Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your leadsound?

Default How do you get your leadsound?

From your Pitbull. I'm curious to see what people use, pickups, pedal, effects, amp settings etc.

what im using now is a '79 Gibson Les Paul Custom, with Tony Iommi p/u's...I use alot of front end effects, chours, phasers, flangers, and delay...mostly i use maxon pedals...then into the Ultralead....but i dont realy play "leads"
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireSG View Post
    what im using now is a '79 Gibson Les Paul Custom, with Tony Iommi p/u's...I use alot of front end effects, chours, phasers, flangers, and delay...mostly i use maxon pedals...then into the Ultralead....but i dont realy play "leads"
    Hehe okay, thanks for the reply. Do you have your favorite settings that you like or do you fiddle around with them? Would be cool to see what other people use, I was thinking of the CL then.

I have an ancient Yamaha rack multiFX in the loop, usually with some kind of early reflection reverb or slightly detuned and delayed pitch shifter setting. I only really use effects for lead, so I just leave it on and try to simultaneously hit the effect and boost switches on the Pittbull's foot controller. I run an MXR EQ in the front end, too, as an always-on clean boost. That's it. Simple!
    Guitars: ESP Horizon / Gibson Les Paul / G&L SC-2
    FX & Bits: Boss NS-2, MXR M-108 EQ, Koch Dummy Box, Klotz cable
    Amp: Pittbull 100 CL EQ, Framus 2x12

I use an Axe FX with my GP3 in the loop with the 4 cable method. Before my GP3, I put a filter block with an envelope to control the low cut, which I think when I pick normally ends up being about 450-500 hz or so, with a 13-14 db boost. After the GP3, I use very slight delay into a reverb block.

On the GP3, I have Bright, Boost and EQ engaged. On the EQ, I have a slight bump in the upper mids because I'm a mid and treble whore.

Quote Originally Posted by GD91945 View Post
    I have an ancient Yamaha rack multiFX in the loop, usually with some kind of early reflection reverb or slightly detuned and delayed pitch shifter setting. I only really use effects for lead, so I just leave it on and try to simultaneously hit the effect and boost switches on the Pittbull's foot controller. I run an MXR EQ in the front end, too, as an always-on clean boost. That's it. Simple!
    Cool, whats the name of the unit? I've heard Yamaha have some cool old stuff. Which frequencies do you boost with the MXR?

Quote Originally Posted by bleed View Post
    Cool, whats the name of the unit? I've heard Yamaha have some cool old stuff. Which frequencies do you boost with the MXR?
    It's a GEP-50. I gather it's essnetially an SPX-90 voiced for guitar, and it has some distortions on there, too, so you can use it as a pre-amp.

I usually use the MXR as a clean boost on the front end, so it's just the gain that's pushed up a couple of dbs. For lead sounds, it sounds good with 500Hz up about 6dbs, too; adds a nice vowel like quality, almost like a half-open wah.

Really, though, I'd like to use the MXR in the loop as I prefer its frequencies to those on the CL's EQ stage. I don't at the moment since I'm relying on the effects loop switching to turn the effects on and off. I'm looking at going down the MIDI route to solve all these switching problems... one of these days!

It's a GEP-50. I gather it's essnetially an SPX-90 voiced for guitar, and it has some distortions on there, too, so you can use it as a pre-amp.

I usually use the MXR as a clean boost on the front end, so it's just the gain that's pushed up a couple of dbs. For lead sounds, it sounds good with 500Hz up about 6dbs, too; adds a nice vowel like quality, almost like a half-open wah.

Really, though, I'd like to use the MXR in the loop as I prefer its frequencies to those on the CL's EQ stage. I don't at the moment since I'm relying on the effects loop switching to turn the effects on and off. I'm looking at going down the MIDI route to solve all these switching problems... one of these days!
    Haha yes, one of these days!

I see in your signature know what you have. ESP Horizon, what pickups do you have in that one?

By the way, is anyone using 7-string guitars here? What pickups do you use for them? I haven't really found a 7-string pickup that I'm completely satisfied with yet. Not for leads atleast, I'm thinking of a bridge pickup, I have a Dimarzio LiquiFire in the neck which I think is great for leads.

Quote Originally Posted by bleed View Post
    Haha yes, one of these days!

I see in your signature know what you have. ESP Horizon, what pickups do you have in that one?
    DiMarzio AirZone... great pickups!

DiMarzio AirZone... great pickups!
    Ah I always wanted to try those. Never got the time to do so. That will be my next purchase for sure. I always wanted to try them since I heard that Yngwie Malmsteen is using them in some of his V's.