Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sig:X Settings

Thumbs up

i totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by drewfx View Post

I mostly use my rhythm channel as more of a mid-gain crunch, atmospherics type tone. For reference, My favourite and most inspiring tones come from bands such as Deftones, Tool, ISIS, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, QOTSA, and post-rock and hard-rock in general. I'm not really one of those "throw a tubescreamer in front of a dual recto" kind of guys. I know it's supposed to clean up the low-end, but that's precisely what I want from a guitar tone!!

I've just recently prepped my pedalboard, and I've ordered a Digitech Whammy DT for some future experimentation. But one thing I tend to do is sometimes I kick in the FX loop for a boost when playing lead lines. Eventually I'll get round to throwing a boost pedal in the loop along with a reverb, for some slightly different tones.

I also don't really use distortion pedals. I have a Boss SD-2 which is quite nice, but I really only set it for a low-gain 'on the edge' tone, into the clean channel. But maybe I should just use the boost on the clean channel... another thing to try!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Quote Originally Posted by drewfx View Post
    I do love the versatility of the Sig X. It's probably the BEST amp I've played for sheer versatility, and at the same time, the tones are unique sounding and aren't jack of all trades tones at all.

One thing I do wish is that the less/more switches were switchable from the foot controller. If it were, you'd have literally tons more tones at your disposal.

I mostly use my rhythm channel as more of a mid-gain crunch, atmospherics type tone. For reference, My favourite and most inspiring tones come from bands such as Deftones, Tool, ISIS, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, QOTSA, and post-rock and hard-rock in general. I'm not really one of those "throw a tubescreamer in front of a dual recto" kind of guys. I know it's supposed to clean up the low-end, but that's precisely what I want from a guitar tone!!

I've just recently prepped my pedalboard, and I've ordered a Digitech Whammy DT for some future experimentation. But one thing I tend to do is sometimes I kick in the FX loop for a boost when playing lead lines. Eventually I'll get round to throwing a boost pedal in the loop along with a reverb, for some slightly different tones.

I also don't really use distortion pedals. I have a Boss SD-2 which is quite nice, but I really only set it for a low-gain 'on the edge' tone, into the clean channel. But maybe I should just use the boost on the clean channel... another thing to try!
    I agree, I was kind of afraid with all the options it'd be a jack of all trades type amp but took the risk anyways. It's seriously way more versatile than any clip or review gives it credit for.

The more/less thing would be nice, but I don't care too much. I'll just use the volume control.

Funny you bring that up, I get a little bit of that going on where the bass is a little too thick to be extremely tight [it's tight, just not tight enough]. Then I have it a tad loose without the wylde od, or tight and sharper with it on.

Wouldn't try a boost pedal in the loop... Also, the ZW OD isn't set to distort or anything, just adds a little grit, colors the mids a little, and tightens the low end.

Using the three channels and 4 pedals I have, I can cover modern tones all the way to the 50s.

EDIT: Ugh, yesterday, it seemed like none of my settings posts were showing up, now all three of them do. -.-

Anyways, I may try the Mesa C90 speaker since someone said it was similar to a P50E and it's available in 8ohms.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by LTD Deluxe H-1001 View Post
    EDIT: Ugh, yesterday, it seemed like none of my settings posts were showing up, now all three of them do. -.-
    You're not going crazy. I went and found your settings chart and fixed the post for you.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by LTD Deluxe H-1001 View Post
    Anyways, I may try the Mesa C90 speaker since someone said it was similar to a P50E and it's available in 8ohms.
    The C90 is parbably a little darker, tighter on the bottom (especially if installed in our cab)and no doubt cleaner (won't break up as easily). It's probably closer to a Classic 80 than the P50.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    The C90 is parbably a little darker, tighter on the bottom (especially if installed in our cab)and no doubt cleaner (won't break up as easily). It's probably closer to a Classic 80 than the P50.
    This didn't really help much. Well, it helped my GAS skyrocket, but that's about it... But it has me wondering why Mesa even bothers with those -mumbles- V30s...
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

i always loved V30's, until i got into the Fryette family
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

I'm currently using Celestion Vintage Century's - they're Neodymium mags, they sound sort of like a V30. I've never tried a Fryette cab, would mean a trip to Sheffield in the North of England, which I just cannot do.

I have a Zilla cab, and have thought about replacing the top-left and bottom-right speakers for something else, so I can have a cross pattern and a range of tones when recording. Maybe the C90's are worth a look?

I love V30's with my Sig. They give me punch, great mids, great cut through and clarity. Although I still would like to try a Fryette cab with the P50's.
    Sig:X
    Valvulator V1
    Modified Fender Strats
    Marshall 1960 AHW Cabinet

you all are welcome to come over and hang out, and try out my cabs
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

If I'm ever out yer way, I will!!.....and I'll bring some Don Julio, maybe we could get Mr. Fryette to join us and we could have a jam session!! Dave, you can come along too!!
    Sig:X
    Valvulator V1
    Modified Fender Strats
    Marshall 1960 AHW Cabinet