Thread: VHT 2/50/2 & What are the best EL34 Tubes

Default VHT 2/50/2 & What are the best EL34 Tubes

To all with Supreme knowledge:
    lol just recently picked up a 2/50/2 and was wanting some input on peoples opinion of types of tubes they like, and I mean the EL34's. Has anyone done any experimentation with different makers and seen a dramatic difference. Hey even the Phase Inverter & Driver stage tubes would make a huge difference so please leave your opinion on what information you good people may have.....
    " If you don't like my peaches.... don't shake my tree "

Congrats on the purchase! I hopefully get my 2/90/2 Sunday, I can't wait. I'd start with what they recommend in the user manual and go from there. I am really liking my EH power tubes (KT88's) in my deliverance. I think they sound thicker and more harmonically rich that straight sovteks.

Pittbull G100UL
    Deliverance 60
    Fatbottom 2x12

Just found this from Steve

"After evaluating many alternatives, we decided to go with the EL34BSTR, which we always thought sounded really good but in the last couple of years has become very reliable - which was not the case 5 or so years ago"

So the Ruby EL34BSTR might be a good candidate now.

Pittbull G100UL
    Deliverance 60
    Fatbottom 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by phonix View Post
    Just found this from Steve

"After evaluating many alternatives, we decided to go with the EL34BSTR, which we always thought sounded really good but in the last couple of years has become very reliable - which was not the case 5 or so years ago"

So the Ruby EL34BSTR might be a good candidate now.
    We've been using Mullard RIs since they were released, which was around early to mid 2000s.

The BSTR is what we were using before we switched to Mullard and they are still a good choice though they tend to be a bright tube. The Mullard is more balanced.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut