PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find a good Fryette friendly wah?

richedie
03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
I use a Dunlop 95Q only because it is auto on and that makes it easier for quick in and out or going to and from a solo....but I might be tempted again to try a typical wah you have to click on and off. I am not thrilled with how the 95Q sounds with the ST/50 but I need to withhold judgement till practice.

Maybe another Budda wah or Dunlop Classic wah. Loved the Budda!

Cam
03-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I have tried all the usual ones various dunlops ,morleys,snarling dogs ,george dennis ,boss etc etc..and yeh it took awhile to find 1 i liked with my VHT, have been using a RMC 5 wizard wah for the last year or so (Geoffrey Teese is excellent to deal with BTW) thats really good with the VHT with any amount of gain ..however it has a built in signal boost and with EMGs i use its really a bit much if you want a really clean wah on the clean channel.. i have sold it and am going back to an AREA 51 that i had previous which is awesome..i had a stocker and it was a tough choice to chose between the 2 , i have being made now with the quack and growl and 5 way switch options which is going to be perfect for what i want..(should have in a few more weeks) that said the RMC3 is a fully tunable wah to from the inside ... the best fairly easily obtainable wahs in production are the AREA 51 or RMC wahs in my opinion..worth checkin out the websites for demos etc..

richedie
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks man! I really need the auto-on feature of an optical wah. I can't stnd having to turn a wah on during a song....I like the auto on/off.:-D

jbird
03-22-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't know man...I went with a Fulltone Clyde Standard!

Cam
03-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks man! I really need the auto-on feature of an optical wah. I can't stnd having to turn a wah on during a song....I like the auto on/off.:-D

fair enough ..not my sorta thang but you could check out the morley bad horsie its another has that

jbird
03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Is'nt that Tremonti Wah optical?

GD91945
04-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I know Page Hamilton of Helmet – currently using ULs – swears by his 70s Vox wah. No optical switching there, alas, but it sure does sound good!

KevinP
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey guys, new here, sticking my head into this thread .......

If I may add, from personal experience, a potential issue with the optical wah's, it may be pertinant with the original poster being from Philly .....

Originally from Ohio, a band I was in 5 years or so ago was gigging during the winter months. I was using the Morley Bad Horsie II on my pedalboard. While loading into the venue, the door locked in front of me carrying my pedalboard in, leaving me standing in the nearly arctic conditions for 4 or 5 minutes before gaining access. SO, not thinking anything about it, I go in, sit my pedalboard down (and it is still a tad chilly in the venue), plug my guitar in, key up the amp, and am greeted by one of the most terrible sound of white noise to come thru my speakers .... LOUDLY .... I freak out, unplug the guitar, no different, unplug the pedalboard, and its gone .... turn the amp down, plug the pedalboard in, and start unplugging pedals one at a time .... the optic photocoupler had fogged up inside the bad horsie and 'confused' it, for lack of a better definition. Played the show with no wah on my board, even tho I had a couple songs I needed it on. I talked to a tech, and he stated that he had heard of it a time or two before, but not often ... bad horsie out .... say hello to a modded budda-wah ...

I loved the auto off/on feature of the morley, dunlop and george dennis wahs, and I love the effect you can do with the spring loaded pedal ... I just got a more than a little gun shy on them after that experience.

Kevin

grindgod
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Im the same way, been using the Ibanez weeping demon. I like how you can adjust it to the freq you like....

support
07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Voodoo Lab Wahzoo. Seriously. A killer classic sounding Clyde style wah in normal mode.

Auto-Wah mode is the best I've ever heard. Doesn't sound like the typical bubbly attack/release filter. It sounds like you are using a normal wah but not moving your foot. String attack determines the wah action like a typical auto-wah, but the sound is like a real wah. Kinda hard to explain. Listen to Hendrix "Up From The Skies". You can really get that vibe with the Wahzoo in auto mode. And when you push the foodpad all the way forward in auto mode, it changes to reverse auto mode - closes on attack instead of opening.

There's a 3rd mode that memorizes patterns and plays them kind of like a step wah effect.

Sorry if this sounds too gushing. We've had one here for about 6 months.

Check it out. Oh, and no noise/hum like a trad wah.

Custom Arts
12-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi,
there is a fairly unknown "godfather of wahpedals". It's called Silvermachine Automagic Wah.
It's manufactured in Cologne/Germany by Hardy Kurandt. The company is called Musician Sound Design.

It's an 1,7kg stainless steal Wah Pedal with a true bypass. There is a touch sensitive switch on the pedal that activates the effect as soon as a foot is laid upon the pedal. At a Morley you have to move the pedal a bit forward to activate it. I love the deep sounding FX when you play the pedal moved back - you cant do that with a Morley, cause it will be switched off.

My Pedal is about 8 years old and works without any trouble.

Here is the website where you can find some more information, demos,etc..

http://www.silvermachine.de/en/silvmac.htm

Happy new year, Guido

Nick-ON
02-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Hi,
there is a fairly unknown "godfather of wahpedals". It's called Silvermachine Automagic Wah.
It's manufactured in Cologne/Germany by Hardy Kurandt. The company is called Musician Sound Design.

It's an 1,7kg stainless steal Wah Pedal with a true bypass. There is a touch sensitive switch on the pedal that activates the effect as soon as a foot is laid upon the pedal. At a Morley you have to move the pedal a bit forward to activate it. I love the deep sounding FX when you play the pedal moved back - you cant do that with a Morley, cause it will be switched off.

