Thread: Tell me about the Memphis Combo!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tell me about the Memphis Combo!

I've been a long time VHT/Fryette fanboy. I love my Sig X and 50cl, and loved the Deliverance 120 I used to have. But since I'm moving into a much smaller house, I was looking to downsize and simplify. Probably keep 1 of my head and a 4x12 Deliverance cab in storage, but maybe get a combo amp for playing. Something that would sound good at lower volumes and doesn't need to be cranked, with enough flexibility that I could use it to play out live later, mic'd.

I play everything from really low gain breakup, to lower/mid gain southern and blues rock, to higher gain modern hard rock type music. Overall, I prefer big, thick, aggressive, raw, cutting, articulate, tight type tones. I don't really need a squeaky clean 'Clean' channel.

Can some of you make some comparisons between its tones and features compared to the Sig X, 50cl or Deliverance amps that I've owned for reference? Thanks.

I should mention that I recently got a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo amp that actually sounds pretty good for a little combo. It has big sound for a 1x12 combo. Clean channel is a broken up/pushed clean which is perfect for me. Then with Crunch engaged, works great for all my lower to medium gain tones (Gain on 1.5). Then the Red channel (which is very noisy!) for my higher gain, modern hard rock type tones (Gain on 2). I'm actually quite pleasantly suprised with this little combo amp, but also assume that if I acquired a Memphis combo, that it would blow the 6505+ outa the water

HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50cl
    CABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12
    GUITARS: PRS

The Memphis combo is highly versatile. Speaking from experience years ago with a 6505+ head I owned, the Memphis has more to offer. First the tones are endless with this amp. Clean channel is chimey and can get dirty. The drive channel goes from dirtier clean to heavy distortion. It can do metal. I don't care what others say.

Tweakers paradise with easy access to preamp tubes. The choice of loops. Boost switch. Cool LED's. Easy on your back. Handles pedals well.

Did I leave anything out? Oh... nice reverb plus it compensates the level for the drive channel. Brilliant!

this watt is to much Loud...
    Last edited by John123; 11-16-2016 at 01:25 AM.

Thumps up for Memfus! What he wrote meets exactly my experience...I would add, that the Memphis corresponds with my pedals in a very musically way. Just today I had big fun in recording a nice blues rock vamp using the Tech21 SansAmp Pedal (1st edition from the 80's), my Haar Strat and the clean channel. It turned out to be some kind of "7ender Bassman like" - luve it! Btw, I own the Memphis head...

Any more info or opinions?

Can the 'Clean' channel get into low-medium gain territory - like AC/DC for example, or is best suited for just cleans and cleans with slight break up?

I've read that the amp is really loud. But does it sound pretty good at lower volumes, or does it need to be cranked to sound great?

From my humbucker only experience the clean channel will reach that gain level with ease .. it is a loud amp though clean headroom may or may not be a problem depending how "squeaky" you like your cleans at band volumes without a pa to mic up ... overall volumes no probs though ,and it can sound great at low volume i.e house volume , and you can use the loop to a degree to bring that down further , though no master volume so dont expect full spectrum tone at whisper quiet levels ...

I didn't see that there was a seperate 'Gain' setting for the Clean channel on the Memphis, just Volume. So how does a person set the Clean channel to get low to medium gain tones (think AC/DC, etc.) at lower volumes?

I don't need super clean Clean tones. I would like to set 1 channel up for lower Gain blues/rock type tones (and roll my gtr volume back for Cleans), and the other channel for my higher Gain, modern hard rock type tones.

Set the Clean channel to Boost and control the volume/overdrive from your guitar. There is intentionally no master on the clean channel. This is because a good clean pushed sound is best accomplished by hitting the power section harder. If it had a master you'd just get a thin gritty useless clean/dirt sound at very low volumes.

Set the Clean channel to 18W to make it easier to overdrive, but don't expect slammin power amp distortion at bedroom volume.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

I like the distortion a lot more than I like the cleans