Thread: Penta Labs KT88SC's

Default Penta Labs KT88SC's

WOW! these things have some heft to 'em, compared to the sed's/sovvies. their construction inside look a lot beefier/sturdier. anyway, i just wanted to let youz guys know that i put a set of these in today, & as much as i wanna start jumpin' up and down, suffice it to say, so far, so good. having said that, these things are da fukkin' BOMB!!! i EASILY like 'em as much as the sed's, but let me live with 'em for a few weeks, at least until they burn in. they were eezy-peezy to bias up (got the avg dist ones), & i also whacked in a new p.i., a sovvie 12ax7lps, just so i could start on an even playing field, as far as the power section is concerned.

it looks like the chinese have stepped up their game with this valve, & it's lookin' like they're quite reliable in terms of their current stock. doug/steve, i really think you should check these out, because i have a feeling you might like 'em. the amp sounds really big & more musical, so far, & more 3d-like, if you will. i got 'em from doug's tubes...
    Last edited by muddy; 02-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    "I come from a background of experimental music which mingled real sounds together with musical sounds." - Ennio Morricone

"no, no, you're all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-ZON that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

"no no no, a little more hew-manatee, pleez!" - tr

I kinda wanted to try some, but emailed support and they said that Chinese power tubes in the past went [I believe] microphonic too soon. That said, aren't they like 75 bucks a pair or something?
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Default pentas

things change. these were actually $104 for the duet, as much as the gold lions. it really comes down to how well the toob is made, & these look like they were OVER-engineered. they make the sovvies look like toys, between the construction, the glass, & 3 getters. i did a LOT of research before choosing, & bought them on doug's (tubes) recommendation, who said they sounded better than current sed's. & like i said , they were EASY to bias, they're quiet, & tonally, almost push the amp into dumble-land (dynamically, too). seriously, the chinese got it VERY right with this tube; it LOOKS like the 60's genny i have. trust me, they are NOTHING at all like other chinese valves; they're built like a tank, and a bit taller, as well. just make sure you get 'em from a reputable dealer like doug...

ml

Quote Originally Posted by LTD Deluxe H-1001 View Post
    I kinda wanted to try some, but emailed support and they said that Chinese power tubes in the past went [I believe] microphonic too soon. That said, aren't they like 75 bucks a pair or something?
    "I come from a background of experimental music which mingled real sounds together with musical sounds." - Ennio Morricone

"no, no, you're all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-ZON that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

"no no no, a little more hew-manatee, pleez!" - tr

I was tempted to try these but went with the Ruby STR's form Doug's instead. Maybe next time. The Ruby's sound really good too. Doug sells great tubes!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    things change. these were actually $104 for the duet, as much as the gold lions. it really comes down to how well the toob is made, & these look like they were OVER-engineered. they make the sovvies look like toys, between the construction, the glass, & 3 getters. i did a LOT of research before choosing, & bought them on doug's (tubes) recommendation, who said they sounded better than current sed's. & like i said , they were EASY to bias, they're quiet, & tonally, almost push the amp into dumble-land (dynamically, too). seriously, the chinese got it VERY right with this tube; it LOOKS like the 60's genny i have. trust me, they are NOTHING at all like other chinese valves; they're built like a tank, and a bit taller, as well. just make sure you get 'em from a reputable dealer like doug...

ml
    $104 a duet? o.O Pass.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers