Thread: VHT Pitbull 50 CL - EL34 - KT77 - E34L

Default VHT Pitbull 50 CL - EL34 - KT77 - E34L

Hello, I read this page a lot but havent posted until now. I absolutly LOVE my Sig X. I recently picked up a 50 CL which I can dial in a good tone but havent quite dialed in an amazing tone.

I was curious as to what all tubes people have tried. I play Rock/Metal, I dont mid-scoop or play chug chug parts but i do wish to have better bass response than the standard el34's give me. I seem to love all my amps that have 6550 or kt88's in them. I also loved my old JSX when i put kt77's in it.

Anyway, this is also my first experience with a 50watt head. Any tips?

keep the master volume at about 2 o'clock or higher (i kept mine at full tilt), and use the channel volumes to match volume level.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

I love my Sig X and 50cl. I'm back and forth depending on the day on which one I prefer. I play modern, hard rock type music.

It seems to me that the 50cl has just a touch more growl to it than the Sig when the EL34's are being pushed, which I really like. But it's so close the way I have them dialed in, and the Sig X is even more versatile than the highly versatile 50cl, so I can't figure out which one to use as my main amp!

HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50cl
    CABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12
    GUITARS: PRS

last night i used the 50CL for all of practice and followed some advice i got off here and it sounded great. Still wasnt quite cutting through how i would like but it was getting there! I can tell that this head can do a lot, i was just over adjusting the 6band EQ. The depth and presence controls on the back are what i should focus more on. I have the presence at about 10 Oclock and the depth at about 3 Oclock. Even on the SIG:X i prefer the presence really low.
    Guitars:
    ESP Eclipse II
    PRS AL D Sig Model

Heads:
    Fryette Sig X
    VHT 50CL
    EVH 5150-III
    Krank Rev+
    Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII
    Framus Dragon

Cabs:
    Orange 4x12
    Mesa Recto 4x12

i use the depth and presence and i dont use the EQ at all....i keep the presence at about noon....
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Part from all that might be worthwhile checking the bias and tubes are all up to scratch to for 100% best tone and bass response ... cheers

I never played a CL but I have a 2/50/2. That amp got way fatter sounding when I put JJ KT77's in it.

Experimenting with different brands for the PI tube might surprise you also. (disclaimer: see manual to learn what Fryette has to say about that)

Giga

I have the 100 Cl, not sure if this will help.

Try a few different brands of tubes in V1, if you want more bark...Try a Groove Tube, i ended up with an odd one 12ax7-r something or other. I'd have to refer back to the amp. I have yet to mess with the other pre-amp tubes.

I have the JJ E34L for power and the rest of the preamp tubes are high gain and balanced JJ's.

Crank the master!!!! Dont be afraid of the channel mids on this amp either, 3 o'clock or so for me. Shift off, eq to fine tune (reduce) mid frequencies.

Good cab is a must as well. Boost to tighten up a little, active pups seem to like this amp too i.m.o.

I did this with my VHT when I got it, with great results:
    - Groove Tube in V1, added sizzle and edge.
    - High master volume setting. 2-3:00 minimum.
    - V30's and V12 Legends. Mesa 4x12 and Randall 2x12 running together.
    - High presence and resonance settings. Conservative bass and treble settings.