Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig:X Settings

Default Sig:X Settings

I moved this part of my Deliverance clip thread here because it seems to be morphing into a Sig:X "How To" thread. Obviously people want to learn more about the Siggies capabilities, and from what I see here, even experienced Sig users may not realize how deep this amp really is. I'll jump in every once in a while and throw out some setting suggestions. We're also working on some clips...

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall
    Would you give a run down of the amp settings like you did for the 50CL ... but for the Sig-X ?
    Switches and knobs, left to right. All knob settings referred to clock face.

Rhythm track:
    Rhythm Channel
    Live
    Gain I - 1:00
    Gain II - 1:00
    Boost On
    More Mode
    100W
    Master - 10:00
    Scoop
    Treb - 1:30
    Mid - 11:30
    Bass - 2:00
    Pres - 3:30
    Depth - 2:30

Lead track:
    Rhythm Channel
    Burn
    Gain I - 1:00
    Gain II - 1:30 ~ 2:00
    Boost On
    More Mode
    40W
    Master - 10:30
    Wood
    Treb - 1:30
    Mid - 11:30

I don't use the tone controls much. Just a bit for shading. Most of my voicing is shaped by the voicing switches, Gain I/Gain II ratio and Presence/Depth settings. Distortion/Overdrive blend is determined by the Master setting, thus, a little hotter Master against the 40W mode for the solo track gives a fatter overdrive and sustain while retaining the basic tonality. In this example I simply treat the Sig as if it were 2 amps - the D120 and D60 - for their respective tracks.
    Last edited by sfryette; 07-29-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Lightbulb

Thanks ....
    Interesting perspective on how you use the Sig-X. I see exactly what you mean. It is the same as I do .... the way you blend the preamp and poweramp sounds and tune the character with the switches. Fine tune with the tone controls. Using the master for tone and texture. Not just to control dB's. I very much like the midrange voice and saturation of the Sig-X set up with these settings. Especially the fat grit on the lead (D60 type) sound. A pretty different sound than what I usually use.

After checking out these sounds I am curious on your recommend settings for the lead and clean channels ? .... Not so much for this song, but in general.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    After checking out these sounds I am curious on your recommend settings for the lead and clean channels ?
    Lead Channel -Thick
    Brown
    Gain I - 2:00
    Gain II - 10:00
    Boost On
    More Mode
    40W
    Wood
    Treb - 2:00
    Mid - 2:00

Lead Channel - Aggressive
    Blow
    Gain I - 2:00
    Gain II - 10:00 ~ 2:00
    Boost On
    More Mode
    40W ~ 100W
    Scoop
    Treb - 2:00
    Mid - 2:00

Clean:
    Bloom
    Boost
    100W
    Open
    Volume - 10:00
    Treb - 12:30
    Mid - 9:30
    Bass - 1:00
    Pres - 10:00
    Depth - 9:00

Using the Hamer guitar used in the NAMM SAS video. It has a DiMarzio PAF style PU in the bridge.

Arrow

Thank you ...
    These are great sounds I did not know were in my amp... Jeff Beck pickup in the bridge of the Les Paul DC Standard I use most. Inspiring to have a different way to approach the amp. I like the clean sound without the boost just as much as on.
    Last edited by stephen sawall; 07-28-2011 at 12:07 PM.

There are all kinds of things this amp does that you would never even think to try. Here's a cool clean sound like a BF deluxe:

Rhythm Channel
    Vintage
    Gain I - 12:00
    Gain II - N/A
    Boost Off
    Less Mode
    40W
    Master - 12:00
    Scoop
    Treb - 2:30
    Mid - 9:00
    Bass - 9:00
    Depth - 5:00

Use with a 1X12 or 2X12 open back cab @ 8 ohms.

Now hit it with your SAS set to:
    V - 9:00
    G - 2:00
    Bias - 2:00
    Neck PU.
    Last edited by sfryette; 07-28-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Reduced Master, Treble and Bass setings for more accurate BFD sound.

Thumbs up

You are right about that ... never had the Sig X set up like that. That is by far the most blackface the amp has sounded. Blown away actually. With my 69 Stratocaster (EMG David Gilmour) I have had since 1978 the 60's/70's funk and R&B stuff never sounded so good.

