Thread: buffers buffers and buffers?

Default buffers buffers and buffers?

So I have a question about buffers (maybe you saw the title!). I have been thinking about adding a Valvulator buffer/power supply to my pedalboard. I have a Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah (buffered), gogo pedal tuner (TBP), and a C&E Fet dream overdrive (TBP) in front of the amp with a Morley volume pedal, DOD FX60 Chorus (buffered), and a boss dd5 delay (buffered) in the loop. My question - does having too many buffers hurt? I imagine the dedicated valvulator buffer is going to be much better than any of the pedal buffers. So would the valvulator serve any valuable purpose? Should I also get a true bypass looper (im trying to reduce the endless tap dancing - the amp footswitch, while amazingly usefully, doesn't help the dancing)?

Anyone want to share how their boards are set up or just suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
    So I have a question about buffers (maybe you saw the title!). I have been thinking about adding a Valvulator buffer/power supply to my pedalboard. I have a Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah (buffered), gogo pedal tuner (TBP), and a C&E Fet dream overdrive (TBP) in front of the amp with a Morley volume pedal, DOD FX60 Chorus (buffered), and a boss dd5 delay (buffered) in the loop. My question - does having too many buffers hurt? I imagine the dedicated valvulator buffer is going to be much better than any of the pedal buffers. So would the valvulator serve any valuable purpose? Should I also get a true bypass looper (im trying to reduce the endless tap dancing - the amp footswitch, while amazingly usefully, doesn't help the dancing)?

Anyone want to share how their boards are set up or just suggestions?
    I don't think the extra Valvulator will bring much for you as the Morley buffers in my experience work just fine.

A word of warning also: switching buffered pedals in and out through a tbp looper can be very noisy (switching pops/clicks).

Giga

Giga,

thanks for the heads up on the looper pops! I didn't know that. I agree with your statement about the tremonti wah, I've run very unscientific tests and have found it doesn't really suck any tone. Thanks for the input!

The main function of a buffer is to create electrical isolation between circuits that are otherwise incompatible. In that sense, many pedal buffers are simply there to mitigate the problems created by their own designs. Some are better then others of course, but all have an impact.

The biggest impact is the progressive destruction of the direct to amp playing relationship. Plugging straight into the amp has a different feel than going through any effect or soilid state buffer and certain harmonics are generated going straight in that are lost going through pedals.

Using the V1 in front of all this restores a lot of that dynamic feel and harmonic structure ahead of pedals so it cannot be lost or so serverely degraded through a pedal chain.

Regarding loop pops, having a low impedance signal feeding the loop switcher will help reduce or eliminate popping. In some cases it might also make it worse. Because everybody uses them slightly differently, these things often require a bit of experimentation as there is really no one size fits all solution.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

You're not using many pedals. Use the best cables you can afford, and the shortest runs.

Thanks Support for the detailed information! Sounds like I should just buy one and try it out! And to respond to Kelly - I currently make all my own cables from Mogami bulk cable (W2524) and my interpedal connects are the mogami smaller diameter cable with switchcraft pancake jacks.

I think they've done a great job but a lot of times i'll get people yelling at me about how great low-capacitance cables are, high-end, etc etc. Ughh, the tweaking will never end.

You're right - it never ends. We have Vovox cables here and they are quite addicting. Still playing through the V1 is essential if you have even one pedal in your chain.

There are a lot of "high-end" cables out there that claim low capacitance and other benefits, but honestly, if a cable "sounds different" it's doing something to the signal. In some cases that's beneficial. Look at the resurgence of low grade coil cords. They have a LOT of cable capacitance, but if you're ever plugged a strat into a NMV Marshall you know that those cables genuinely contribute to the Hendrix sound.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut