Thread: Regard Steve's comments on V30's/speaker impedance

Default Regard Steve's comments on V30's/speaker impedance

A while ago I read Steve's explanation of how the Vintage 30 has evolved, and at the end he pointed this out:

"When you change the impedance rating of the speaker, you also change the inductance of the coil which changes the resonant frequency among other things. Also an 8 ohm speaker will be driven by the amp set at 8 ohms which lowers the amplifier impedance (compared to the 16 ohm setup), and thereby lowers the amplifier damping factor, which flattens out the system (amp plus cab system) frequency response and resonant behavior. So if you have 2 identical amps and 2 identical cabs - one cab loaded with 8 ohm speakers and amp set to 8 next to one loaded with 16 ohm speakers and amp set to 16, they will sound noticably different. The 16 ohm rig will usually sound brighter and deeper."

So I've always wondered something. That applies when you're talking about 4x12 cabs, but what about the way a 2x12 is wired?
    What is going to achieve that wider frequency/more resonant/brighter/deeper feel?

Two 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load?
    Or two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load?

What is more important in the equation for a 2x12 cab...the individual speaker impedance, or the overall cab impedance?

Good one ! I always assumed the impedance the OT sees determines the damping but now you got me wondering too.

Let's hope Steve steps in....

Giga

What I like most about this post: OP has been here since 2007, and this is his first post!!!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

What I was referring to was the construction of the speaker itself. Taking a 16 ohm vintage 30 for example, if you simply decrease the speaker voice coil turns to make it an 8 ohm speaker, the chances that it would sound the same in all other respects are slim. By playing with other factors such as wire gauge and doping, they can me made to sound similar, but not identical.

So, it's important to know that when you are comparing cabs. Comparing two identical cabs operated by identical amplifiers, but one cab loaded with 8 ohm V30s and the amp set to 8 ohms vs one cab loaded with 16 ohm V30s and the amp set to 16 ohms, you are going to hear a pronounced difference in sound and performance. The differences will be partly the difference in electrical characteristics of the speakers and partly the resulting change in reactance of the amplifier.

Even so, I think you'll find that two 8 ohm speakers wired in series for a 16 ohm load will produce a deeper wider sound.
    Steven Michael Fryette
    Rantmeister In Chief
    www.facebook.com/steven.fryette

"What I create, I can destroy!" - Boris Karloff (Nightkey, 1937)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireSG View Post
    What I like most about this post: OP has been here since 2007, and this is his first post!!!
    I was thinking the same thing...
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Thanks a lot Steve!