PDA

View Full Version : stomp boxes in the effects loop?

guitarz333
04-08-2006, 01:36 PM
i have a basic ibanez delay pedal and of course it sounds like ass in front of the amp, so i tried running it thru the effects loop. when i had it in parallel either A: i couldnt get the volume difference between on and off to even out or B: the effect wasnt loud enough. so i tried running it in series. it sounded good and the volume was balanced, but now it sounds like the effect if distorted! any ideas? am i doing anything wrong? ive seen people run stompboxes like this before..

Koreldyre
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I take it you've made use of both the loop level on the amp and the effects level on the stompbox?

As for the distortion it means your signal is too hot either coming into the pedal or returning to the amp.

guitarz333
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
yeah ive been adjusting the volume and effect level but i cant get it to balance out without it being set where it is currently. do you think the problem is that im using a pedal as opposed to a rack type effect?

Andrew
04-10-2006, 09:16 AM
My 50/CL has a button on the back of the amp labelled "EFFECTS LEVEL" which sets overall send and return level (LOW = -10dB, HI = 0dB).. this is to compensate between the different line levels of pro gear (usuall rack stuff) and consumer grade stuff (pedals, cheap multi-fx boxes) .. your amp might have the same switch?

drjenkins
04-10-2006, 09:27 AM
My 50/CL has a button on the back of the amp labelled "EFFECTS LEVEL" which sets overall send and return level (LOW = -10dB, HI = 0dB).. this is to compensate between the different line levels of pro gear (usuall rack stuff) and consumer grade stuff (pedals, cheap multi-fx boxes) .. your amp might have the same switch?
Exactly, the CLX has the same switch on the back. I run a DD-6 and a Holy Grail Reverb in the loop of my CLX and havent had any problems with it. Like Andrew said, check the back of your amp and try the level button to see if that remedies the problem.

And not to restate the obvious, or to be a jerk, but does it have a good battery or power supply? I cant count how many times something like this happens to me, and I forgot to check the batteries.:mrgreen: My DD-6 sounds like shit when the battery starts dying. Just wondering.

guitarz333
04-10-2006, 07:24 PM
yeah its got a good battery :-) i checked that but its an often overlooked fact so i know what youre saying. yeah my amp has that control on it, but if i turn it down, the effect isnt prominent enough. but perhaps i just need to mess with it some more. does anyone recommend parallel over series loops or vice versa?

drjenkins
04-10-2006, 08:11 PM
yeah its got a good battery :-) i checked that but its an often overlooked fact so i know what youre saying. yeah my amp has that control on it, but if i turn it down, the effect isnt prominent enough. but perhaps i just need to mess with it some more. does anyone recommend parallel over series loops or vice versa?
Now I turn my mix knob all the way up and push in the level button for my reverb, and the delay. As far as series or parallel, it's up to your ears. Play around with it a bit, and you'll find your sweet spot. Sometimes it takes a while to dial it in, but it's worth it when it's the way you want it. VHT's have the best loops Ive ever heard. Good Luck!!:-D