PDA

View Full Version : Boss GT-8

Bob Savage
05-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Anybody have one, used one, or smelled one?

A friend says this thing is "da bomb" and can be used in a "four cord" configuration that allows some fx in front of the amp and some in the loop. I'd probably just use it in the loop, but I'm wondering how the fx quality is?

SteveVHT
05-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I had one for a short while.
It's great for effects but to me it's a tad bit noisy for my liking...
And it smelled a little funny like they stuck an old chinese man inside and he farted...
Steve

Edit....
Sorry I left out this little tidbit.....
I'm not into all in one floor boards, and my ears were probably comparing it to my eventide or G force...:D

Bob Savage
05-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I had one for a short while.
It's great for effects but to me it's a tad bit noisy for my liking...
And it smelled a little funny like they stuck an old chinese man inside and he farted...
Steve

Edit....
Sorry I left out this little tidbit.....
I'm not into all in one floor boards, and my ears were probably comparing it to my eventide or G force...:D

So you're saying on the downside, it's noisy, and on the upside it smells like an old Chinese man's fart?

How does the G-Major compare?

SteveVHT
05-14-2006, 12:41 PM
So you're saying on the downside, it's noisy, and on the upside it smells like an old Chinese man's fart?

How does the G-Major compare?

I love the G Major. The Boss has more stuff, but the G is a much cleaner processor. Two different animals, but I also use minimal effects unless I'm making noises.....Oooooops...That's all I do is make noise with my guitar...:D
Steve

Bob Savage
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I love the G Major. The Boss has more stuff, but the G is a much cleaner processor. Two different animals, but I also use minimal effects unless I'm making noises.....Oooooops...That's all I do is make noise with my guitar...:D
Steve

I'll probably only use delay and a tiny bit of verb, so the G-Major would probably be fine. Hmmm...

kleinm
05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I'll probably only use delay and a tiny bit of verb, so the G-Major would probably be fine. Hmmm...

I'd second the G-Major over the Boss GT-8. The TC's sound is much cleaner, more true, in my opinion. I thought the reverbs on the G-Major were particularly cool.

And for what its worth, the G-Major smells somewhere between a petting zoo and a drive-thru smoke shop. With a hint of cumin.

Bob Savage
05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I'd second the G-Major over the Boss GT-8. The TC's sound is much cleaner, more true, in my opinion. I thought the reverbs on the G-Major were particularly cool.

And for what its worth, the G-Major smells somewhere between a petting zoo and a drive-thru smoke shop. With a hint of cumin.

How are you guys using the G-M in the loop? Parallel?

kleinm
05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
How are you guys using the G-M in the loop? Parallel?

Try running it in serial through the loop.

With the G-Major, you can specifiy your mix (wet/dry) on each specific setting. For example, you could have one preset with a 50% wet/50% dry delay setting, and another with a 10% wet/90% dry delay setting. Plus, you can set the G-Major to bypass, which is a true bypass system. With the VHT's buffered bypass, you shouldn't get any tonal coloration with the G-Major in your loop serially.

If you ran it parallel through your loop, you'd have a more limited mix ratio. You'd be limited by whatever your mix setting on your amp is.

I think running it serial through your loop will give you the greatest flexibility between the VHT's sound and G-Major's effects.

As a brief aside, I've never used the G-Major with an Ultra-Lead, but with other amps you can also program the G-Major to automatically channel switch on your amp for you (up to four channels). You could contact either TC Electronic or VHT to see how compatible they'd be. It works by two simultaneous relays, allowing: open+open, open+closed, closed+open, closed+closed.

qazwsx
05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
I just picked up a g major to put through the loop of my classic. I am also not big in to effects, I just thought I'd add a little reverb and delay. The G is excellent for that purpose. I've used Boss floor board processors and heard them live by other perfomers, and the tc with a good high gain amp sounds much better to my ears. Good luck

Steve

Bob Savage
05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
kleinm, thanks for the info. Does the dry portion of the signal that's selected in the mix go through converters, or does this portion stay analog and sums with the digital output?

I just picked up a g major to put through the loop of my classic. I am also not big in to effects, I just thought I'd add a little reverb and delay. The G is excellent for that purpose. I've used Boss floor board processors and heard them live by other perfomers, and the tc with a good high gain amp sounds much better to my ears. Good luck

Steve

Are you running your G-Major series in the Classic's loop?

kleinm
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
kleinm, thanks for the info. Does the dry portion of the signal that's selected in the mix go through converters, or does this portion stay analog and sums with the digital output?

Hmm, good question.

...so I did some reading on the manual, and given their signal schematic on page 9 it looks like the entire signal is passed through the A/D D/A converters.

I see where this is going. In that case, maybe the loop's parallel mix would be your best bet. Can you use a footswitch to turn the loop on and off on the Ultra-Lead?

Bob Savage
05-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Hmm, good question.

...so I did some reading on the manual, and given their signal schematic on page 9 it looks like the entire signal is passed through the A/D D/A converters.

I see where this is going. In that case, maybe the loop's parallel mix would be your best bet. Can you use a footswitch to turn the loop on and off on the Ultra-Lead?

Yeah, I really don't want to put my entire signal through the converters. I'm going to be using a pretty simple setup, mostly just some delay and verb, so the parallel loop should work well.

kleinm
05-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I really don't want to put my entire signal through the converters. I'm going to be using a pretty simple setup, mostly just some delay and verb, so the parallel loop should work well.

Understandably so. I'd still recommend the G-Major over the GT-8, based on sound quality alone.

Bob Savage
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Understandably so. I'd still recommend the G-Major over the GT-8, based on sound quality alone.

Thanks again for the info. I had a G-Force some years ago, and it was quite nice. I heard a vicious rumor that the converters on the Major were sub-par, compared to the G-Force. Have you heard anything about that?

kleinm
05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks again for the info. I had a G-Force some years ago, and it was quite nice. I heard a vicious rumor that the converters on the Major were sub-par, compared to the G-Force. Have you heard anything about that?

No problem mang.

I've never heard that rumor, but that doesn't mean its not true. Personally, I was pretty impressed with the G-Major's sound quality, regardless of its price tag. I'm normally not a fan of rackmount effects units, but it does have a cool sound...especially the delay and reverbs. The modulations were alright, but my preference is toward the warm, chewy analog type so I'm biased.

Personally, I would hope that the G-Force had something different going on inside to warrant the extra $1,100 on its price tag. Menus, interfaces, and options alone don't warrant that kind of price difference IMHO. Whether that extra duck is worth it is totally personal preference. It sounds like you're not going to be relying on it heavily, so I'd say go with the G-Major and spend the extra cash on a MIDI-controller, burritos, and '80s sitcom dvds.

qazwsx
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Are you running your G-Major series in the Classic's loop?[/QUOTE]

Ya it's in series. The classic only has a series loop. Anyway the G still very new to me so it'll be fun when I learn how to use it.

Bob Savage
05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up going with the G-Major. I'm picking it up today or tomorrow. I also bought one of those Behringer MIDI pedals with the two CC pedals.

smj
05-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I use the G-Force with the UL. I've found the cleanest and most transparent way to run it is in series.

That said, the "kill dry" function in the G Force is set to off. The effects mix dial on the UL is cranked. There's almost no audible coloration when toggling the effects on and off with the f/s.

I like to use the tuner in the G-Force. When run in series, I can set the unit to mute the signal when I'm tuning. You can't do that in parallel as the signals are being summed at the amp... so you'd always hear the dry signal.

For guitar stuff, the unit is clean... I've noticed a hair of coloration when running mixes through the unit... but very little. The G-Force's converters are 24 bit... but only 44.1khz.

To really maximize transparency, use high quality cables. I did a test between cables at one point and was astonished at how different they can sound.

Sean Meredith-Jones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

Bob Savage
05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info, Sean. I exchanged e-mails with Steve Fryette, and he indicated that with the TC gear, series is the way to go, and the way he uses them due to their transparency and overall quality.

So, serial it is!

richedie
03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I am kind of in a quandry, not sure whether or not to just run a few pedals with the VHT or something like an Intellifex or G-Major. I hear too many horror stories of the G-Major robbing tone and frezzing compared to the Intellifex.

How can you have the G-major control your amp?????Would yo uhave to use a midi converted on the VHT?

goodybear
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Just a tip for GT-8 users. I've been using GT-8 with my 50CL for 5 years now, I realize after some bad experience on stage, I finally found a way get it to sound right every time. First of all, yes it does take hours of tweaking and learning how the GT-8 works, and yes it does takes a bit of your VHT tone (for all I know all Boss products are not true bypass), for this you will have to adjust the global eq to get it right, you will not get it 100% accurate but close, and a hell of a lot closer than a G-major (which I sold after working with it for months), in my opinion of course. Second, this will be the most important part of your set up, DO NOT connect your amp switch (channel switch) first, connect this cable when you know for sure your effects loops are working. So, what you wanna do, is connect your 4CM, plug your guitar into the GT-8, make sure fx loops are working, then connect your amp switch cable, test it again, make sure it changes the channel on your amp, and your ready to rock.

I bought my channel switch cable from RJM, it basically switches my two channels using the GT-8, I also use the GT-8 to switch my pedals (all of this is in front of the amp) using the midi connections on my Axess Electronics pedal switcher, this makes less of that tap dancing on stage. The only downfall to all of this, is that I carry a shit lot of cables for gig, but it's worth it. The GT-8 works wonder with a two channel amp like my 50CL, I'm sure it will work with other amp, but I can't confirm that.

I just thought I'd share this info, hope it's useful for all GT-8 users. Thanks