PDA

View Full Version : 50 st

shred-dog
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
i am looking at a vht 50 st it is 1995 . and it has el84 power tubes . i was wondering how much difference is it from a pittbull 45 ? i am looking for something for bluesy hard rock gary moore/warren haynes/ect. thanks scott

Slick51
08-01-2005, 09:37 PM
The 50 ST has more gain, IMO, but either will get you to blues rock-ville. I have both; the 5084 1-12" combo, and the 45 head and a 4-10". They both do their thing well, but I can get 90% or better of the 50's gain with the 45. The 45 reverb is much sweeter, though. It uses the EF86 reverb driver, where the EL84 version of the 50 used an EL84 for the reverb driver too, and some early ones used a transformer feed; i.e. no tube at all.

Do you have the 45 or are you trying to just 'buy the right one'?

If you are afraid you won't have enough gain,a pedal will goose it up easily...or just get a 50CL.

Slick51

lenni
08-02-2005, 06:21 AM
I have the EL34 version of the ST which is supposed to be more aggressive sounding. It will do most anything, but it excels in Jazzrock and Bluesrock imo. I've done Metal with it, now we are doing Jazz Fusion... it's still the best amp I've played.
Should work great for bluesy hard rock. Set it up for a bluesy overdriven sound and just use the boost switch to push it into hard rock territory. I find myself almost never using my od pedals, the built in boost sounds just so much better.

Sonar
08-03-2005, 03:04 AM
i am looking at a vht 50 st it is 1995 . and it has el84 power tubes . i was wondering how much difference is it from a pittbull 45 ? i am looking for something for bluesy hard rock gary moore/warren haynes/ect. thanks scott

Basically, Slick 51 covered the basics for you. The main difference between the VHT Pittbull 50ST and the later Pittbull 45 is that the 50ST is solidstate rectified and the Pittbull 45 is tube rectified.

The 50ST w/EL84 power used an EL84 reverb driver tube, but VHT changed to the EF86 driver tube for the Pittbull 45. The earlier 50ST can be modified to use the EF86 reverb driver, but I did the mod to mine and ended up liking the original EL84 reverb driver tube sound better in my old 50ST.

Also, the 50ST has only one effects loop setup (parallel, I believe) -- but the Pittbull 45 has a selection of serial OR parallel. I like my parallel loop just fine, so I'm not griping. You gotta watch where the "mix" control level on the Pittbull 45 is set or you'll be wondering why your amp isn't working. The Pittbull 45 has footswitcable bypass of the effects loop too but the 50ST does not. (You gotta match all those pins on the Pittbull 45 footswitch plug because they get bent and hinky sometimes.....the 50ST uses a "no worry" 1/4" plug for it's footswitch by comparison).

AND the old style 50ST had an EQ option available that I've never seen on a Pittbull 45....but I could be wrong about the Pittbull 45 never coming with an EQ, but I don't think so.

AND the Pittbull 45 has a "Class A" switch on the back that the older 50ST doesn't have. Again.....I'm fine without it.

Also the Pittbull 45 has that creepy chrome faceplate that is unreadable under stage lighting and picks up ALL FINGERPRINTS AND SMEARS. The 50ST has basic black that I love by comparison.

I'd say that you'll love your 50ST if you get a Weber EL84 bias meter and learn to set it up and biased correctly. It's a great head with versatility and it is dependably built. Find the right speaker combination and you'll keep it for years (my 50ST tends to LOVE certain combinations and HATE others....so don't make any firm judgements until you've tried it through 3 or 4 different speaker cabinets or speaker combinations).