Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers, Popularity, and Amp Show

Default Speakers, Popularity, and Amp Show

I have been very interested lately in the Memphis 30. And I think I want one...but...

What would the Fryette AR75 speaker be similar to?

How would the Head-only match up to a 2x12 cab with a V30 & 12H30 combo?

Is there a dealer between San Fran and L.A. right now, that actually has a Memphis 30 to demo and sell?

Will Fryette and a Memphis 30 have a spot at the L.A Amp Show coming this October?

Quote Originally Posted by syscokid View Post
    What would the Fryette AR75 speaker be similar to?
    Hard to say. It was designed specifically for this amp in conjunction with the design of the cab. The reverb tone was also taken into consideration of the design. Remember, that the dedicated speaker has to work well with all aspects of the amps performance. A V30 or some other speaker may make one aspect of the amp better for a particular player, but at the expense of many other aspects. This is why many amps using V30s sound good for OD, ratty for clean and generally terrible for spring reverb.

How would the Head-only match up to a 2x12 cab with a V30 & 12H30 combo?
    It kills through every 212 and 412 we've tried with it. Haven't tried with dissimilar speaker combos, but that's irrelevant if the cab the speakers are mounted in has shortcomings. If the cab sounds good, it'll sound great with this amp. I'm hearing talk of a possible Memphis 212 cab. That's a pretty good indicator of what the PTB think of the 212 concept.

Is there a dealer between San Fran and L.A. right now, that actually has a Memphis 30 to demo and sell?
    Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks has a demo head and combo.
    GC Hollywood had a combo for sale as recently as last week.

Will Fryette and a Memphis 30 have a spot at the L.A Amp Show coming this October?
    Good question. I haven't heard anything about it yet, but I''ll ask.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

while we are at it, is there any Dealers up in San Francisco area that have one...i have been dying to try one out...or if anyone on the forum wants to hang and try out what i have, if they have a Memphis i can check out.....
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireSG View Post
    while we are at it, is there any Dealers up in San Francisco area that have one...i have been dying to try one out...or if anyone on the forum wants to hang and try out what i have, if they have a Memphis i can check out.....
    Sorry, I don't think so. The current run looks to be already sold out, so the ones we are shipping soon have homes. I'm sure that will change once we actually ship, but we won't know how that plays out until then - a few weeks away. I'll post an update when they ship.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Wink

Thanks for the reply and info. This sounds very promising. Even though this amp has gotten some pretty nice reviews, IMO it appears to be actually underated. Which also IMO makes it even more special...

The Memphis is most definately underrated IMO. It's an incredible little amp. I hear raves elsewhere about the Diezel Schmidt, I have a Schmidt which I also love, but the M beats it for what I like. I will say that Peter D is a super nice guy and has unbeatable customer service though. For example he helped me find and correct an incorrect value resistor that was causing a tonal imbalance between crunch and lead channels ( a small error during original assembly), he followed that up by telling me how to fine tune the voicings to suit my requirements and was quite free with info. never once did he use the "presume the customer is an idiot with no ears or knowledge" philosophy which I've experienced with some other manufacturers.
    I'd be REALLY interested in a Memphis 2x12 if it were to become available. I use an open back 2x12 with 12H30 anniversary's. 2x12 is a fantastic configuration for the Memphis! Never been keen on 1x12 boxes.
    Last edited by grumpypom; 07-08-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Well...my intentions were to wait till I actually got to take a Memphis for a test run. I couldn't help it when I stumbled on a used one in absolutely mint condition for a reasonable price.

It's here, and it's just an amazing amp! The sound...the looks...and build quality "es muy primo"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Congrats!!!!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Hope you guys do decide to go to the amp show. It's a great place for people to check out amps (and guitars and pedals and stuff) that they normally wouldn't be able to, as well as to meet the builders. I think many people haven't tried the Memphis 30 because of their preconception that Fryette builds hard rock/metal amps. If they could try one and see/hear the versatility and great sound I think many would be blown away. There's always more than a few great players walking around the show as well.
    Last edited by GuitArtMan; 09-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitArtMan View Post
    Hope you guys do decide to go to the amp show. It's a great place for people to check out amps (and guitars and pedals and stuff) that they normally wouldn't be able to, as well as to meet the builders. I think many people haven't tried the Memphis 20 because of their preconception that Fryette builds hard rock/metal amps. If they could try one and see/hear the versatility and great sound I think many would be blown away. There's always more than a few great players walking around the show as well.
    Really agree with this.

I'm only 3 hours up the coast from the L.A. Amp Show (Van Nuys, CA. Oct 6 & 7), and I would like to make my first "pilgrimage" to this event. As of today, I still don't see Fryette's name on the Show-Exhibitors list!!!!
    Amp show link: http://www.ampshow.com/

BTW...the Fryette Memphis 30 is such a ****ingly ****ing awesome amp...