Found myself playing a bunch of 60's and 70's stuff. Setting the SAS the way you recommended I was thinking a Fuzz Face never sounded this good. Violins and sputtering undulating oscillating swells. Messing around I was getting Hendrix and Muddy Waters :: Electric Mud inspired sounds. Really like what shifting the bias from this setting can do. Fuzz and/or cranked amp sounds of many flavors from the SAS can be found.

The way I normally use the clean channel is in the Hiwatt flavor. Getting both Hiwatt and Fender type sounds from the Sig X is amazing. Any recommendations for vintage Vox or Marshall flavors ? .... any other amps or other recommendations are appreciated. Always been a huge fan of the Zep live and studio sounds ... these question are for everyone. Seeing how other approach the gear is interesting to me.

To be honest your recommendations are like getting several new amps, but better because the sounds are all coming from one amp. The Sig X is the amp I use the most, just want to give you my personal thanks for creating such a useful tool. Just a great amp....
    Last edited by stephen sawall; 07-29-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen sawall View Post
    To be honest your recommendations are like getting several new amps, but better because the sounds are all coming from one amp. The Sig X is the amp I use the most, just want to give you my personal thanks for creating such a useful tool. Just a great amp....
    The Sig:X is amazing. Especially when I get to turn it up to 9:00 or higher. The pickups Steve used must've been really low gain because I use similar settings and my tone is brutal. Add the MXR ZW-44 set to full volume, half or so tone, and zero gain w/ the occasional use of the Black Label Chorus and Dime wah, it's absolutely perfect.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sfryette View Post
    There are all kinds of things this amp does that you would never even think to try.
    It'd be useful to do a 5 or 10 minute video where you show some different tricks the Sig:X can do. Just an idea.
    ESP/Ltd || VHT || EMG || MXR into Randall Lynch Box and Ampeg V412 cabs w/ Eminence Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sfryette View Post
    Clean:
    Bloom
    Boost
    100W
    Open
    Volume - 10:00
    Treb - 12:30
    Mid - 9:30
    Bass - 1:00
    Depth - 9:00
    Minus the boost, this setting is good with any of the 3 voicings. My speakers and pickups change the tone obviously, but the setting is still nice, especially when I turn on a chorus pedal and switch to the neck pickup, then switch to the bridge pickup for leads with the wah in addition to the chorus pedal, and I also use a Zakk Wylde OD set as a boost if need be.

Btw, just a few words about the clean channel. Actually, it's my only complaint about the clean channel: I don't like this channel's boost because it's hard to balance w/ the rhy/lead channel volumes. The boost is too loud to set the clean ch with the Rhy/Lead chs, and if you try to set it up vice versa, the clean channel is too quiet to get a good tone. So for the clean channel, especially since I have a Zakk Wylde OD, chorus, Dimebag wah and 18V EMGs, I just ignore the boost as far as the clean channel is concerned. What I think the boost SHOULD be is a more/less switch, kinda like but way better than the Crunch button on a 5150, etc. It doesn't work at all like the way it does on the distortion channels and isn't even useable if you plan to use all three channels with matching/close volume levels. As labeled, no offense, but I thought that particular switch on that particular channel was purely garbage. Once I played with the more/less on the rhy/lead channels, a lightbulb went off and a total "oh that totally makes sense!" moment ensued.

And just a add a little extra for everyone else about the Rhy/Lead channels: I like to set the volume on these channels with the least gain possible [boosts off, brown/vintage voicings, less mode, maybe even on the scoop setting if you plan to use wood cuz the wood setting at least seems a tad louder...]. Why? For one, the less mode is quieter than the more mode, and two, this helps "tune" the power amp when you leave the gain II off, gain I and mids where you plan to use them and the treble/bass knobs at 5. Once you get the vol and pres/depth adjusted, turn the more/less, eq, etc that you didn't tweak before where you want it and maybe make a few little tweaks here or there like to the vol, depth, pres or gain I controls.

Anyways, sorry for the /rant and stuff, just thought I'd give some feedback on the clean's boost and how I like to set up the distortion channels. I set up the clean channel somewhat similar.

I have to agree about the clean channel boost. I find it to be way too loud and have declared it useless. I wish there was a way to make it more of a subtle boost and then it could be used. The other two channels are fine but I'm not sure what they were hearing when they set this channel up, doesn't work at all for me either.