Thread: why the "newer" Deliverance donĀ“t have a Choke anymore ?

Default why the "newer" Deliverance donĀ“t have a Choke anymore ?

Hi,

The first Deliverances have a Choke on the Chassis, the "newer" Deliverances donĀ“t have a Choke anymore but a big 10Ohm Resistor inside

Now i wonder why ??
    Because a Resistor costs much less than a Chocke, or Steven whant the different Sound ??

OK, both Versions do the same Job, but sounds also different...
    The RC Method (the newer One with the big Resistor) sounds "dryer", and more Stable. The LC Method (the old Ones with the Choke) sounds a bit compressed when you pushed the Amp hard.

i know, its a stupid question (the Deli is a awesome Amp with and without the Choke) but im a "Fryetteishist" and have to know it

greets

Question

yeah i saw someone else post about the newer ones not having a choke, i own #42 or something like that, so im wondering if i need to buy a newer one also....yes i have a problem....lol
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

The newer version has a few differences from the older ones. The non-choke power supply, which actually gives the amp a more springy, organic feel, is only one of the things that makes it feel, sound and compress differently.

All of the dfferences are very subtle though when listening side by side.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

thx for the Answer

and i have to say it again:
    I love my D60 and this beautiful grrrrrroooooaaaaarrrr

greets from Germany
    Robi

So, support, you never truly answered why the change took place in removing the choke.. any real solid answer's available on this? or was it something that steve just kind of decided to do on a whim and wound up liking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich.Poccia View Post
    So, support, you never truly answered why the change took place in removing the choke.. any real solid answer's available on this? or was it something that steve just kind of decided to do on a whim and wound up liking it?
    Well, Dave seems to have answered the question with
    "gives the amp a more springy, organic feel"
    Using a resistor in place of a choke gives a little of a "tube rectifier" feel to an amp, the amount of sag can be varied by changing the value of the resistor.
    Lot's of amps I've seen use a resistor, Cornford MK50 for example.

Steve doesn't do anything on a whim. He usually has an idea and runs it up the flagpole to see if it gets any momentum. If so, we build a trial unit so we can all listen and weigh in. It's kind of an clearinghouse system like Motown used to do things - kind of helps the best ideas rise to the top.

Anyway, everything we make gets a second look from time to time. Like everything, this change is in keeping with the design philosophy of the amp without taking anything away that was already cool about it.
    Dave Phelge
    Chief Misconception Eradicator
    support@fryette.com

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". - Kurt Vonnegut

Thumbs up

Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    steve doesn't do anything on a whim.
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Quote Originally Posted by support View Post
    The newer version has a few differences from the older ones. The non-choke power supply, which actually gives the amp a more springy, organic feel, is only one of the things that makes it feel, sound and compress differently.

All of the dfferences are very subtle though when listening side by side.
    What are the other differences? From what serial number onwards is a 'new' type amp?

What wattage is the 100ohm resistor? I have a Trainwreck build with a 1k-25 watt resistor after the rectifier. That amp has a great clean to mean.

I suspect that substituting a resistor for the choke would make the D's rollback cleans a lot better.

Am I right about this?