PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between 2/50/2 and 2/90/2.

metalprep6969
01-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, I just became an proud owner of the VHT GP3 and love it to death, but now I'm in the market for a VHT preamp and I'm pretty set on either the 2/90/2 or 2/50/2. What are your opinions on each of them? I'm leaning towards the 2/50/2 because of the lower wattage so I can drive the tubes more easily and especially because of the class A/AB switch, but the 2/90/2 intrigues me because of the KT88s (which to me sound like sort of beefed up 6l6s with a bit more of a glassiness maybe?). I play mainly metal, but I want a decently versatile rig, so what are you guys' opinions?

BTW, I've played the 2/90/2 at Indoor Storm, but I don't have a way to play a 2/50/2.

\m/

tubebury
01-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Hey guys, I just became an proud owner of the VHT GP3 and love it to death, but now I'm in the market for a VHT preamp and I'm pretty set on either the 2/90/2 or 2/50/2. What are your opinions on each of them? I'm leaning towards the 2/50/2 because of the lower wattage so I can drive the tubes more easily and especially because of the class A/AB switch, but the 2/90/2 intrigues me because of the KT88s (which to me sound like sort of beefed up 6l6s with a bit more of a glassiness maybe?). I play mainly metal, but I want a decently versatile rig, so what are you guys' opinions?

BTW, I've played the 2/90/2 at Indoor Storm, but I don't have a way to play a 2/50/2.

\m/Depends on how much volume you'll need and if you'll like the EL34's over the KT88s. I think you can swap the EL34s out for 6L6GCs in the 2/50/2, there's an internal bias trimmer. You can even run EL34s on one side and 6L6s on the other! I had one when I went through my rackmount pre/power amp phase and it was loud! I never did get a good link/connection between all of the pre and power amps I mated... I much prefer heads and combos now.

I would opt for more headroom and get the 2/90/2...... The KT88s don't really sound like a 6L6GC, they are much larger, cleaner and more powerful sounding. Some folks describe them as sterile, I wouldn't, but they don't have anything like the color of EL34 or 6L6s.

Brian

SteveVHT
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I've gone through the ropes with their power amps over the years, and always go to the 2/90/2.
I currently have 3 of them and love them to death.
The 2/90/2 is super tight and articulate, and you can not beat the thick non flubby bottom end. It stays tight nomatter how hard you push it. You can't beat the headroom.
The 2/50/2 is a great amp as well, but I personally don't like to hear power tube compression or breakup. It will give you more of a british sound. It will definately be a little warmer and fuzzier, but that is personal taste.
Either way, you will get an amazing power amp.
With my GP3's I use the 2/90/2 which makes a stereo Ultralead.
The GP3- 2/50/2 combo will give you a stereo CLX.

Oh, and the 2/90/2 is far from sterile.....
Steve

tubebury
01-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I've gone through the ropes with their power amps over the years, and always go to the 2/90/2.
I currently have 3 of them and love them to death.
The 2/90/2 is super tight and articulate, and you can not beat the thick non flubby bottom end. It stays tight nomatter how hard you push it. You can't beat the headroom.
The 2/50/2 is a great amp as well, but I personally don't like to hear power tube compression or breakup. It will give you more of a british sound. It will definately be a little warmer and fuzzier, but that is personal taste.
Either way, you will get an amazing power amp.
With my GP3's I use the 2/90/2 which makes a stereo Ultralead.
The GP3- 2/50/2 combo will give you a stereo CLX.

Oh, and the 2/90/2 is far from sterile.....

SteveOK, Steve! Just one look at your rig and we all know you've got yer shit together with your rig! :shock:

That's meant as a jealous compliment!! LOL! Do you have any band sound clips? I'm curious as to the type of music you might play!!

Brian