Thread: Channel switch POP?

Default Channel switch POP?

I was playing my Sig today at around/maybe a little less than a band rehearsal volume. I'd get bad switch pop when changing channels. Sometimes it would go away but it seems to come back after turning on the "Boost" in whatever channel I'm in.

Is this a common issue?

i'm going off of memory here.

Try tightening the screws where the footswtich connects to the back of the amp. If i remember correctly that is also a ground for the footswitch.

thats the best help i can offer.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

do you mean the screws that hold the footswitch jack to the amp chassis? If so, I tightened those - though they weren't real loose to begin with, but I gave them an extra half turn.

The screw on the FS jack tip is also tight.

that is what i meant. If that didn't help, you should try emailing Fryette to see if they can offer suggestions.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

I did and I haven't gotten a reply. The switch pop has also gotten worse and when I change from the Rhythm to Lead channels there is a loud pop and then a very faint like pitch shifting down oscillation that is barely audible - it only happens on the lead channel and when swathing from the R to L.

I had almost exactly the same issue as you are describing and I also wrote to Fryette technical support. They said it was an inherent issue with the design, but it should be significantly less noticeable at band volume (I was a bedroom only player at the time). They offered to do a mod to the circuit that would help minimize the issue if I wanted to send it back to them. Note that mine was a very early model (VHT branded) and I believe they have made the mod that they told me about a standardized change to the circuit. I opted not to have any work done as I didn't want to pay for shipping and I wasn't concerned about it after learning that it was normal.

Quote Originally Posted by FRYLOCK View Post
    I was playing my Sig today at around/maybe a little less than a band rehearsal volume. I'd get bad switch pop when changing channels. Sometimes it would go away but it seems to come back after turning on the "Boost" in whatever channel I'm in.

Is this a common issue?
    My volume pot was bad and sent it to Fryette for repair - had I had the confidence it was the Volume pot, I might have don't it myself, but they also did some updates on it and once was fixing the channel switching pop.

After getting mine back from Fryette, I get zero pop now when switching channels.

My Sig: X was made under VHT, however, so my amp was a bit older. I'm not sure how old yours is - whether it is VHT or Fryette era. Email tech support and provide them with your serial number, they should be able to tell you whether yours has all the current updates.