Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VALVULATOR GP3 Gain Modification

First off Hello everyone My first post here.I'm looking forward to get the GP3 pre.Does the Factory GP3 lack gain?

2. Default

does n e 1 know if similar mods can be done with the classic head?
    gear:
    91 robin medley usa
    ESP MII dlx CS
    ESP MI custom blodstroem sig. CS
    Jackson SL-1 CS
    '91 VHT Pittbull classic G-100-CL
    some engl cabs and other stuff

3. Default Soooo -

Sorry I'm not clear, here, but has anyone done this (or know if it CAN be done) to the UL head? Seems like it's kind of the ticket for me. I know Steve F said that the preamp section was at least very similar, though I can't remember if he said identical...

Any answers?

Yeah, this sounds just the ticket for a CL/100 so I can use it live with my heavier bands... any luck doing this mod to heads?

Who does no one answer me?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMonkey
    Who does no one answer me?
    Because noone knows perhaps ?

Seriously, the schematics for VHT aren't widely spread so unless you find someone able to figure out the board, it will be very hard to find out which components to change.

You could try Trace at Voodoo amps, he modded more then 1 UL

Giga.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Giga
    Because noone knows perhaps ?

Seriously, the schematics for VHT aren't widely spread so unless you find someone able to figure out the board, it will be very hard to find out which components to change.

You could try Trace at Voodoo amps, he modded more then 1 UL

Giga.
    Trace is one of the best techs out there, but I don't unsderstand that someone has to mod a UL. The amp has everything.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRageOn
    Trace is one of the best techs out there, but I don't unsderstand that someone has to mod a UL. The amp has everything.
    I was thinking about this today, the problem with UL is that it sounds so clear and ultra defined that someone could think there is no enough gain, it never gets muddy even when gain knob gets maxed and that's where you feel like there could be more!!!
    But I compared it to other amps and it has way more gain, with others you have to stop the gain knob around 7 to 8 otherwise the od gets too much compression and starts farting...
    But before modding it I think a boost is the best way to go

Yes I believe you are correct in that the gain is 'clear' if you will. I have been using the GP3 now for over a year and always thought that channel 3 with all the boost, dynamics, eq and setting to obtain as much gain as possible was as far as you could push the envelope. I then performed the mod as outlined on this forum and was very pleased!! Yes there is a perceived increase in gain but perception is more important than reality in some cases. I was apprehensive to perform the mod myself but if you are handy with a solder gun and can get the parts go for it!!!! IT just freaking rocks!!

I just discovered this GP3 mod, and this forum. The mod sounds very interesting, and I'm tempted to try it. But I just though I'd mention that I've been using an Xotic RC booster in the effects loop of my GP3, and it is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. I love the dynamics and clarity of the GP3, but it has sounded a little thin and twangy, and a tad bit sterile, especially in the rhythm channel. The RC adds a fullness to the tone of the GP3 which I feel was lacking. You can use it with no additional gain, to warm up the tone, or you can use it to push the front end more. Most of the hype about this pedal is true. So try an RC booster before warming up the soldering iron!