Thread: VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 retube ideas?

Default VHT/Fryette 2/50/2 retube ideas?

Hey everyone.

I have recently bought a VHT 2/50/2 power amp, the standard version with EL34s.

I am about to retube it, since the tubes in it are already old.

I have already contacted Fryette support to ask about standard tubes and they answered me very quickly and precisely. But Iīm having more questions/thoughts about retubing and I would also like to hear the opinion of other users.

So, these are my thought and questions about a possible retube (just power tubes, I have the preamp tube question resolved already):

The tubes I have in the amp right now are "Ruby" - in other words, could be anything "Ruby-approved" and I am not able to identify by looking at the tubes what they really are. But I really like the way they sound. Any ideas what could these Rubys really be, what "real" brand?

Fryette support said that the current factory and recommended tubes are Mullard EL34s - any ideas, what would they bring in terms of TONE, compared to my current Rubys?

Somewhere I read that the 2/50/2 was reportedly "built around the SED winged-C EL34 tubes" - is that true? And what do you think how would the =C= tubes work in my amp and how would they sound compared my current Rubys?

What other power tubes would you recommend me to get, if my tone-priority is tight low end, highest possible definition and clarity for high gain / metal, mostly in low tunings? These are the tube brands, that I can easily get in my area: JJ, Sovtek, Mullard (current reissues, not NOS), TungSol, EHX, TAD, SED (still some stock left), Shuguang.... and thatīs about it.

Thank you very much in advance for your ideas and recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Airfish View Post
    Hey everyone.

I have recently bought a VHT 2/50/2 power amp, the standard version with EL34s.

I am about to retube it, since the tubes in it are already old.

I have already contacted Fryette support to ask about standard tubes and they answered me very quickly and precisely. But Iīm having more questions/thoughts about retubing and I would also like to hear the opinion of other users.

So, these are my thought and questions about a possible retube (just power tubes, I have the preamp tube question resolved already):

The tubes I have in the amp right now are "Ruby" - in other words, could be anything "Ruby-approved" and I am not able to identify by looking at the tubes what they really are. But I really like the way they sound. Any ideas what could these Rubys really be, what "real" brand? Ill take a guess and say Sovtek or I believe the "str " are shuguang .

Fryette support said that the current factory and recommended tubes are Mullard EL34s - any ideas, what would they bring in terms of TONE, compared to my current Rubys?

Somewhere I read that the 2/50/2 was reportedly "built around the SED winged-C EL34 tubes" - is that true? And what do you think how would the =C= tubes work in my amp and how would they sound compared my current Rubys?
    I've used winged c in my classic and loved them when I had a good batch , I've had trouble with them on and off over different lots - worth a shot if you can get them from a good vendor . I'm just using eh now , they have been very reliable and sound quite good to my ears .
    What other power tubes would you recommend me to get, if my tone-priority is tight low end, highest possible definition and clarity for high gain / metal, mostly in low tunings? These are the tube brands, that I can easily get in my area: JJ, Sovtek, Mullard (current reissues, not NOS), TungSol, EHX, TAD, SED (still some stock left), Shuguang.... and thatīs about it.
    Try sovtek or shuguang if you love ruby , it would probably be one of those two and wont recommend them as such but you try jj kt77s also just for experiments sake.
    Thank you very much in advance for your ideas and recommendations!
    My 2 cents , Cheers
    Last edited by Cam; 05-25-2016 at 09:55 AM.

In the end I decided for TADs. Their EL34s are manufactured according to the original British Mullard specs. And since Fryette recommends Mullards, TAD has a very good reputation and they are half price of the SED =C=, I gave them a shot. As for the preamp positions, I got TADs as well, made for TAD by Shuguang, according to their specs. All these tubes together didnīt bring any dramatic change in terms of tone, but the whole sound just "came alive" and got somehow more fresh and spontaneous. I really like how the whole thing sounds right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Airfish View Post
    In the end I decided for TADs. Their EL34s are manufactured according to the original British Mullard specs. And since Fryette recommends Mullards, TAD has a very good reputation and they are half price of the SED =C=, I gave them a shot. As for the preamp positions, I got TADs as well, made for TAD by Shuguang, according to their specs. All these tubes together didnīt bring any dramatic change in terms of tone, but the whole sound just "came alive" and got somehow more fresh and spontaneous. I really like how the whole thing sounds right now.
    Cool , can't beat a good set of new tubes .
    Not sure but think the el 34 str are also from shuguang same as ruby .
    I'm using a few of the tad branded 12ax7 s as well and they have been great .
    I'm up for a new 34 quad , might give em a go as well .