Thread: What microphone(s) do you use?

Default What microphone(s) do you use?

I'm going to do some recording with my Sig:X and D412 soon and am trying to determine what mic to purchase. The three I'm considering are the Shure SM57, the Audix I-5, and the Sennheiser E609. Does anyone have some experience using any of these mics with the Sig? If so, which ones and what are your thoughts about them?

FYI
    My band plays southern rock inspired metal, but we have songs ranging from clean parts with singing to heavy screaming thrash stuff to instrumental stoner rock type stuff. So I'm looking for a mic that captures good clean sounds AND tight bottom end for high gain. We tune in three different tunings: half step down, half step drop c#, and an odd tuning where the 2nd through 6th strings are 1/2 step down but the low string is dropped down to b flat.

For our next album I used a SM57 and Sennheiser 421. But in the mix I decided the 421 worked better for my guitar parts, whilst the 57 worked better for the other guitarists parts.
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    REVERBNATION :: BIG CARTEL :: YOUTUBE :: TWITTER :: FACEBOOK

If you like epic, progressive, atmospheric, soundscape metal - you could do worse than check us out!

Another mic to look at is a Heil PR20 or PR30. I have both and tend to use them more often on guitar cabs than my sm57's. They seem to be a bit more natural sounding where-as the sm57's are a little darker sounding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by drewfx View Post
    For our next album I used a SM57 and Sennheiser 421. But in the mix I decided the 421 worked better for my guitar parts, whilst the 57 worked better for the other guitarists parts.
    Really like the 421 .... 57 always seem to be around.
    The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

I use two I-5's in stereo. I use them with a GP-3 and a 2/90/2. Very transparent.

I've been using an I-5 on the Cab Grabber and it has been working out great!

I like the 421 as well. I've been pairing it with a Cascade "Gomez" ribbon.