PDA

View Full Version : S.A.S and Boostassio Reviewed at Premier Guitar

support
05-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Here's a link to the reviews.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jun/Fryettes_As_And_Boostassio_Pedal_Reviews.aspx

The clips aren't stellar, but they do give you a basic sense of the sounds and vibe. The clean boost clips at least demonstrate how full and transparent the boost is.

I don't know why they named the overdriven one "metal". It's what the SAS sounds like pretty well gained up with a medium bias setting, but the sound is anything but metal. More like the angry grunge sound the SAS does really well in the right hands.

Enjoy.

CARSANDGUITARS
05-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Does the Boostasio increase or decrease any frequencies in any way? What I mean, is it a flat response eq curve or does it bump the bass or add mids ,etc. It seemed very clear in the audio.

support
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
That Tele clip with the boost being switched on and off is exactly what it sounds like. No selected frequencies are boosted. You could set it up for a tiny amount of clean boost, but it will make your guitar feel like a whole new dimension opened up. Of course once you add sufficient boost to overload the front of the amp, there may some frequency shift depending on the amp and how it reacts to being boosted. Every amp will react differently - to what extent depends on every other piece of gear you are using with it.

Cranking up the Bias control causes the tube to distort minimally or radically depending on the Bias setting. What that's going to sound like with your set-up is also dependent on your gear and individual settings. It's really feel oriented - not just a level change.

Probably the fact that this boost sounds so neutral and has so much feel means you will probably find uses for it that you never though about before. We have a clip of Pete Anderson playing harp through it and it kills. That'll be online in a day or so.

CARSANDGUITARS
05-19-2011, 03:58 PM
When will they be available? This comes a very good time because I have been looking for a clean tube boost pedal.

support
05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
The S.A.S pedals ship first and are in final assembly now. From what I currently know, they should start showing up in stores by around the first or second week in June. Boostassio final assembly will follow a few weeks later.

The first production S.A.S. I saw looks amazing. Sounds exactly like the proto. The first production Boostassio sounds super-sweet too. Compared to the one we sent to Premier Guitar, the production one sounds a little more open on clean settings and more whacked out in the full bias setting. These are really fun little mojo machines.

Are you the guy with the D60? If so, be prepared for that amp to take on a whole new dimension.

CARSANDGUITARS
05-23-2011, 04:54 PM
No, I have a GP3, 2/90/2 combo. Love the tone, but just want the soaring leads from a pushed amp. Best part is, with the gp3's pre-input stage loop, I can switch it in and out via midi. I really want this to be like a Creation audio labs 4.23 boost or the like without the op amps or mosfet design. I just want a way to slam the front end of my lead channel at times that call for it, without the pedal's circuitry EQing (changing) the tone I already have. Is this what I've been looking for? Thanks.

HellfireSG
05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
i wanna try the S.A.S. out soooo bad with my D120H......i am dying to check this thing out!!!!

HellfireSG
05-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey Dave....can you give me any idea's where in the Bay Area you are sending the S.A.S. to so i can check it out?

support
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Any GC location in your area should have it by mid June.

HellfireSG
05-23-2011, 09:17 PM
cool...thanks Dave!...i'll be on the lookout!

Sevenstringer
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Any GC location in your area should have it by mid June.

:twisted::twisted:
Can't wait ! !

stephen sawall
07-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Does anyone know if the Boostassio and/or SAS cuts of low end ? I am very interested in the SAS ....

support
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
They don't.

stephen sawall
07-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks ...

That and the dynamics make this a must have pedal for me ...

Hollowway
07-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Dave, under what circumstances would you use the SAS with a Fryette amp? I've got the 50CL, and I want to try out the Boostassio, and I'm (perhaps wrongly) assuming that the SAS isn't really going to give me any advantage, and is designed more for people with less gainy amps.

Secondly, people use boosts typically to tighten the sound, but it's not like Fryette users have a problem with looseness.:lol: Obviously it will push the preamp harder, so what were you getting at in that earlier post about how it would make the D60 sound like a whole other amp? Because most of us don't have our gain up past 1-2 o'clock, so if the pedal just increases saturation, couldn't we just get it by turning up the gain on the amp a bit more? Or am I totally misunderstanding it?

support
07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave, under what circumstances would you use the SAS with a Fryette amp? I've got the 50CL, and I want to try out the Boostassio, and I'm (perhaps wrongly) assuming that the SAS isn't really going to give me any advantage, and is designed more for people with less gainy amps.

We've noticed an interesting phenomenon. Many people assume the SAS is going to be a Pittbull overdrive pedal. It is far from it, and I think the videos are intended to make that abundantly clear. Still we sometimes have to say it out loud. The SAS will impart a different character to any Fryette amp, just as other brands of distortion pedals would, except with better dynamics and more natural harmonic structure than most. Plus the bias control will help you to "undo" some of the tight defined character of our amps when you feel the need. In that way, they are ideally suited to extending the playing experience of our amps. You don't even have to use a lot of gain on the pedal to get more thickness and thump, but it's a lot of fun to crank the gain and bias on the SAS just for the kick of F'ing everything up.

