Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHT 2502 vs Marshall EL34 50/50?

Default VHT 2502 vs Marshall EL34 50/50?

Hello everybody.

Actually, I have a 2902 which is very good, but for some things I prefer EL34 tubes. For this I plug into the loop of my Randall RG50, but it is not quite nice because it has a 8 ohm output at max while my cab is all 16. And of course is just a 30 kilo combo, too bulky to travel with. First I decided to get an Engl 830, but it was really hard to find. Then my drean was to get an old Marshall 9005. But people say the EL84 50/50 is good upgrade from the 9005. However, I first took a look at the Carvin TS100 and got unpleasantly surprised by the price here. The official dealer ofered it for $1500 or something. Besides, I may well not need to use 6L6s in it. So finally I decided to choose between two: VHT 2502 and Marshall EL34 50/50.

Are there anyone who compare the two? (I mean only sound, not features).

Thanks.

the vht poweramps are probably the best you can buy for money...so don't compare to those newer marshall poweramps

Ok, what to expect on the vht forum. it's ok, about newer Marshall amps, and what about the Marshall 9005? Are they comparable in their tones?

7th plane of interstellar hell, london, UK

If anything, if you are looking for superb el34 tone, I'd recommend tracking down a rivera tb-3. 60w per side el34 goodness, and trust me, those 60w are LOUD. I've currently got a rivera tbr-5 (the 6550 version) and that can be biased to run el34's as well I believe (or it's a simple mod) and they run at 16w per side ((6550's) or 100-120w with el34's)

And they are built to last. May be hard to find, but well worth it in my book! I couldn't be happier with mine.

VHT's ones, well, everyone here will say they are excellent, but I have actually never felt the need to go past the rivera TBR's. I compared it to a mesa 2:90, and if clarity and faithfull reproduction is your game, then rivera's what I'd point towards. Shame they don't make them anymore though!

Anyway, i reckon el34 loaded rivera will get you the marshall vibe, but with balls and sound superior.

Thanks for your reply! My search is to take one more turn around. One day as I was looking for a mesa rack amp, I was offered a Rivera TBR-5, but the price was too expensive for me and - most of all - I found the weight very heavy, 30 kilo or so. So I decided to find, like you mentioned, a TBR-3 (or may be 1). None of them were on sale and I then won my 2902, an excellent amp. However, for an EL34 tone I continued my search and twice I missed old Engls 920/50. So all that I find more or less avaiable now is Marshalls and VHTs. The Engl 840/50 is way too expensive and fairly hard to find as second hand and it's based on 6L6. The Engl 830 is also expensive. I always keep an eye on Riveras too.

7th plane of interstellar hell, london, UK

Quote Originally Posted by separanets View Post
    Thanks for your reply! My search is to take one more turn around. One day as I was looking for a mesa rack amp, I was offered a Rivera TBR-5, but the price was too expensive for me and - most of all - I found the weight very heavy, 30 kilo or so. So I decided to find, like you mentioned, a TBR-3 (or may be 1). None of them were on sale and I then won my 2902, an excellent amp. However, for an EL34 tone I continued my search and twice I missed old Engls 920/50. So all that I find more or less avaiable now is Marshalls and VHTs. The Engl 840/50 is way too expensive and fairly hard to find as second hand and it's based on 6L6. The Engl 830 is also expensive. I always keep an eye on Riveras too.
    If you are interested, check ebay, rivera TBR3's pop up from time to time. The TBR-5 is quite rare I think, and yes, it is stupidly heavy, but sounds amazing!

There's actually a TBR3 on ebay at the moment, round the same price of the marshalls are second hand, do your search to include switzerland

Thank you. I deal with an agency for buying things on eBay, predominately Yahoo (Japan) and eBay (Germany). That's the easiest way for me to buy things. But other countries are rather compicated to hit (as yet).

I've just been searching through the forum. I found new versions of VHT 2502 can't be loaded with 6L6 tubes. Is that right? And if so, how to recognize which model is old and which is new, by what signs?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by separanets View Post
    I've just been searching through the forum. I found new versions of VHT 2502 can't be loaded with 6L6 tubes. Is that right? And if so, how to recognize which model is old and which is new, by what signs?

Thanks.
    That's correct, the newer ones miss the 6L6/EL34 switch AFAIK. I'm not sure from what serialnumber and on this is the case though. I'm sure VHT can tell you this.

FWIW: I've put KT77's in my 2/50/2 and I love them. For me it's a (very) happe medium between the (KT8 2/90/2 and the (EL34) 2/50/2; it keeps the livelyness of the EL34's but with the oomph of the KT88's. But: others say a KT77 sits between EL34 and 6L6 tonewise. Who knows.....

Giga.

hi
    whats about the 2500! it s loaded with premium el34(if im not msitaken!)