an Axe FX II and while it's a ton of fun, I spend too much time tweaking and not enough time making music. I was hoping the GP/DI would give me the impetus to part with the Axe, but so far, the direct recording sounds are rather underwhelming, compared to what I am used to. I like to cover a wide range of tones, from clean to djent, and I can't help feeling that the GP/DI could use some help from a proper IR. I haven't run it into the Axe, using the Axe's IR's yet, but that will be forthcoming. That sort of defeats the purpose of trying to replace the Axe, anyways.

Running into the Power Station however is another story. Completely fabulous, I must say. Everything but the djent is beautifully represented. It needs some type of TS pedal up front to tighten up the big round bottom end for modern metal, but so does the 5150, Dual Rec, etc. I was really expecting a usable effects loop in standalone mode (directly driving a cab from the GP/DI) but alas, it's only for the headphone output. I run my time-based effects in the loop of the PS.

I plan to use it live, with the PS, and I feel it will give me everything my old D60 gave me before I sold it, due to the lack of a loop. Plus, I can retain the cranked, sagged-out vibe at manageable volumes now; big plus.

In short, it gives me live mojo that the Axe can't touch, falls short of my expectations direct, excels at browned-out vintage high gain, but will not djent, by my definition of the word.

I need to spend more time with it before I decide to sell the Axe.

Thanks for your review! Just a couple of responses:

Because of the "real" low power amp (I say real because some products in this category aren't), there would've been too much signal and noise compromise to put a loop between the preamp and power amp stage. You want delays after all the distortion anyway so putting a loop between the amplifier output and headphone driver gives you the ability to practice and jam silently with some nice ambiance.

We tried a lot of tube combinations to come up with the right blend for best overall performance and we shipped the current combination for that reason. You can get a tighter and more detailed high gain sound by tweaking the input and output tubes. The input tube - on the left looking at the front panel - is currently a Sovtek 12AX7WB. This is similar to a 5751. A Tung-Sol 12AX7 will add zing and tighten the lows a bit. Using an EH 12DW7 output tube - on the far right viewed from the front - instead of the JJ 12DW7 (ECC832) will likewise add detail, dial back off the low mids a bit and tighten the low end.

This is a new product and though we've vetted it pretty extensively, we still like to hear everyones feedback.

Thanks!
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

UPDATE:

Thanks for the tube-rolling tips, Dave. I will try them out soon enough.

I haven't touched the Axe in weeks, and after spending more time with the GP, I am able to coax just about anything I need out of it. However, I did pick up a Torpedo CAB IR loader, which coincidentally has a great Fryette D212 cab sim. This solution sounds and feels much better to me than the integral speaker emulation, and since I was in the market for a stand-alone IR box anyways, is an added bonus.

I have found that the Master Volume control is probably the most important tone shaping knob on this unit (possibly sound like Captain Obvious to some, esp. those at SFD) and am wondering if the internal PA and load are what make this response possible. I was somewhat kicking myself for not holding out for a Synergy SYN-001, but if that unit doesn't incorporate the same MV response as the GP, I feel like I made the right choice.

PS: the Axe has hit the block. See ya!

Good stuff here. New member, gonna pick up a GP/DI in the next few days. Appreciate the tips!