PDA

View Full Version : What midi floorboard for GP3?

JvK
02-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi guys,

Finally got me a GP3 valvulator to complete my rack. I am lookin for a floorboard to control the GP3 (and TC G-Major). Any recommendations or things i should be considering before getting one?

My stereo setup will be: git > VHT GP3 > TC G-Major > VHT 2/90/2 > 2x VHT FB4x12.

grtz JvK

SteveVHT
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
It really depends on how much you want to spend, and what options you need.
I use a Ground Control Pro. But you can find a regular used Ground Control cheap that will do everything you need.....

JvK
02-22-2010, 05:45 PM
What about an Engl-Z12 controller? Found a used one:

Engl Z12 Midi Pedal
Z - 12 MIDI FOOTCONTROLLER

Exceptionally comfortable, robust MIDI Footswitch in rugged steel chassis;
MIDI program locations: 01 through 128, 12 pusbuttons, 10 x presets and Bank up/down;
MIDI channels: Poly 1 through 16

would that do the job?

grtz JvK

cdtbeast
03-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I love my Rocktron All Access. Pricey but worth every cent.
The fact that I can store different setlists in it is a winner for me.

Giga
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
If you would go beyond just preset-switching you'd want something that can send CC's. this allows you to use the pedalboard like you would use stompboxes.

I don't think the Engl does that.

One that does it is this: http://link.marktplaats.nl/314723351

Good luck !

Giga

grindgod
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
when I had a GP3 I used the gmajor to switch everything via the relay input. just plug a stereo 1/4 cord into the rhythm/lead footswitch port on the preamp to the back of the gmajor where it says switch out. then hit the lvls/routing button twice and scroll until it says relay 1 and relay 2 and toggle between the on/off on either until it switches the desired channel for the desired patch on midi. That was the easiest way for me to channel switch via midi.

as far as floorboards, I used the Behringer fcb1010 which is cheap and fairly durable actually. (went on 2 tours with me!) then I needed compact so I got an RJM switcher which is built like a tank, but I was definatly considering a Voodoo labs groundcontrol as well...
Good luck, and hope this helps!

MikeDV
04-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I use a Rocktron All Access, which works perfectly. Anything that will send a program change message will work. To get fancy, one that also does cc changes, in order to toggle boost, EQ, etc. The mapping of combinations that are mapped in the manual is helpful too.

JvK
04-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, found a pratical way to solve this issue. I simply use my Vox Tonelabe SE (i used this one as a preamp before buying the GP-3) as a midi-floorboard. It can sent PC's and CC's and it works fine to switch channels and stomp EQ / boost / fat control on and off. Got the G-major also connected from the MIDI-through jacket and map the PC's to the right patches.

Gives me furthermore 2 advantages: the first is i run the signal through the Tonelab and i can use the Vox-Wah's which i really like and secondly i always have a spare "preamp"-modeller with me. In case of trouble i can use the Tonelab and go directly into the power-amp or even the PA. This ofcourse is for emergency only!

grtz JvK

Mark
05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm using a Liquid Foot Pro,

Is there away of turning the memory off for the midi switches (brite, fat etc)
with the channel change. I get around this buy sending an off message with the CC change to the other switches, but I would like to control each totally separate eg be able to change channel and leave fat on or off.

Thanks Mark

JJ Rodriguez
05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
when I had a GP3 I used the gmajor to switch everything via the relay input. just plug a stereo 1/4 cord into the rhythm/lead footswitch port on the preamp to the back of the gmajor where it says switch out. then hit the lvls/routing button twice and scroll until it says relay 1 and relay 2 and toggle between the on/off on either until it switches the desired channel for the desired patch on midi. That was the easiest way for me to channel switch via midi.

as far as floorboards, I used the Behringer fcb1010 which is cheap and fairly durable actually. (went on 2 tours with me!) then I needed compact so I got an RJM switcher which is built like a tank, but I was definatly considering a Voodoo labs groundcontrol as well...
Good luck, and hope this helps!

Why would you use relays and lose the functionality of switching all the other functions, when it has built in MIDI? Or spend the extra dough on a MIDI switcher to get it back?

The ONLY thing I hate about the GP3's MIDI is that when it receives a PC0 message, it goes into bypass mode. Fixed that by putting it on a different channel than my effects processor and offsetting the PC messages by 1 that it sent out on that MIDI channel.