Thread: VHT 2902 for 'jazz' or 'country' tone?

Default VHT 2902 for 'jazz' or 'country' tone?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a VHT2902. I have a THD Flexi50 that is set up with JJ KT88s in the power stage. I love the tone I'm getting with this, major thump and just a little grit when I hit the boost. So naturally when I went looking for a louder amp based on KT88s this is where I ended up. Are there any jazz or country players out there using the 2902 ? I'd love to know what preamp your using ? I want to be able to play loud and mostly very clean. My tone settings are zero treble, nine o'clock mids, and full on bass. With the low gain Telefunken 5965s in V1 and V2 it's very hi-fi sounding and yet will still yield a bit of dirt when pushed.
    I should add that I'm also playing a short scale six string bass ( but more like guitar than like a bass, chords, etc..). This means I'm also adding a 15" cabinet soon to help handle the lows. Two EVM12Ls on the other channel with an EQ pedal taking out everything below 100Hz. I'd love to hear some recommendations and/or critiques of this idea. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a killer tone you have going on there!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Welcome.... I pretty much only use Fryette & thd amps.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Default Thanks

Hi Stephen. I recall your name from the THD fan pages. I am still in love with that THD amp. But after doing an outdoor gig and feeling fairly lost in the mix I decided I need a little more muscle. I had to keep it kranked to the point that all I had left was fairly distorted, albeit awesome, tone. That and I really want to work in stereo. And the mighty 2902 seems tailor made for me. New here and I realize now that this probably should have gone under 'rack gear'.
    I was never here. This meeting never happened....

Quote Originally Posted by atomheart411 View Post
    . I New here and I realize now that this probably should have gone under 'rack gear'.

Simple fix!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Yes I agree the thd amps have limited clean headroom. They are almost as focused of a sound as the Fryette amps I have. The thing I really like about thd's is the harmonics..... More than most amps in phase with little blurring. They are very different than the Fryette amps. Last year a friend of mine was doing a lot of recording & we blended several amps. Diezel & several vintage amps. My favorite combination was the Flexi & Sig X. We both felt we could get something similar with my Deliverance 120 and did not need to be blended to get what he was after for this recording project. I am sure you will get great results with your gear. I will be buying a Fryette poweramp when I rebuild my rack. I recommend you try a wet/dry/wet rig .... Using the thd line out to drive the Fryette poweramp. This would be a huge sound with plenty of headroom I imagine.
    Last edited by stephen sawall; 05-23-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: blow up the moon.....
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Default Dang !

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    Yes I agree the thd amps have limited clean headroom. They are almost as focused of a sound as the Fryette amps I have. The thing I really like about thd's is the harmonics..... More than most amps in phase with little blurring. They are very different than the Fryette amps. Last year a friend of mine was doing a lot of recording & we blended several amps. Diezel & several vintage amps. My favorite combination was the Flexi & Sig X. We both felt we could get something similar with my Deliverance 120 and did not need to be blended to get what he was after for this recording project. I am sure you will get great results with your gear. I will be buying a Fryette poweramp when I rebuild my rack. I recommend you try a wet/dry/wet rig .... Using the thd line out to drive the Fryette poweramp. This would be a huge sound with plenty of headroom I imagine.
    I will have to get on that. Heading out to Europe for a few weeks so it'll have to wait, but I like the way you think.

Red face Late update. Blackbird preamp.

Even before I solved my preamp dilemma I had fallen pretty hard for the 2902. I have tried to go back and spend some quality time with my other amps but the thrill ain't there. That with a cobbled together system where I was getting most of my preamplification from a combination of Xotic RC Boost pedal and rack compressor. After my usual masochistic research process, and ruling out GP3 even if I could find one, in favor of a pedal board based solution I have finally got it. Just took delivery on an Effectrode Blackbird. So I just want to share my initial impressions.
    In a word: WOW. These two pieces are like long lost siblings. I haven't even begun to do any tube swapping. Just some Groove Tubes 12 ax7s it came with. What I was getting before was a vague facsimile of what this power amp should sound like. Any body who knows the RC boost knows that the EQing is pretty strong. I always like to give a bass boost for more body. This Blackbird's EQ is fantastic. Supposedly modeled on a Black Face tone stack. It sounds friggin beautiful. Tons of body and presence and so 'hi-fi' it's, well, music to my ears. The wife was going to stomp out in a major huff if I didn't finally stop playing. Maybe it was the volume? I'm not even a high gain kind of guy but the gain channel on this is so dynamic I couldn't stop trying it out. Dial in a nice thick crunch and with just a little roll back on the guitar volume it would tame right down.
    I have a whole pile of great NOS tubes I want to try in this thing but I couldn't stop long enough to even try any at first. Just having too much fun. The cleans are with out a doubt the most beautiful I have ever heard. And I love clean. Extremely revealing. Every single nuance of what I do is startlingly presented. No room for sloppy playing here. I do believe that this is an example of the total being greater than the sum of the parts. I know there have been people who were disappointed by the Blackbird. But this combination is heaven for me.
    So, to answer my own question. Jazz and country tones from the 2902? Oh hell yeah! The whole gamut and then some. Can't wait to see what an old Telefunken5965 will sound like in V1 !