PDA

View Full Version : Hello to you all from Django:

Django
08-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey Y'all,

I am new to this forum as of this minute.... Just registered in fact.

I'm really here to learn what I can about a specific VHT amp...The Super 30.

I was only recently made aware of this amp... (a bit late eh?) and I'd sure like to know, from a practical perspective, what this amp is capable of.

I'm looking to buy one of the original generation of 200 that were made.

My hope is that I can hear some sample clips of a super 30 screaming it's brains out. In fact, harmonic distortion and sustain are two of my principal criteria for possibly buying this amp.

I've been living in the Fender/A-B amp world so long that you may have to help me out a bit in the jargon. So thanks ahead of time...

I'm an older guy (approaching 60) who played pro from 1959-1984. I have lots of different guitars, so I guess if any of them don't particularly like the VHT S30, I should eventually find that out anyway.....

I am aware of the fact that VHT is going to produce some super 30's in 2007, but I have a feeling they're gonna be more money than I wish to spend. Hence the desire for a used one....

Hope I can learn alot from you all......

Peace....and God bless.

Ooops....and sorry for posting in the wrong area....

Django (Jang'-go)

Koreldyre
08-18-2006, 01:44 AM
well met Django

I'd be pretty interested to hear some wailing Super 30 clips as well

Django
08-18-2006, 01:54 AM
well met Django

I'd be pretty interested to hear some wailing Super 30 clips as well

Cheers my friend,

LOL......... Makes me wonder if yer being sarcastic or not....

I've actually never heard a super 30.....

Do they have good overdrive/gain......?

Koreldyre
08-18-2006, 05:36 PM
lol not sarcastic at all

I don't know what a Super 30 sounds/sounded like

I am always interested in hearing good examples of raw but big tone, being a fan of many different amps, new and old

Django
08-18-2006, 06:29 PM
lol not sarcastic at all

I don't know what a Super 30 sounds/sounded like

I am always interested in hearing good examples of raw but big tone, being a fan of many different amps, new and old

Thanks and yes, I am really interested in this amp... It was represented as a super amp because it's the only pure Class A 30 watt amp out there... or so I was told.....

I only hope that I can get a smokin' full tube scream and growl out of it at normal stage volume without some butthead telling me to turn it down......

Anyone with super 30 clips please post up or direct me to examples somewhere else.

BTW..... Marcus, the customer service man at VHT in Burbank....this guy rules.... Incredibly dedicated to helping us out and a lotta fun to speak with...This brother is a real human being... Thanks Marcus.....You rule bro....

Thanks to all

(D)jango

Koreldyre
08-19-2006, 01:26 AM
Marcus is a nice guy, funny too

but Steve just cracks me up

Giles
08-19-2006, 02:38 AM
Welcome Dajngo....
If you can try a Forty-Five 1x12" combo, the Super 30 is basically the Class A part of this amp (which is classA/class AB switchbable).

I agree the design and transformers were slightly different, but having tested them side by side, I could not hear any difference.

The clean tone reminds me a Hiwatt Custom 50 or a Vox AC30, but mixed with the VHT personality.
The crunch tone, well, it's pure VHT...Not so much gain and the EL84 make it sound smooth, so the result is a perfect amp for jazz/blues/brit rock IMHO.

I've sold maybe 20 pcs and I strongly miss this lil' monster since there is no other VHT combo in the line (the Deliverance combo is arriving only in Sept/Oct)....

Django
08-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Welcome Dajngo....
If you can try a Forty-Five 1x12" combo, the Super 30 is basically the Class A part of this amp (which is classA/class AB switchbable).

I agree the design and transformers were slightly different, but having tested them side by side, I could not hear any difference.

The clean tone reminds me a Hiwatt Custom 50 or a Vox AC30, but mixed with the VHT personality.
The crunch tone, well, it's pure VHT...Not so much gain and the EL84 make it sound smooth, so the result is a perfect amp for jazz/blues/brit rock IMHO.

I've sold maybe 20 pcs and I strongly miss this lil' monster since there is no other VHT combo in the line (the Deliverance combo is arriving only in Sept/Oct)....

Hey Giles,

Thanks for the information.

Specifically, can I get quality sustain out of this amplifier? That is to say, a strong note that will carry and harmonically shift ala Carlos Santana.

Thanks again.

Giles
08-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Yep, if you play loud enough, set enough gain and place yourself to get a feedback, just like with all the other amps !
No quality problem with this lil' monster....