03-08-2006, 08:26 AM
So last night I did some tube swapping in my CLX to some very cool results:

power:Ruby EL34's
v1: Sovtek WB
v2:Ruby 12AX7
v3:Ruby 12AX7
v4:JJ ECC83
v5:balanced Ruby12AX7

A little less headroom than the full JJ tube set I had in it. The gain got less dry sounding, and compressed a tad bit more, not much, just enough. The cleans warmed up a little, not a huge difference over the JJ's.

The 2nd channel mid-gain sounds have less of a high end sizzle to them (which Im really digging) ,which was the biggest change next to the 3rd channel gain becoming warmer.

Of course, YMMV, but Im pretty happy with this tube set. Im still fiddling around with various preamp tubes, but I do now really like the Ruby power tubes. Strange because I really didnt like them when I got the amp. Oh well, digging them now!:mrgreen: Now I need to get the whole Chinese set per Grendel's reccomendation:twisted:

Kelly
03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Rubys are restamped Chinese, aren't they?

drjenkins
03-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Rubys are restamped Chinese, aren't they?
Thats what Ive been told. But Im not sure what generation they are. So I figure Ill just buy a new set of preamp tubes from Doug's , and Ill know for sure theyre 9th gen. And I can toy with them in the D120 and the CLX.:twisted:

Grendel
03-09-2006, 12:44 AM
So last night I did some tube swapping in my CLX to some very cool results:

power:Ruby EL34's
v1: Sovtek WB
v2:Ruby 12AX7
v3:Ruby 12AX7
v4:JJ ECC83
v5:balanced Ruby12AX7

A little less headroom than the full JJ tube set I had in it. The gain got less dry sounding, and compressed a tad bit more, not much, just enough. The cleans warmed up a little, not a huge difference over the JJ's.

The 2nd channel mid-gain sounds have less of a high end sizzle to them (which Im really digging) ,which was the biggest change next to the 3rd channel gain becoming warmer.

Of course, YMMV, but Im pretty happy with this tube set. Im still fiddling around with various preamp tubes, but I do now really like the Ruby power tubes. Strange because I really didnt like them when I got the amp. Oh well, digging them now!:mrgreen: Now I need to get the whole Chinese set per Grendel's reccomendation:twisted:

Well, that's only my recommendation if you want the amp to sound as aggressive as possible like I do! In that case, C9's all the way!

drjenkins
03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Well, that's only my recommendation if you want the amp to sound as aggressive as possible like I do! In that case, C9's all the way!
Yeah, should be doing that in a week or so!!:twisted: