Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question going on going clean to overdriven on D60

Default Question going on going clean to overdriven on D60

Hi -

I was wondering what is the best way to go from clean to overdrive in a rhythm context and back to clean.

I want to retain the same volume essentially and I want to use the amps overdrive. (not a distortion pedal)

Rolling off the volume wont really achieve a balance between the two sections....i.e. clean to dirty and back to clean...

Update:

I was told a Fulltone OCD is what I need as it will supply clean boost.

So I assume I'll roll the volume off the guitar for the clean and use the OCD to boost the clean to a level close to or
    equal to the driven tone level.

Then when I want saturation I kick off the OCD and roll my volume up.

I want D60 saturation, not a pedal kicking the front end...A good example of what I"m trying to do is Mihalis by David Gilmour...and on the 3rd time thru he cranks it up a notch...and lastly he cleans up again.

I guess it takes several guitar players to do it right and/or dynamics to achieve the balance...

Last edited by kt88; 04-06-2007 at 07:35 PM.

What about your guitar? On my PRS guitars, I roll off the volume, just a little, and switch to a single coil option! Not too bad of cleans, actually really nice! On PRS's 5 way rotary switch, it's one click! On my other, I either switch to the middle position, and/or pull the tone knob for a single coil tap! Easy!
    Charcoal Burst PRS Custom 24 Blade.
    Black "20th" PRS Custom 24.
    Royal Blue "25th" PRS SE Custom 24
    Mesa Roadster

Yes, that works ok for me too...just exploring other ways and trying to decide if a boost is "even" necessary.

I have two vintage alnico V single coil pickups that work great for clean and then roll up for dirty. (I've got a Seymour Duncan humbucker too)

Just wondering what you guys thought...

Thanks for your reply

Ya, a clean boost is definitely an option to take it over the top. I like the clips of our own Tristan utilizing the Xotic BB Preamp! BBE'S Boosta Grande pedal got an editor's pick in GP! Fulltone's Fat Boost would be a consideration! There are many options, but honestly, as good of an overdrive I think the OCD may be, I would'nt consider it for a "clean boost"!
    Last edited by jbird; 04-11-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Charcoal Burst PRS Custom 24 Blade.
    Black "20th" PRS Custom 24.
    Royal Blue "25th" PRS SE Custom 24
    Mesa Roadster

Default Fat Boost

I was thinking of the Fat Boost too...

Do you think using the Fat Boost would allow for pristine clean tones with just a boost in volume?

I assume I'd have to kick it off, dig in and roll up the volume to get straight Deliverance gain!

I'm afraid you're fooling yourself KT; the amp doesn't know if the PU-output comes from the PU itself or a clean boost. Higher amp-input level will result in more distortion no matter what

Giga.

Been doing it for years....thanks for the confirmation...!

Its all in the fingers I guess

Check this classic out - who needs overdrive any way

Lookin out for # 1

The Deliverance then IS plug -n- play period
    Last edited by kt88; 04-11-2007 at 02:51 PM.

CLean boost= RC Booster.

Default Rcb

I've thought of that as well..., but...

According to Giga, and it makes sense, "Higher amp-input level will result in more distortion no matter what"...

I guess I'll just have to wait til I get my cab to play with it...

I know I can use my single coils rolled off and then roll up and select my humbucker to get some overdrive.

I can also pick lighter on the single coils to get the cleaner tones and dig in on the humbucker for crunch.

Thats likely how it was done by mutlitudes before the channel switching era.

Coincidently I have the RC booster as well and even with low guitarvolumes (älmost" clean), when I add the RC, I will get a little crunch. I have to add that I don't use SC's though.
    Gainsettings: more setting, gain I 10-11 o'clock, gain II 1-2 o'clock or whatever fits the mood.

I think you're right in that was how the "oldies" did it but when did you hear a player that used real clean and heavy overdrive in the same song ? I think you had the typical Fender clean through a light crunch or the Marshall moderately clean through heavy overdrive mostly...

Giga.
    Last edited by Giga; 04-12-2007 at 11:44 AM.