Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Boostassio!

Default Finally got my Boostassio!

Will get back tomorrow with details after I try it out.

Thumbs up

Congratulations ....
    As much as I like the SAS .... I am looking forward to checking the Boostassio out. I would think the combination could give interesting results.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

sweEt ... nice box to !

Hmmm... it's not what I was looking for. It's really good for the clean channel but not much else. Guys who live on their clean channel will love it as it ADDS and pleasant eqing to the sound. More of a preamp and not a clean boost as advertised. For sale. $180 I will pay shipping in the US.

Interesting comments. Would be interested to know how you have it set up.

Fact is, it is flat clean boost up to quite a high output level, but as soon as you start overloading the input of your amp, the tone will definitely change. That's not the pedal changing the tone. It's the result of the amp input stage being boosted past the point of input stage distortion on the amp.

The pedal doesn't start changing tone and distortion character until you start using the bias control, which is inactive at full counter-clockwise.

I think people who are used to hearing what is often classified as "clean boost" compared to this may be suprised to discover what clean level boost really sounds like.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

I'm gonna try another boost out and see if its the GP3 that cant take the boost. Maybe this amp isnt for me. I want searing high gain, not modern santana.

This is a new product so I'm also quoting your PM as it may help others understand with the Boostassio is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by CARSANDGUITARS View Post
    I'm gonna try another boost out and see if its the GP3 that cant take the boost. Maybe this amp isnt for me. I want searing high gain, not modern santana.
    That's not what a boost does. Sounds like you're looking for an overdrive pedal.

I have the pedal set to 9 oclock gain and bias all the way down.I cant use the pedal at all to boost the lead channel. It muddies the tone at unity gain on up.
    That's what a boost pedal does, and the Boostassio will do that above unity. It overloads the first input stage, which can cause the input stage of a full sounding preamp like the GP3 to get muddy. On a Marshall head for example, which has a bright top end and a heavily rolled off low end on the input stage, it would get less muddy. Some boost pedals have a low frequency roll-off or bass knob to counteract this effect. That's not what we were trying to do. If you're looking for something to zizz out the metal vibes, this is definitely not for you. Boostassio is a mojo machine for gutsy, chunky rhythm playing and thick twisted soloing. Then again, it wails with the Deliverance, so who knows. Probably just a matter of perception.

If used with lower gain it wont get as crunchy as the amp by itself with gain up.
    That's because the GP3 doesn't need more gain. Again, you probably are looking for something like a more saturated overdrive pedal.

Very dissapointed. Its a preamp pedal not a clean boost. It colours the sound even at unity gain a little.
    Depending on how it is integrated with other pedals, perhaps you could hear a very slight coloration at unity, but this is really splitting hairs. It's a clean boost until you crank the Bias.

It humps the low mids some and makes them a lil flabby.
    Only if you push the input stage.

I have never experienced an amp not liking to be boosted some but my gp3 wont take it. At least not with this boost pedal. My buddy's marshall takes boosting like a champ.
    Probably not a good idea to compare a stand-alone amp to a preamp/power amp rig. Entirely different animals. The Boostassio behaves much differently on the clean channel of the Memphis compared to the D60 for example. Which boost does your buddy have?

What can i do to make this amp scream and soar on the high strings? It lacks enough balls. Seriously. Is this amp just at its end in terms of headroom?
    Good question. We've never had anyone say that about the GP3.
    Last edited by support; 12-02-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Dave Phelge
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

If the amp is set clean and the Boostassio VOLUME is set for unity gain ~ How much distortion / color can be added with the BIAS ? If the BIAS is maxed will it add a fair amount of distortion ?
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

In response to never hearing that the gp3 lacks enough balls, that can't be true. Read the online reviews. Steve himself designed a mod to satisfy many complaints of this exact nature. It distorts well but wont ticken up or compress on the high E. Too plucky, not enough drive. Not just this guitar, several I've tried. I wish it would crunch like a 5150. Not saying that amp sounds good, but it DOES have gain. Steve, make a metal amp. I know yall will step in and say "my amp does metal". Yeah it does metal rythms better than any other. But not so true for leads. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    If the amp is set clean and the Boostassio VOLUME is set for unity gain ~ How much distortion / color can be added with the BIAS ?
    Very little distortion unless you really push it by slamming the strings using the neck PU.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    If the BIAS is maxed will it add a fair amount of distortion ?
    You have the SAS. With the SAS gain and bias all the way down, the Boostassio is still cleaner and more transparent. Mainly it adds more of that small single power tube pushed 60s practice amp quality. And the output level decreases as the bias is increased, so you have to turn up the volume as you turn up the bias to get enough output to push the amp front end.
    Dave Phelge
    support@fryette.com