Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D120 for bedroom usage?

Default D120 for bedroom usage?

been a guitarist at home so far .. i recently bumped into a good price for a D120... think it was produced way like in 2008... would like to know if Fryette had done any kinda revision for the D120?

Can i be able to obtain good tones out of D120 without being loud playing in my room?
    how would any of you guys here compare D120 to a 50CL? do i get more classic marshally tones off than a 50CL?

D120, it'll sound ok at low volume...but that was never the intent with the amp. gotta open it up!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

I use a THD Hot Plate with my D120 at home & with band.... Like mentioned this amp really is about band volume. I can get alright results at home.... but it is a lot of power for low dB's.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireSG View Post
    D120, it'll sound ok at low volume...but that was never the intent with the amp. gotta open it up!
    hellfireSG.. what level are we looking at for the master to be set on Hot? have heard clips of D120 think was a russian guy doing it named yagad? and the tones is thick kinda dark which i also like... so because of the Voicing knob that deals with the Gain structure differently am i right to say that the 50CL is missing out on that ability?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    I use a THD Hot Plate with my D120 at home & with band.... Like mentioned this amp really is about band volume. I can get alright results at home.... but it is a lot of power for low dB's.
    Hi Stephan...well is the D120 of yours running with a hotplate being significantly hotter than without? how much difference are we looking at?

can we yield hotter results biasing at higher current into the tubes?

alot of people says the D120 is a great amp and is different from the Pittbull series.. i may wanna give it a go

Arrow

I have been using attenuation on & off since I had a Tom Scholz Power Soak / over 30 years. As with any amp how you are running the poweramp effects the whole voice. Poweramp distortion is very different than preamp distortion. Poweramp saturation is very different than preamp saturation. Poweramp overdrive is all about harmonics, dynamics, grind & the way it reacts to my hands. It is about blending preamp distortion & poweramp overdrive to get the voice you want. With less preamp distortion (like medium gain) I prefer more poweramp distortion (maybe 11~2 o'clock master). If I am using highgain preamp sounds in general I want the poweramp pretty clean (9~11 master). I do not usually dime the poweramp using attenuation or not. I usually run the master between 9 & 2 o'clock.

So what I do is set up the amp for the voice I want - then set the attenuation for the amount of dB's I want to hear in the room. Then I fine tune the amp. When I use different amounts of attenuation I set up the amp different. Nothing drastic .... just fine tune to get the voice where I want it. In general the more attenuation the more I increase the highs & lows on the amp to get the balance I want. Also it is important to remember all attenuation colors the sound regardless of who made it. Also speaker breakup only comes cranking the dB's with the speaker being driven.

The D120 poweramp does not open up till about 9 o'clock or so ... it is pretty loud at this point. Also the master jumps in dB's pretty fast as it kicks in.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

But is there anything that a D120 can do where the Sig x cant?

Is the gain controls for the saturation same for both?

Am thinking D120 is just too huge to be in bedroom.. inturn i may look at the Sig X which is more suitable at 40watts and 100watts.

Arrow

I have a Sig X & D120. The Rhythm channel of the Sig X is very similar to the Deliverance ... but they both have their own voice. The Deliverance is a more raw voice. Sig X more refined. The lead channel on the Sig X can get more preamp saturation than the Deliverance. The Deliverance has more bass. The Deliverance has 2 voices from switch(LESS & MORE). The Sig X has 120 voices with switches.

They both have the GAIN I & GAIN II .... VOICING ~ tonal balance & Saturation (on Sig X) / Overdrive (on Deliverance). I find this very useful to shape the sound.

I am not giving advise other than try both before you buy. .... But if I was just going to use one it would be the Sig X because it has more versatility. For me it also is easier to get good sounds at lower volumes with the master on the Sig X. Even at home most of the time I use the master ....with no attenuation.

Like most amps these amps sound best at larger volumes..... about perfect for me at band volumes.
    Last edited by stephen sawall; 09-22-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Mysteries Double Post ?

All the advice mentioned is right on. The Deliverance is a massive BEAST! It sounds ok at lower volumes, but really comes to life when Master volume is at 9:00 - which is way too loud for a bedroom. These amps weren't designed for bedroom volume.

The Sig X is much more versatile of an amp, sounds a little better at lower volumes, gets really really close to the D120, but doesn't have the wrecking ball punchy rupture your spleen lows and raw aggression that the D120 has.

The 50cl sounds like a hot rodded Marshall with the EL34's, but still has plenty of low end and thickness. It also sounds ok at low volumes but really sounds better when cranked.

Once you've heard these amps cranked up a little, it's like such a waste to play them at bedroom volumes. Again, they sound ok, but they sound so AWESOME when turned up!

HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50cl
    CABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12
    GUITARS: PRS

Would not suggest a Fryette for bedroom use. Tbh, they sound kinda like shit til you open them up with volume. They are meant to be played with a band, not in your bedroom, and with that in mind, I'm kinda going back and forth with being okay with it's tone and being frustrated. YMMV
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers