PDA

View Full Version : Help with GP3!

bloodbath666
02-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I just got my gp3 today, and it is really fantastic. I tried hooking up my g-force into the send on return pannells on the back, but when I did and engaged the fx button, the distortion immediately got cut about 75%, and the sound was very weak. I was reading the manual, and it was saying something about the effects loop being designed specifically to work with pedals. How can I hook up my g-force into this thing correctly?

sangre
02-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Not sure this is exactly the same situation, but maybe helpful...

I called Steve F. about hooking my quadraverb into the loop of the GP3, because it didn't sound "right" to me especially in the high gain channels (I just use the reverb patches with the rack unit) . He said the loop is the wrong place for it, you want all your reverbs, etc in series not parallel. So in my case-GP3/amp out > rack unit input > rack unit output > power amp input.

If you use mostly delays and such maybe the loop is right for you...

I do run a few pedals in the FX loop, rotovibe etc, and with no noticeable loss of gain.

It would be *really* cool if the next generation GP3 had both a separate series and parallel loop... :-D

bloodbath666
02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Not sure this is exactly the same situation, but maybe helpful...

I called Steve F. about hooking my quadraverb into the loop of the GP3, because it didn't sound "right" to me especially in the high gain channels (I just use the reverb patches with the rack unit) . He said the loop is the wrong place for it, you want all your reverbs, etc in series not parallel. So in my case-GP3/amp out > rack unit input > rack unit output > power amp input.

If you use mostly delays and such maybe the loop is right for you...

I do run a few pedals in the FX loop, rotovibe etc, and with no noticeable loss of gain.

It would be *really* cool if the next generation GP3 had both a separate series and parallel loop... :-D

I'll have to try that, sounds really interesting, I never though of hooking it up that way. Righ now actually, I plugged my vht gp3's output into my engl e570's input, and used the Engl's effects loop. The Engl has a preamp defeat button on it so all I hear is the vht power amp and gp3, with my g-force. It is kind of a pain in the ass tho, to keep having the Engl on, so I think I'll try the way you told me. Thx.

sangre
02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
The GP3 with it's MIDI/switching capabilities is **so** flexible. I use it to channel switch my other pre-amp (peavey rockmaster- for the more saturated gain sounds)and run both in stereo live. Gives me a great combination of sounds and stereo FX.

If you have a stereo power amp and a couple speaker cabs, you may want to try this:

GP3/rear amp out> input left channel FX unit>left channel FX out> input left channel power amp > left speaker cab

+

GP3/front aux out > front input engl preamp> input right channel rack unit> right channel FX out >input right channel power amp > right speaker cab

+

GP3/rear remote clean + remote lead channel out (with stereo Y cable) > footswitch jack on engl

+

midi program the GP3 to channel switch both GP3 and the engl simultaneously.

fun stuff... :-D

BTW, the VHT 2:90 makes both pre-amp really shine compared to other poweramps I've owned... so if you don't have one...

I'll have to try that, sounds really interesting, I never though of hooking it up that way. Righ now actually, I plugged my vht gp3's output into my engl e570's input, and used the Engl's effects loop. The Engl has a preamp defeat button on it so all I hear is the vht power amp and gp3, with my g-force. It is kind of a pain in the ass tho, to keep having the Engl on, so I think I'll try the way you told me. Thx.

bloodbath666
02-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Yup, I have the 2:90:2 and it absolutely killz, sounds great the with gp3. The gp3 is the exact type of voicing I've been looking for with a preamp, great sound. I'm curious about the mods as well, tho, they don't seem hard to do at, all and I've seen alot of guys having them done or doing them on the gp3, maybe I'll look into that. \m/

BTW- I don't have any extra cabs at the moment, but right now, just going preamp defeat in my engl, is working great, so I guess I'll do that for now.