Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modtone Xcelerator Volume Pedal

Default Modtone Xcelerator Volume Pedal

I recently added a Modtone Xcelerator volume pedal to my board and loved it, ... at first. Then I practiced with my band and noticed some tone and volume suck-age that I didn't notice at bedroom volume levels. The volume pedal function works great and swells sound amazing mixed with my TC nova reverb and repeater, but when I play with high levels of gain, the sound is dull and lifeless. I tried a few different setups with different results:

#1:
    Guitar -> Valvulator -> Whammy -> Crybaby -> Boss CH-1 -> Boss NS-2 -> Modtone volume -> Sig:X input -> effects send -> Boss EQ-7 -> TC Nova Repeater -> TC Nova reverb -> effects return.

This created a noticeable drop in volume (gain) and high end.

#2:
    Guitar -> Valvulator -> Whammy -> Crybaby -> Boss CH-1 -> Modtone Volume -> Boss NS-2 -> Sig:X input -> effects send -> Boss EQ-7 -> TC Nova Repeater -> TC Nova reverb -> effects return.

Same as setup #1 but with reduced, still noticeable, side effects.

#3:
    Guitar -> Valvulator -> Whammy -> Crybaby -> Boss CH-1 -> Boss NS-2 -> Sig:X input -> effects send -> Boss EQ-7 -> TC Nova Repeater -> TC Nova reverb -> Modtone Volume -> effects return.

Holy Crap!!! Horrible! Dropped my volume in HALF when the loop was engaged and sounded washed out (can't think of how else to describe it). I did make sure the volume pedal was up all the way and in case it matters the effects loop was set to "lo" level and series with the effects level at about 3 o'clock (which otherwise is around unity for my setup, sans Modtone volume).

Has anyone had similar experiences with volume pedals? Why am I getting such a crazy reaction in the loop? Maybe I got a lemon volume pedal? I'd like to rectify the problem because I love using volume pedals for clean swell effects and unfortunately I can't find my invoice from GC's shipment so I might be stuck with this thing.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Volume pedals usually lose a bit of signal but the V1 should fix most of that. Have you tried a different pedal? The Ernie Ball one is historically the least intrusive.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    The Ernie Ball one is historically the least intrusive.
    I would recommend the Boss FV 500 L...build as a tank, and cheaper, worth to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    Volume pedals usually lose a bit of signal but the V1 should fix most of that.
    At next practice I'm going to try and run it before the V1, just to see the difference. Is it possible the volume pedal is reacting poorly BECAUSE of the buffer? Ernie Ball and other manufacturers offer both passive and active volume pedals so maybe the "active" signal after the V1 isn't reacting well with the passive Modtone?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellseeker View Post
    At next practice I'm going to try and run it before the V1, just to see the difference. Is it possible the volume pedal is reacting poorly BECAUSE of the buffer? Ernie Ball and other manufacturers offer both passive and active volume pedals so maybe the "active" signal after the V1 isn't reacting well with the passive Modtone?
    No, but try it before the V1 and see what happens. Passive vs active volume pedals are typically different pots, usually 500K-1M vs 10K-25K.
    Dave Phelge
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

I'd check what value pot there is inside that pedal. Seems to be too low from your description.

Giga

Arrow

If I understand correct .... Most active volume pedal the only differences is range from passive. They are not actually active themselves.

The pot difference Dave mention is what I have always seen. Other than that there is no difference.

What is the value of the pot in your pedal out of curiosity ?
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

The pot is 250k. I also tried the volume pedal BEFORE the V-1 with the same bad results as the pedal being after the noise suppressor. Would bumping the pot up to the 500k-100M range help my signal loss? If I wanted to use the pedal in the effects loop, should the pot be a specific value? Thanks for all the help by the way!

The pot is 250k. I also tried the volume pedal BEFORE the V-1 with the same bad results as the pedal being after the noise suppressor. Would bumping the pot up to the 500k-100M range help my signal loss? If I wanted to use the pedal in the effects loop, should the pot be a specific value? Thanks for all the help by the way!
    250K is a useless value in a volume pedal. Too high for active operation, to low for passive. I'll bet money that if you change it to a 25K or a 1M you'd still have a problem with the travel, which is what determines how far open or closed the pot can get.

Instead of trying to fix something that is poorly concieved in the first place, I'd recommend a reliable well known pedal like the EB. The choice, as always, is: do you want it to work right and get back to playing, or do you want to save a buck and be miserable until you finally realize the saving wasn't worth the aggravation?

Sorry to be so blunt, but best to cut to the chase.
    Dave Phelge
    support@fryette.com

Assuming your guitar has a 500k volumepot in it (and disregarding the tonepot for a minute) this means your virtual volume can never get above 500 x 250 : 500 + 250 = 166 : 500 = roughly 1/3 on the dial. No wonder that doesn't sound right, right ?.

Another suggestion that I've found to work superb: Morley Little Alligator. You have to get used to the taper/travel though but absolutely transparent (at least in my situation).

Giga