Thread: Service question

Default Service question

So I recently took my pittbull classic 100 to my local boutique amp tech (used to work for Fuchs amps and now builds his own called root beer audio for anyone in Philadelphia is interested). So the tubes get replaced. Everything sounds great. So my band was on a brief hiatus so I really only played it once to test it out. Worked perfectly. A few weeks later I'm playing with the band and the amp blows a fuse.

I took it back to my tech who checks the tubes, which are fine and dandy, but every time he replaces the fuse it trips immediately. This is what he told me:
    Jeff,

I tested your amp again today. This amp has a high-voltage fuse and a mains fuse. Since the high voltage fuse (which is after the standby switch) isn't blowing , that means the issue is somewhat close to the power input; power transformer, possibly a filter cap, something else "modern" (some blown MOV or protection circuit), etc. Since it's next to impossible to find a schematic for these amps, it's a bit harder to diagnose. I need to test the power transformer by unsoldering, but those connections are under the main board.

I just wanted to see what you thought before I proceed. I can't really give an estimate until I know what the problem is, but with an amp like this (which is built a tank, but not as simple to work on) it's going to be a minimum of $60 to open it all up.

So he's has emailed fryette about a schematic or at least some help on what to do but has gotten no response for weeks. I know they are busy and are a small company and my tech realizes that they don't want to distribute schematics to just anyone but he's trying to help me figure out what to do in terms of shipping it to fryette for repair (which he says would be better and probably cheaper than him tearing my amp apart blind and ripping out the main board) or even finding an authorized service center.

I'm just trying to see if I can get a little guidance. I love this amp, but this has been quite a trying experience.

If you havnt already it might pay to just try another quad of tubes in there , your tech sounds knowledgeable but can't hurt .
    Problem only started after tube change ?
    I've had a prob awhile back I swore couldn't be tubes , it was .
    Could play fairly low volume no probs ever , crank it - fuse blows . This happened with a new set ( winged C) and a set I had laying around , took it to tech - supplies new quad / bias - never had a prob since .
    Long shot but maybe ..hope ya get it sorted - Good luck ...

Thanks for the reply Cam,

So your 2 sets of tubes weren't cooked, but replacing them fixed everything? Thats so wonderfully bizzare! I know my tech tried a set he had laying around and the fuses still blew but maybe it could help with a brand new set. Thanks for the idea!

Also, does anyone know if customer support still checks around the boards at all?

Yeh , when the tech suspected just tubes I was sceptical , especially after putting another set in and was pretty sure when I test drove it at high volume the same thing would happen ..
    That was about 2 years ago ... No probs still using that same quad . ( there pretty rattly now but still sound pretty good )
    Strange they would only short under high volume / vibration but there you go it has happened ...
    They probably ( Dave etc ) do check in here but you may or may not have more luck contacting them on the Fryette Face book page ...

So both my tech and I have called, emailed, sent private messages through facebook, tried to post publicly to their facebook wall, and have gotten no response from anyone. Are there any other ways to get a hold of them other than what i've tried?

Did you check your junk mail on your email ?
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Hey Stephen,

Yeah, we both checked our junk mail folders. Good idea, though! I appreciate the thought.