Thread: Food for thought - tube selection

Default Food for thought - tube selection

Of course, users experience varies based on application, actual hours of use and operating condiditons (bedroom playing, local gigging, touring, etc), but we have been saying for a long time that the tubes that come out of the Reflektor factory - Sovtek, EH, Tung-Sol, Mullard, Gold Lion, etc are the most reliable and most consistent.

We do compare notes from time to time with the likes of Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, etc, but have often wondered what some of the online tubesellers think. Below is from one of the techs at TubeDepot.com:

"Dave,

I'm totally in agreement with you. The JJ stuff is the least reliable. Overall, the sound for most equipment is very good and usable, however the reliability is very poor. The very worst tube for returns is the JJ/Tesla KT77.

The tube with the least returns is the Sovtek 5881 and its variants. The Reflektor factory tubes (where the Sovtek, Tung-Sol, Mullard and EH tubes are made) are quite reliable and they sound good.

The SED tubes from the St. Petersburg factory are very powerful, sound great but they don't have quite the same reliability as the Reflector factory.

Tubedepot.com"

Just thought you'd like to know since better reliability is what you expect you are paying for when you shell out extra cash.

Dave
    Fryette Support

For my UL, I love the Sovteks paired with the Tung-Sol's. Thanks for posting that little bit of info.
    Chris
    A Black Rose Burial
    http://www.MySpace.com/ablackroseburial
    Empyres
    http://www.MySpace.com/empyres

Equipment:
    Fryette Pittbull Ultralead
    Fryette Fatbottom 4x12
    1974 Fender bass cab (2x15)
    1979 Peavey Black Widow bass cab(1x18 & 2x10)
    ESP EC-1000 Deluxe (18v mod)
    ESP Custom MH (18v mod)
    ESP 7-string baritone (18v mod)
    Gibson SG modified (18v mod)
    Ovation 2000 limited edition
    Bodenhamer Bloody Murder

Funny, that's almost opposite of my experiences: my KT77's work great and reliable, had a few ECC803's go bad

First batch of TS 12AX7's was terrible in reliability, they're a lot better now, my TS6550's are working great after about 3 years.

I've had several Sovtek (power)tubes down

The winged C 6550's in my D60 but they are still relatively new

Giga.

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave!!!
    Ultralead
    D120H
    Sig X
    Fat Bottom 4x12
    D412
    Valvulator I

The sovtek kt88 & tung sol pre tubes have been the best for me.
    Sounds like a bowl of fuck

Yeh ive had more (2 from 3) tung sol pre and sovtek pre and el84 fail than jjs ..maybe the el34s are a bit better..had no probs in the couple of years ive been using them,did have 1 ecc 83 fail though, didnt use my kt 77s for long..there was a large batch with slightly crooked bottles etc awhile back so could well be the faultly bunch... on the whole ive found them to be as good as any tube brand. Any reason why the other Fryette recommend tubes are chinese and not a reflector brand? is that purely based on sonics?