My Pedal is about 8 years old and works without any trouble.

Here is the website where you can find some more information, demos,etc..

http://www.silvermachine.de/en/silvmac.htm

Happy new year, Guido

. . . anybody seen one of these in North America? Canada?

guitardr
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Dunlop 535Q seems to adjust well with any rig, especially with the Memphis 30.
+1!

Cam
02-16-2011, 06:48 AM
just found this... looks pretty interesting , not cheap though at $350 US though, still ive been toying at getting a RMC3 so maybe.. might check ebay see if i can pick one up second hand.. had abit of a scope via google ,they are for sale at www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.com .. cool wah .. plus they are doin a pretty good dealon a Sig/furman if anyones keen

sfryette
02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, just thought I’d weigh in on this wah conversation because I learned (or perhaps relearned) something valuable recently about using a wah. Well, like most of you, I’ve probably been down this road many times over the years, but you never stop rediscovering, relearning and refining your approach - otherwise we’d might as well all be playing banjo!

When we put the SAS/Boostassio demo pedalboard together for NAMM 2011, we included a wah – an afterthought, really. We were going to use the Voodoo Lab Wahzoo, but the demo pedal board is also used to show how the Valvuator I improves guitar tone using a typical wah (which famously sucks tone), so we used a Dunlop Crybaby that we *borrowed* from Dunlop at NAMM years ago. I can’t even tell you which model, but it’s probably the most basic one – no special inductors, knobs, or markings. I mentioned their name twice now, so I guess we’re even :)

After playing around with the sequence a little bit, the pedalboard ended up like this: Valuator I > Wah > SAS > Boostassio > Memphis 30 Combo. For a little demonstration of what this generally sounded like, you can see this rambling, half-hung-over, video demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX-Olgu4G7U where I kick the wah on for a sec (we have a more polished demo in the works, btw).

I have to say, I was pretty shocked to hear how good the wah sounded together with the SAS. It's definitely more of a classic rock set-up with the Memphis, but we also tried it with a D60 half-stack and that took it into more aggressive rock and modern hi-gain territory. Either way, the SAS/Wah combo is pretty amazing. And because the SAS is a lot quieter than most distortion pedals, the wah subtleties are much more apparent, and sustain with the wah half-cocked more dramatic. I was also reminded (again, having been down this road) how often some sounds are just sitting a few blinks of an eye away that one can stumble across when thinking about everything else BUT getting a sound – but I digress…

It certainly depends on what kind of wah vibe you are trying to get to, but this demo rig reminded me that most "signature" wah sounds incorporate some kind of distortion, and different distortion pedals or amplifier distortion settings will have a lot to do with emulating a familiar wah effect.

Voodoo Chile for example starts out with a wah and no fuzz pedal for that clear vocal effect. Then the fuzz kicks on and it becomes the totally screaming, wailing wah sound we all know and love. An overdrive pedal, like a tube screamer, will produce an entirely different wah flavor - like the more seamless mid-voiced Satriani vibe. With a clean boost, you would get a pushed amp quality with a lot of string sensitivity. A good example of this is White Room although that's supposedly just a wah with a cranked amp, but Clapton used an Echoplex on occasion and those things boosted the signal a fair amount, so in effect acted like a clean tube boost. When we tried the wah with a moderate amount of boost using the Boostassio pedal, we got a pretty stellar wah attack and sustain very much in the spirit of White Room.

It’s common knowledge that putting fuzz, overdrive or distortion before or after a wah yields a vast difference in wah behavior. Using a clean boost before or after the wah boosts the amplifier into distortion territory, so in effect, that becomes simply another distortion flavor added to the wah voice. Other devices, like the Valvulator I, or any buffering device for that matter, play an important role in wah behavior. This is because the input impedance of a traditional wah is relatively high, so the source impedance (the impedance at the output) of whatever is plugged into the wah input will have a huge impact on the tone and sweep of a traditional wah. Besides restoring tone, the Valvulator I restores the pick-up’s original output level, which in turn hits the amp harder, potentially adding distortion, which enhances the wah effect. What goes around...

So, to sum it up, whichever wah sound you are looking for, how a wah is utilized is just as important as which one you choose.

50STuser
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Cool vid and nice Hamer! Hamer's are my favorite.

karlis
02-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah same here, i also use the 95Q and i'm not so happy with it on my clx. Good thing i use the wah rarely.

lgalarraga
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
MC404 CAE Wah...Check it out.

It's like a traditional Dunlop with better sounds and less noise. Also, is very friendly with my Siggy.

Cam
03-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Lashed out and bought a new RMC 3 Front loaded (great idea ) ..hanging out to get that in the mail... Ive had an RMC 5 and 6 and really like Mr Teese ' stuff ..hit me up if you wanna buy a 6 Wheels of Fire ...

guitardr
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Dunlop 535Q - +1! or L6 HD400's various models.

Cam
03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Lashed out and bought a new RMC 3 Front loaded (great idea ) ..hanging out to get that in the mail... Ive had an RMC 5 and 6 and really like Mr Teese ' stuff ..hit me up if you wanna buy a 6 Wheels of Fire ...

yhep... this is good .. had a 5 and 6 now an easy tweak RMC 3 front load, they all sound great with my classic..