The coolest thing about both of these, and something reviewers have missed entirely is the harmonic sustain. They just ooze vibe and seem to pull sounds deep out of the guitar that you normally have to play loud to hear. Like all of our gear, you'll want to spend time exploring the subtleties to discover their full capabilities. We often have to remind people to play a lot with pick attack, guitar volume and pick-up switching to get the full experience. Both will take you into an extended tweek-zone, so make sure you don't have a date lined up or kids to pick up at school before starting to mess with them. You will definitely forget all about time once you get in their groove.

Secondly, people use boosts typically to tighten the sound, but it's not like Fryette users have a problem with looseness.:lol: Obviously it will push the preamp harder, so what were you getting at in that earlier post about how it would make the D60 sound like a whole other amp? Because most of us don't have our gain up past 1-2 o'clock, so if the pedal just increases saturation, couldn't we just get it by turning up the gain on the amp a bit more? Or am I totally misunderstanding it?

The Boostassio has so much character that it can take the amp in an entirely new direction. It's hard to describe how a pedal can be more or less tonally transparent yet completely alter the playing experience. Again, the real beauty of it is the harmonic richness and dynamic response. To me it sounds and feels like the whole guitar itself got physically 20% bigger. More than a few people have plugged into it expecting the typical "more signal level, so what" vibe. It's fun to watch them turn on to it. Best way I can describe it is that it is very natural sounding and pleasing to listen to. Then when you smack a chord you discover a definitely enhanced "thwack" quality that you normally only get at loud volulmes. Mojo is such a worn out descriptor, but if anything can be described as having mojo, the Boostassion is it. It makes me just want to slap open E chords all day.

stephen sawall
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I know Fryette is just getting these pedals out ..... are there any ideas / plans for other pedals in the future ? Any chance Fryette will make delay or modulation, etc pedals or will it be just distortion, overdrive, fuzz stuff ?

support
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I know Fryette is just getting these pedals out ..... are there any ideas / plans for other pedals in the future ? Any chance Fryette will make delay or modulation, etc pedals or will it be just distortion, overdrive, fuzz stuff ?

There's talk...lot's of talk :)
For sure I haven't heard anything about delay/mod type stuff.
Other things that are in the works I'm not allowed to discuss yet. Sorry!

Hollowway
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
OK, Dave, so now I'm super interested. But I need to make a decision - get one of the pedals and use it with my 50CL or sell my 50CL and get a UL. I don't need 3 channels but I do want a big sound with lots of weight behind it. Would either of the pedals give more punch and percussiveness to the 50CL, or should I abandon that and look at the UL? My only hesitation with the UL is that I might not be able to get it into 50CL territory. But would the pedals help do the opposite?

stephen sawall
07-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you Dave .... I very much like the Fryette stuff and was wondering.

CARSANDGUITARS
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm dyin' over here. Musicians Friend says they'll receive them on the 5th of August. Is that a fair estimation?

support
07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Have you checked your local GC? The are in stock at most locations.

CARSANDGUITARS
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
When I called GC in San Antonio. They had never heard of Fryette.:mad: In Austin, they have the SAS but havent received any Boostassios yet. He said none of the stores in their network showed any either. Texas guitar stores suck compared to some I've seen around. Hopefully I'll see one soon. Thanks.

HellfireSG
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM
i bet the employee you got was new....call again and try for a manager or something

guitar-bob
07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
The GC in Memphis has the SAS. I rushed in there to get some strings and one of my buddies in there showed it to me. I didn't have time to try it out, but , I am on vacation all next week, so I see another trip to GC in the very near future.

CARSANDGUITARS
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
i bet the employee you got was new....call again and try for a manager or something

Nobody around here knows what a VHT or Fryette is. The Guitar Centers in Texas don't carry Fryette amps either.

HellfireSG
07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Nobody around here knows what a VHT or Fryette is. The Guitar Centers in Texas don't carry Fryette amps either.

:shock:

Cam
07-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Im getting nothing searching GC maybe cause its a restricted item and that MF date just keeps getting put back , must be the 3rd or 4th time ,not that they will sell me one either .. ill be watching the for sale section vellyy closely ! :twisted:

guitar-bob
07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Try goint to Amps and Effects, Shop by brand, Fryette. GC's website is showing both the SAS and Boostasio (not available until 07/29/2011).

support
07-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Im getting nothing searching GC maybe cause its a restricted item and that MF date just keeps getting put back , must be the 3rd or 4th time ,not that they will sell me one either .. ill be watching the for sale section vellyy closely ! :twisted:

Guitarcenter.com orders ship from Musicians Friends warehouse. So their dates are the same as MF dates.

