Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VHT 2902 + Soldano X88r = O.M.F.G.

Default VHT 2902 + Soldano X88r = O.M.F.G.

Hi just wanted to share with everyone how excited i am like a little kid with finally getting my vht2902 converted to aussie power and hooking it up with my soldano x88r into my soldano 4x12 cab.... holy crap .. it sounds like everything i hoped it would.. initially concerned about kt88s when i was advised by soldano to find a 6l6 power amp .. and then not sure whether the 2502 (el34s) would be soldano'ey enough for me but with a few phone calls to France to speak to Gilles about the Black Beauty he made an important comment .. the 2902 is more aggressive .. and well that summed up how i like to play.. so i found myself a second hand 2902 series II and jumped on it as they sell like hot cakes!!!

Ive been jammin and playing every riff i know to see how it turns out and well .. 10 years in the making (have had that soldano x88r for 10years) .. finally it sings true to its purple name!

So yeah this thread really doesnt have anything interesting cept me gushing

I have my ADA MP1 which im waiting to convert to aussie power (transformer in the mail).. which will go in the rack as well .. and ill finally sell my Mesa Boogie dual rectifier head.. as much as that thing can revive someone from the dead.. its simply no soldano which is ultimately "my sound".. the ADA MP1 can mimick some metallica boogie sounds for me when i have that urge and thats enough for me..

I was ready to buy a TC ELectronic G SYstem to basically controll the whole thing as far as amp channel switching .. effects and midi control .. but im thinking its still overkill for really what i love to play .. which is simply 80s metal.. so im looking into a replifex or intellifex for cheap and that can do the job for now..

i also was curious to see how good amplitube would sound (muted any cab simulations) and well i was impressed .. havent tried it in stereo mode into the stereo VHT but just as a single input i was very impressed .. so it can mimick any other type amp sounds if i had the urge to sound like that for short period without buying the actual amp cause at the end of the day ill always come back to the soldano/vht combo for the REAL thing (yet to experience the ADA properly).

SO if i ever played in a band again (oh how i miss playing covers.. was fun) .. and we did originals you can tell id be rocking on stage with my big hair (wig lol) and leather pants and my bc rich gunslinger or ibanez RG in fluro colors..

yes im stuck in the past cause i just dont see any good reason to come out from it

Keep ROCKING!!

Thumbs up

Indeed ..good stuff , enjoy

Good to hear that the 2902 worked out for you.
    Now all you need to do is try it with a FB412 or D412!
    (yes there is always more)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Indeed ..good stuff , enjoy
    THanks mate!!! D

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Mark
    your the i tells ya!!!! .. hehe dont put ideas into my head .. im trying to downsize and be rid of all the gear.. but yes its a curse we all live .. there WILL always be more hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Mark
    ok fine .. if i get rid of my marshall quad .. ill start looking for a fryette cab lol .. well maybe i should buy a fryette cab first just to make sure im happy with it .. hahaha this is what i tell myself all the time and this is why i have soo much stuff cause i never actually sell anything .. hehe

to be honest asthetically .. the marshall doesnt suit anymore.. i have a marshall combo that i could hook up to the marshall quad .. yeah yeah i can do that then i dont have to sell it .. THEN i HAVE to get another cab .. ideas ideas .. lol .. maybe i should learn to play guitar properly first

actually here is my next question ..

ive "thought" about ditching my mesa dual rectifier head and sourcing a preamp version and just hooking it into the rack so then i thought well .. i could use the slave out on the head into the vht power amp to "seee" how it sounds .. and well i was disappointed .. it sounded empty and NOTHING like how the head sounds on its own.. i wonder is that because of the poweramp section of the boogie head? or the different tubes (boogie 6l6 .. vht kt88s?)..

i thoguht it would sound good still but it lost alot of .. everything really .. i got the idea it would sound good from this youtube link. the boogie preamp sounds awesome and exactly like my head does in this link.. *shrug* ..he's using a randal poweramp..

im wondering now perhaps my poweramp is not as versatile as i thought?

any reason why the sounds could be soo different?

Instead of using the slave, try using the fx loop out & see how it sounds.
    Sounds like a bowl of fuck

Or get a VHT GP3 like me - the perfect match for the 2902!
    The midi switching is great feature and there is a high gain mod (I didn't need it).
    I had a Marshall quad with V30's - not even close to my D412 with the GP3 and 2502, just way more clarity and tightness in the bottom end.

Sorry to put temptations in your head, but think how bored we would be if we were satisfied!
    (Which I have no right not to be).

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by cdtbeast View Post
    Instead of using the slave, try using the fx loop out & see how it sounds.
    Hey mate .. yeah i tried that, sounded alot better.. but still nothing like the head itself.. which ive learnt thats a given being the head is designed as a whole unit.. as opposed to separate component etc.. im happy with the way ive got it now .. the reason why i was looking at that was to try offload the head and stick to rack gear.

Ive since , i know everyone will cringe, worked out how to configure amplitube to run in stereo into my 2902 and i know u will all thro rotten veggies at me but it sounded fkn awesome and better than the boogie amp into the vht .. and "different" to the x88r ..

I know 2902 is way too loud for bedroom/home studio however i noticed with the x88r into the vht that either my ears are bleeding or it sounds very harsh into either soldano or marshal cab (soldano sounds heaps better tho) when i turn it up a tad .. SAYING that ... when i run amplitube into the vht in stereo i can crank it and it will GET loud and i mean LOUD and louder than what i can play with the x88r and it wont bleed my ears or sound harsh or whatever it is im hearing out of the x88r .. i make sure on the x88r i have the "output" in the middle so its not sounded crap .. but boy does it sound harsh at loud volumes .. so im wondering where the "issue might be there.. cause ok i know its a loud poweramp so surely you can crank it without hearing that harshness.. which i proved with amplitube but yet to try with my ada mp1 to see if perhaps my x88r mite need a service or something (even tho soldano said it was all good when i got it 10 years ago and havent used it since)

so trial and error at the moment..

i know "real gear" is the best but i swear amplitube has seriously opened up to me different amp sounds and effects and it sounds absolutely awesome ..

id never part with the real thing that i have now (x88r and ada mp1) however from a "cost" point of view its much cheap to use amplitube and still sound big cause its going thru the 2902 than it is to keep spending on real gear specially if its just for home stuff now that im not in a band ... i was ready to go buy the G System (tc electronics) but decided not to now that ive heard amplitube and how it performs through the vht2902 ..

gotta be realistic .. im a gear whore ill spend thousands and still not be happy with the tone and sound and my problem is i want the best and i want it loud