Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What multi-fx are you running with your Sig X??

Default What multi-fx are you running with your Sig X??

Hey all,

LOVE the Sig X for tone. Love my pedalboard for sounds too. But I hate it for the limitations and for the setup. So thinking about a multi-fx.

What are people's thoughts on something like the TC Electronics G-System?

I recently tried a Pod HD 500 with my Sig X, and for some reason it just totally sucked the tone - all the low end disappeared, and the noise-floor increased. Not sure why it had that, but oh well... sent it back.

I want a floor unit, and I want to be able to toggle the amp channels from my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher. I also want to have banks and banks of presets, so I can have a preset-per-sound, and I'd also like to be able to have as many delays at once as I want, as well as a reverb... freely assignable FX slots basically. As I see it, the only viable options are:

TCE G-System
    Line 6 M13
    Boss GT-10

Thoughts? And please... spare me the "why would you want to use [X] with your amp, it's gonna suck!!" comments

If you're anything like me, first you're in awe of all the cool effects, then you start hearing the tonal limitations, then you get sick of all the tweaking and then you sell it...

Hey, I didn't say: why would you wanna use [X] with your amp !

Giga

I use a G-Major with an All Access foot controller and have it in the loop of the SigX, and I like it alot. I've tried the G-System twice in the past but found it to be a tone sucker, but since I didn't try it with the SigX I can't say if that would still happen.

I guess if you plugged straight into the amp and had the G-System just in the loop you would get a different result than their recommended setup with the guitar plugged into the G-System. I believe that when you plug into the G-System directly it forces your signal to go through 2 rounds of a/d d/a conversion- so a/d d/a a/d d/a even if you are "bypassing" all effects. Correct me if I'm wrong-

Quote Originally Posted by Giga View Post
    If you're anything like me, first you're in awe of all the cool effects, then you start hearing the tonal limitations, then you get sick of all the tweaking and then you sell it...

Hey, I didn't say: why would you wanna use [X] with your amp !

Giga
    Check this out....

I'm so fucked off with this setup. It just limits me, and it's getting to the point where it has stopped being a help, and is being more of a hindrance.

I've personally never been into using all the seperate stomp boxes route. I've always much preferred the simplicity and flexibility of using a G Major and 1 midi pedal to control everything. I've been using a G Major 2 multi fx unit with a FC1010 midi pedal and an amp gizmo so that I can control my Sig's functions and dial up whatever patch of fx I want (or just dry) all with just 1 push of a pedal.

I can have as many different Delay settings, or whatever effect I want, rather than just the 1 setting available when running a stomp box.

I haven't really noticed any tone loss when running my G Major 2 in the loop of my Sig.

HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50cl
    CABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12
    GUITARS: PRS

I've been thinkin about a multi also. Have you seen the Matt Blackett's demo of his Voodoo Labs and RJM switchers. You see his Sigx and a GT10. Sounds pretty credible.
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...x/jul-08/85915

I have seen that demo actually.

I'm thinking I'll get rid of the Voodoo Lab stuff I have and get a Musicom Labs EFX MKIII. This will give me 240 presets to play with. I'll then use a selection of single pedals that support midi, as well as a few others that I really like.

So I'm thinking:

Eventide SPACE
    Eventide Time Factor
    Eventide Mod Factor
    Line 6 M5
    TC Nova Drive

Will be able to switch all of these with midi program changes, and also switch the amp channels with my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher - which works great with the Siggy, but I just haven't ever been able to use it with my rig due to a lack of presets.

I hated the G System. Very counter-intuitive to use.

Honestly, I just use a single Dunlop Carbon Copy delay in a rack drawer, and use the loop assign function to slave it to my lead tone, and a rack wah. You'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of a setup like this - you have modulation and ambiance, with all of 2 pedals in front of you. You could run an Eventide pedal in a rack drawer, and just use the loop on/off to bring it in or out. Simple, and keeps the pedal safe away from beer swilling hooligans.

I've found that multiple effects really wash out live, and rarely really come across as anything but mud. Unless you're David Gilmour, and have a setup that rivals NASA with everything handwired and running into a custom PA, you're better off using effects sparingly.

That said, if I needed effects, I'd save for an Eventide rack unit.

G Major .... have not plugged it in over a year. Only multi-fx I still own. Everything else is analog.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
    I've found that multiple effects really wash out live, and rarely really come across as anything but mud. Unless you're David Gilmour, and have a setup that rivals NASA with everything handwired and running into a custom PA, you're better off using effects sparingly.
    Personally, I think if that's what you've found, you're doing it wrong

This is what I'm going for:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630473/Tourman%20Board.jpg

Just need a few other things, and it leaves me room for some expansion.