PDA

View Full Version : Retubing UL

psychometal
01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I will be retubing the power tubes on my 2001 UL. It has the option for 6L6 tubes. Anyone use 6L6 currently or in the past? Should I stick with KT88s and which ones - EH, Sovtek, Svets? I've never biased an amp - suggestions?

Thanks

buddadrive
01-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Switching to 6L6 is really not a good idea. Do a search for 6L6 and you will see more details.

I would go with EH, I think it sounds better than the Sovtek. JJ and SED make good ones, but the amp is tuned in the design to the Sovtek's and those or the EH will sound best in that amp. I think this is Stevie's recommendation too.

CalyxRai
01-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Yea Steve posted this on HC a while back. Basically the gist of it was when switching over to 6L6's somehow it didn't bias up perfectly. It was a lil cold I think. It was a toss off btwn having the KT88's being perfectly biased OR the 6L6 so he ended up doing away w the 6L6 select switch. Something along those lines, but it's on Harmony Central somewhere if you do a search. Steve's user name is S Fryette on there I believe. Sorry I couldn;t be more specific on the details. Coincidentally I have a 2001 as well Rawk -

Rai //
www.FarewellRadiance.com