Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What multi-fx are you running with your Sig X??

Default G System

Hey Drew

I use a G System with my SigX and have done for over two years.
    I don't find it "counter intuitive" to use, in fact it's simple to edit on the fly at a gig.
    It does not "suck tone" at all if you set it up properly, contrary to many comments I've read on various forums ( those that rag on digital multi effects units as tone suckers and then put one or two digital stomp boxes like DL4's, Eventide, Boss Bassman and delay pedals etc on their pedal board amuse me no end).
    The G System DOES need to be set up correctly, the TC manual doesn't give you that info though. There is a white paper available by a guy "laird Williams" that you can download from the TC forums which gives a first rate description of exactly how to set up the G.
    I have my G sys set up in the 4 cable mode, I run a VHT Valvulator in front of it as my G sys is an older version with the crappy input circuit. (if you buy a newer one this has been rectified and you don't need to buffer the input).
    I use a cable snake from the G to my Sig and run everything balanced, it's a neat and simple set up. I use two of the snakes stereo cables to run the Sig's switching.
    The G however will not give you multiple Delays. It's not like the G Force in that way and you can't alter the order of effects blocks if that is what you need to do.
    The G switches all the Sig functions you need to switch including channel select and boost on/off, the boost can be programmed into a patch and also toggled on/off within a patch on the fly if you wish. You don't need an amp gizmo or similar.
    I use effects sparingly mostly, just delays mainly ( there are some beautiful mod delays in the G if you know how to programme). Over here in Oz I've done quite a bit of work over the last few years playing on those music/singing based TV reality shows ( you know the ones), that probably you guys all hate. Still, they are a tough call on the musos, with very little time to prepare for a wide variety of tunes ( mostly edited and key changed beyond recognition). I have needed to quickly pull up a wide palette of sounds for those shows and then be able to quickly organise and recall them. The Sig with the G sys has performed faultlessly every time in a high pressure situation and I've always been really happy with the sound of my guitar when I listen back.
    Hope I've been some help?
    Last edited by grumpypom; 07-09-2011 at 08:28 PM.

i can't help but watch "those shows"......
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Quote Originally Posted by grumpypom View Post
    Hey Drew

I use a G System with my SigX and have done for over two years.
    I don't find it "counter intuitive" to use, in fact it's simple to edit on the fly at a gig.
    It does not "suck tone" at all if you set it up properly, contrary to many comments I've read on various forums ( those that rag on digital multi effects units as tone suckers and then put one or two digital stomp boxes like DL4's, Eventide, Boss Bassman and delay pedals etc on their pedal board amuse me no end).
    The G System DOES need to be set up correctly, the TC manual doesn't give you that info though. There is a white paper available by a guy "laird Williams" that you can download from the TC forums which gives a first rate description of exactly how to set up the G.
    I have my G sys set up in the 4 cable mode, I run a VHT Valvulator in front of it as my G sys is an older version with the crappy input circuit. (if you buy a newer one this has been rectified and you don't need to buffer the input).
    I use a cable snake from the G to my Sig and run everything balanced, it's a neat and simple set up. I use two of the snakes stereo cables to run the Sig's switching.
    The G however will not give you multiple Delays. It's not like the G Force in that way and you can't alter the order of effects blocks if that is what you need to do.
    The G switches all the Sig functions you need to switch including channel select and boost on/off, the boost can be programmed into a patch and also toggled on/off within a patch on the fly if you wish. You don't need an amp gizmo or similar.
    I use effects sparingly mostly, just delays mainly ( there are some beautiful mod delays in the G if you know how to programme). Over here in Oz I've done quite a bit of work over the last few years playing on those music/singing based TV reality shows ( you know the ones), that probably you guys all hate. Still, they are a tough call on the musos, with very little time to prepare for a wide variety of tunes ( mostly edited and key changed beyond recognition). I have needed to quickly pull up a wide palette of sounds for those shows and then be able to quickly organise and recall them. The Sig with the G sys has performed faultlessly every time in a high pressure situation and I've always been really happy with the sound of my guitar when I listen back.
    Hope I've been some help?
    Hey matey! Thanks for the feedback.

My playing is quite effects heavy, and I don't think the G-System will quite cover my needs, but I'm glad it works for some!

I tried a Pod HD, and no matter how I set it up, it sucked the tone massively. Much more than a DL-4 or other digital pedal would. Anyhoo... as per my last post with the Tourman JPG, that's the board I'm gonna be building.

Quote Originally Posted by drewfx View Post
    Hey matey! Thanks for the feedback.

My playing is quite effects heavy, and I don't think the G-System will quite cover my needs, but I'm glad it works for some!

I tried a Pod HD, and no matter how I set it up, it sucked the tone massively. Much more than a DL-4 or other digital pedal would. Anyhoo... as per my last post with the Tourman JPG, that's the board I'm gonna be building.
    No worries!

I hope you let us know how it all turns out!

I just got my amp but I'm running a digitech gsp1101 and Control2 floorcontroller. 4-cable method right now seems to be working flawlessly. I was using this with my mesa mark III with great results also.

This is basically what I've ended up with:

I'm sure it will still require some tweaks.

Thumbs up

how is it all working out for you?
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Really good actually - it's very good not having to deal with the Fryette foot controller. I think they should do a new global controller for all amps, which can be programmed with a series of presets, like an ENGL controller.

I need to find a better way to stick my wah to the board, think I'll screw it down.

The sounds are great. I ended up with six banks of four presets, and switching around is easy enough. I might get a Digitech Whammy DT, and a multi-fx that can be switched by midi. Probably the Line 6 M5, and have it in the loop of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by drewfx View Post
    Really good actually - it's very good not having to deal with the Fryette foot controller.
    What are you using to switch the amp channels?

Quote Originally Posted by daveg62 View Post
    What are you using to switch the amp channels?
    upper left hand corner of the picture is this
    http://www.voodoolab.com/controlswitcher.htm
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I