Actual GC store locations have their own stock that comes from a different warehouse. That's why the store locations have it now, but guitarcenter.com doesn't.

guitar-bob
07-14-2011, 05:46 PM
GC.com has them. look in Amps and Effects, Shop by Brand, Fryette, They are showing both the Boostasio and the SAS.

stephen sawall
07-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Just got home with the S.A.S .... Sig X is warming up right now ..

Cam
07-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Guitarcenter.com orders ship from Musicians Friends warehouse. So their dates are the same as MF dates.

Actual GC store locations have their own stock that comes from a different warehouse. That's why the store locations have it now, but guitarcenter.com doesn't.

Ah ok , thanks for the info ... i shall go a googling :twisted: !

Cam
07-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Ah ok , thanks for the info ... i shall go a googling :twisted: !

Ugh , when i shop with USA choose country i can find them and the add says ships globally ,though in checkout it only says ships to Canada and i cant complete checkout, so then when i shop with choose country Australia it says Zero items for Fryette... cant seem to order from a store without it going back to "shop online" so no luck yet , might try calling one, but there you go USA people as far as i can see they are available with free US shipping or ship to pick up from store of your choice ....

stephen sawall
07-15-2011, 02:09 AM
First impression .... I give it a big yes.

Clean boost, overdrive, distortion and fuzz all sounded better than I imagined. Actually gets more aggressive than I thought it would. Even when set to fuzz settings it has a very natural sound. Just a wall of harmonic's.
When setting up the amp clean, crunch or high gain I was able to make the pedal work with the Sig X. Even with the amp set up for poweramp distortion on the clean channel I found some great sounds.
Very surprised how versatile it is
Great dynamic and reacts with the guitar volume. The sound is full and does not cut off the bottom.
Setting the gain and bias up different changes the texture of the distortion. Small changes of either effects the sound and feel.
Setting up the pedal for a clean boost very much enhances the sound and makes it sound bigger .... not just louder. Others have mention this effect .... you just need to experience it to understand.

After messing with it only with the amp for a hour or so I plugged in my THD Quintet before the S.A.S. and my old blue MXR six band graphic equalizer after ... these are the pedals I use to shape the sound with all my OD, distortion, fuzz pedals. With these pedals added I can get a huge variety of colors and textures. The results are amazing ... the flavors and colors are almost endless...

Hollowway
07-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Setting up the pedal for a clean boost very much enhances the sound and makes it sound bigger .... not just louder. Others have mention this effect .... you just need to experience it to understand.

I'm going to probably have to pick one of these up to try it for myself, but tell me what you mean by "bigger." I have a 50CL I want to use it with. When you set it to clean boost does it further saturate the tone or make it more percussive or...? I'm wondering if it will move me toward a KT88/6L6 bottom end sound, as opposed to the reduced hugeness of the 34Ls.

stephen sawall
07-17-2011, 03:01 AM
More shimmering harmonics ... fuller sound. Hard to really describe ...A enhancement to the sound. Yes you can add saturation, but that is more of a effect that happens as you turn up the gain past the clean boost range. The bass tends to be not as tight. The sound is full and does not cut bass. It tends to have a very aggressive voice early on as you turn the gain. It can get very aggressive. This is a very different sound than the Fryette amps. Very very different. As you turn the bias knob the harmonic structure of the distortion changes .... In the 10' o'clock ~ 1 range it boost bass and lower midrange giving a fuller sound / voice. As it gets up above 1 o'clock the bass in the voice starts to thin out and the sound gets more erratic. But how it really shapes the sound depends on how the gain is set. So between these two knobs you can change the amount and shape of the distortion.

One of the things this pedal really does great is get a over the top sonic destruction sound where it sound like it is just about out of control and ready to completely fall apart. For me it is way more aggressive than what I had imagined. But it also can get softer sounds with the gain set in it's lower ranges or off.

As far as moving you to sound of other power tubes .... that is a bit of a stretch and nothing I would say any pedal could do. Not in my experience ...

nitro
07-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Can this pedal put you into the van halen 1 sound(first album tone).

HellfireSG
07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Can this pedal put you into the van halen 1 sound(first album tone).

From what I've heard so far, it's way more Van Halen 2:)

nitro
07-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Way more van halen 2 ????? explain.

stephen sawall
07-20-2011, 10:40 PM
If I wanted to emulate EVH this is not the pedal I would use. It might do it for you who knows ?...

I do sometimes ball park peoples sounds .... but copying someone else's sound has never been something I would be interested in. If I do try to ball park someones sound it is the live sound they use in most cases. Simply because that is a more realistic goal in my view.

I have a vintage MXR Distortion + and Plexi here. This probably is the gear I have here that would get me near Ed's early live sound. .... I just do not sound like Ed even when playing his riffs no matter what gear I use.

I have been playing the SAS with my Strat and Les Paul .... I can hear some similarity's to several vintage and modern sounds. But it very much has it's own voice and vibe.

Just like a TS9 does not sound like a Fuzz Factory does not sound like a Big Muff does not sound like a Ratt does not sound like a Fuzz Face does not sound like a MXR Distortion + does not sound like a etc ....