Thread: My problem wasn't the speakers...

Default My problem wasn't the speakers...

My problem, in fact, was the Boss SD-1 based MXR Wylde Overdrive, which changes a few things, but doesn't remove the useless "blanket over the cabinet" resistor. I recently got a Joyo Ultimate Drive [it's supposedly a complete OCD clone], and my tone is wayyyy better. The low end is still there, but tight, the controls on the amp are much more usable, and the tone knob on the Ultimate Drive is a lot better. It's pretty much "there" now.

So, the thread where I complained about cabinets and speakers, I should have been complaining about the pedal, which was a $40 fix. Now, the amp sounds freaking awesome and super mean, so I'm probably going to trade two EMG 81s I have in the neck position of my guitars for two 85s.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Glad you sorted that out. Where is the original thread?

Troubleshooting is half art, half science. It requires that you question everything and especially the most obvious and unlikely suspects first - like cops questioning the loving, responsible husband that everybody in the neighborhood likes and would never suspect when the wife dies suddenly.

When I get stuck on a repair problem that I can't solve, I start by testing my test equipment. Weak meter battery? Bad test lead? Wrong function/range setting? Then I examine my first repair attempt. In those two steps I usually find half of my problems. When checking tubes, I only change one at a time to make sure I've found the bad one. If there's more than one, it will reveal itself soon enough. When people post about sound issues, I always recommend stripping the rig down to guitar and amp first.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    Glad you sorted that out. Where is the original thread?

Troubleshooting is half art, half science. It requires that you question everything and especially the most obvious and unlikely suspects first - like cops questioning the loving, responsible husband that everybody in the neighborhood likes and would never suspect when the wife dies suddenly.

When I get stuck on a repair problem that I can't solve, I start by testing my test equipment. Weak meter battery? Bad test lead? Wrong function/range setting? Then I examine my first repair attempt. In those two steps I usually find half of my problems. When checking tubes, I only change one at a time to make sure I've found the bad one. If there's more than one, it will reveal itself soon enough. When people post about sound issues, I always recommend stripping the rig down to guitar and amp first.
    That's essentially what I did. Started with adding the MXR Noise Clamp, then the Black Label Chorus, then the Dime wah and noticed from that that their was no "blanket over the speaker cabs" sorta sound until I added the Wylde Overdrive back in. I swear Zakk has his modded [even if a very slight, minor modification], other than just the knobs. If you take a little trek down modders lane, you'll notice everyone mentions a pointless capacitor and most of them call it the "blanket over the speaker" capacitor. I figured the Wylde OD would've taken this out along with the other minor mods they did [mainly to have the OD boost more in the midrange and less in the high end], but for some dumb reason, they didn't. I'm gonna pop open my Wylde OD and see if it's Surface Mount or regular PCB components.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by LTD Deluxe H-1001 View Post
    That's essentially what I did. Started with adding the MXR Noise Clamp, then the Black Label Chorus, then the Dime wah and noticed from that that their was no "blanket over the speaker cabs" sorta sound until I added the Wylde Overdrive back in. I swear Zakk has his modded [even if a very slight, minor modification], other than just the knobs. If you take a little trek down modders lane, you'll notice everyone mentions a pointless capacitor and most of them call it the "blanket over the speaker" capacitor. I figured the Wylde OD would've taken this out along with the other minor mods they did [mainly to have the OD boost more in the midrange and less in the high end], but for some dumb reason, they didn't. I'm gonna pop open my Wylde OD and see if it's Surface Mount or regular PCB components.
    Yes Really I agree with you....