Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memphis vs PB45

Default Memphis vs PB45

So I sold my ST a few years back because I wanted more power and gain but I don't really need that with my playing heading were it's heading so I'm thinking of the above 3 amps .. I love the ST and I have checked out bits n peices on both others but if anyones spent some time with I'm wondering how they kinda compare voicing wise ? I know they are both very versatile, at face value it looks as if the Memphis has maybe more tone shaping options and capable of being more aggressive .. The PB still maybe has the ultimate clean channel though? So basically does the Memphis sound as "good" as the 45 or the 45 offers less shaping but sounds even more amazing .. Some sorta specific sounds I'm chasing are " holy ...k That's the best channel I've ever heard and a thick round meaty distortion similar to some Queens of the stone age stuff" as in still heavy but not in modern metal way , seeing as I can't try either before I buy any inputs good ... Only toying with the head versions to use with my D cab btw , thanks

Hi Cam. i've had both the PB45 and the M30 combo and currently use a D60 (have not played the ST). of course, all this is imo:

i kinda view the M30 as an evolution of the PB45 (via the SigX). i think they are very different amps, tho. generally speaking the PB45 is more in-your-face while the M30 has a more rubbery feel. both cleans are excellent, with the PB45 being a bit more steely and fast and the M30 softer and rounder (depending on the voicing). and both amps are very dynamic and sensitive to the vol knob fiddling - on both channels.

the M30 has more usuable tonal options. much more gain on tap and the voicing switches are brilliant - i could set the eq for the room and flip switches all night for different sounds/feel. also, speaking strictly of 1-12 combos, the bigger cab for the M30 combo fills out the bottom end nicely; the PB45 1-12 combo can be boxy sometimes.

both amps have their strengths, but if i had to choose a gigging amp it would be the Memphis.

hth,
    mike

Hi Mike , thanks alot for the info , thats great and does help ... i've only got a few days to get the PB (also pretty rare to see a 240v here) if i go ahead where as the Memphis is fairly easy to get at a later date which would also suit me better .. i spose i also wanted to know if the Memphis basically could still sound 100% or close to as "traditional " as the i read the PB was designed and built for , if it can and could be said is an evolution of that design offering that base and a lot more options on top well sweet.. there the words i wanted to hear sounds ideal for what im after .. ugh i hate gas , glad i dont get it too often ... cheers

allrighty , im really thinkin the Memphis , probably a silly question being a Fryette but also at 30 watts is the clean channel still clean at loud drummer volumes (itll be at least 2x12 ) ?

I have been using a PB45 (and Super 30 and 50/ST) for many years and last year I sold my Super 30 to put money towards a Memphis. The Memphis had some superb tones but I couldn't get the clean channel to stay clean enough when gigging. I play in a swing / jazz band and on some songs I need the amp to remain pretty clean but I couldn't get the Memphis to do that.... and as a band we tend not to play particularly loud. I know that putting a mic in front of it and sticking it through the PA could have possibly solved the issue but particularly in small clubs, I like to just turn the amp up a bit and the Pittbull combos seem to give me that cleaner clarity so I sold the Memphis and ended up buying back my Super 30.

Don't get me wrong - the Memphis is a superb amp with some incredible tones but with my current band and requirements, I prefer the S30 and PB45. I hope that I haven't put a spanner in the works with regards to your decision making but I just wanted to share my experience with you.

i would agree with 50ST about the clean channel. it was perfect for the style i played at that time, but i can see where some players might want more clarity at volume. (i only have experience with the combo tho).

Thanks , don't worry about throwing spanners all helps with making a decision , much appreciated info ... Cheers guys

Hey Cam

I see the PB45 you're looking at. That one belonged to a friend of mine here in Sydney who is a really good player. I know that particular amp as it was here for a repair, which ended up just being a retube. I know he hardly used it so it's in very good condition.
    I don't know the dude who's selling it now. My mate sold it to him a short time ago.
    By the way I have a Memphis head about to arrive, tomorrow I hope after a stupidly long customs experience!!
    I found the 45 to be similar sounding voicing wise to my CLX which is a '96, of course you have the EL84's to factor in but still a similar flavour. Neither the 45 or the CLX sound or feel too much like my Sig:X.
    Shame you're in Brissy as you'd be welcome to come and try the Memphis out.

Hey mate , ah ok yeh looks in really great shape ... slighty suprised to hear its similar to the clx i guess its in the same PB line up ... good news on the Memphis , and thanks for the offer that would be great , have you played one or just taking a punt? i figure you probably cant go wrong with either though its just a matter of picking the most practical which im struggling with .. thanks for the heads up on the PB, ill see how it pans out on the Bay.. price will be a factor as i can get a pretty good deal on a Memphis at the moment to .. let us know how you rate yours anyway , cheers .

No I'm just taking a punt but really.....I love the Fryette voicing and I love all the stuff from SF that I've tried, I have a Sig, a CLX and two GP3's and love them all. I'm sure I'll like the Memphis.
    Actually, it's difficult to recall exactly as the 45 was at my place a couple of years ago but I still think the general flavour of the two Pitbulls is similar but obviously not the same entirely. Anyway both Pitbulls are quite different to the Sig. I find the GP3's are in between the Pitbulls and the Sig.
    Funnily enough I find VHT/Fryette stuff to be easy to play, these amps react exactly how I want for the most part, so I find I'm not fighting the amp all the time like I do with a Mesa for example. I can never get those things to do what I want although some players seem to do well with them.....just not me.
    Do you have a Memphis lined up locally or are you going the import route?