Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P50Es vs. EVM 12L?

Default P50Es vs. EVM 12L?

Hi, new member here!

I've got a D212 cab loaded with P50Es, and although I like the cab, I'm feeling the urge to try something different. A lot of people seem to swear by EVs whether it's for gainy tones or cleans, so I'm curious.

How does a P50 compare to a EVM12L and what would I gain or lose by swapping out the P50s in a D212 cab?

I'm running a Deliverance 60 and might also be running a Sig:X in the future. My tones are all over the place from sparkly cleans to heavy chug to fuzzed out madness.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiK View Post
    Hi, new member here! How does a P50 compare to a EVM12L and what would I gain or lose by swapping out the P50s in a D212 cab?
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm curious to hear from people how they feel about EVs too. We have a lot of experience with those and these days it seems odd that such a clean high powered speaker would become popular again. But you never know. Depends a lot on how you set the amp.

AFAIC they are much too clean and mid heavy, but some of that has to do with the cab. The D cab would definitely help give that speaker a little loose feel that I think it needs, but that's just my opinion - and they are HEAVY - like almost 3 times the weight of the P50.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

3 times the weight? Yikes, I knew they were heavy, but not that they were that heavy!

Too clean and mid heavy? So far most of what I've read seem to describe them as loud, punchy and fairly flat EQwise. That doesn't sound too bad to me, but overly clean and mid heavy doesn't sound too nice.

Anyone else got any opinions on the EVs? I know I'll eventually just have to buy them and hear for myself, but I'd love some more opinions before that.

I have two EV12l's that I bought back in the early 80's. First off they really do weigh an absolute ton, the magnets on these are huge and it's some kind of heavy cast basket.
    Originally I had these two EV's in a silverface twin and you couldn't lift the thing. Have fun lifting your 2x12 with 12L's in there!
    I find the 12L's to be flat, lifeless and bland for what I'm looking for. If you're after a Jazzy/fusion Larry Carlton type sound then they're great for that. From what I can recall they're rated at around 240watts each or something ( could be wrong there....it's a long time ago), so your D2x12 should be good for around 500 watts!!!
    Last edited by grumpypom; 01-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpypom View Post
    I have two EV12l's that I bought back in the early 80's. First off they really do weigh an absolute ton, the magnets on these are huge and it's some kind of heavy cast basket.
    Originally I had these two EV's in a silverface twin and you couldn't lift the thing. Have fun lifting your 2x12 with 12L's in there!
    I find the 12L's to be flat, lifeless and bland for what I'm looking for. If you're after a Jazzy/fusion Larry Carlton type sound then they're great for that. From what I can recall they're rated at around 240watts each or something ( could be wrong there....it's a long time ago), so your D2x12 should be good for around 500 watts!!!
    Pretty much right on from my experience. I did hear a 12L in our old ported 1X12 cab and was suprised at how good it sounded. But that was an entirely different animal.

Trust me, you don't want to haul a D212 around with those things in it...
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Arrow

I have a pair I have had since about '87 ..... they do not break up much at all. They are great for lead and even better big clean sounds. Easy one of my favorite speakers for clean. For my taste I do not like them much for crunch rhythm work...
    In some ways they are more like a PA speaker than a guitar speaker. I see them as a full range / flat response speaker.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I guess I'll spare my back and my wallet and skip the EVs for now, it was all probably just pointless GAS anyway.

Arrow

I get the worst GAS attacks from gear I have not plugged into yet. If I have not heard it .... even worse. Strange how the mind does that .....
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

Another option to the EVM is a Weber design. I want to say it's the Michigan or maybe California that's an EVM clone.

I use a pair of EVM 12L's Black Label model in a Port City OS 2x12 Cab. I beat them with my D120.

I like them a lot, they are clear and defined, not at all harsh (IMHO) and give you back exactly what you put in. Cleans are great, dirt is big and nasty and warm. I've tried a number of speakers in a number of cabs and this config works best for me.

Plus, the cab is so heavy, I was able to cancel my gym membership. All I need to do to workout is gig.