PDA

View Full Version : GP3/292 vs Ultralead

Pittbull
06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
This is not a which is better thread. I just want to know differrences in tone. Does anyone have experience with both. Is there a certain feel one has over the other? Can you get differents tones from one verse the other? More punch,depth, saturation, etc. I see that someone wants to trade one for UL in the forum and thought I would ask more about the unit . Thanks

Joe
06-24-2005, 09:49 PM
I have compared the UL side by side to the GP3 (or whatever it's called)/2902 combo. First off, the pre/power rig can be dialed in to sound like the UL no problem. But it has more options too with regards to tone. You get different eq knobs for red and orange channel which is awesome. The concept of the Deliverence with the 2 gain controls (gain and gain level? I forget, sorry) are there, there as are one or two more tone shaping buttons and there is something that does a simulated "cranked" sound which my guess is a hotter cathode bias on the preamp tube, but I have no idea. On the GP3, I could dial in more gain (but still the defined VHT gain - but with more hair than the UL), and get a more, how do I say...3D sound. I do not mean 3D like when you play a Komet, I mean very dynamic tones. The highs seems to sing richly and the bass seemed to come out and slap you more. I think using the 292 with an isolated power section has a lot to do with that. That is a hell of a power amp, many say the best out there. I found it to be tighter and hold together a bit more than the UL. I think with the pre and power not off the same power, it's overall a better thing. It's a hell of a rig. It got me to seriously consider that set up. There was a fair amount of time between the UL as we know it today release, and the GP3, so Stevie had time to put a lot of value-add in it.

Pittbull
06-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Joe.

David Yergensen
07-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Joe made some great comments regarding the GP3 preamp. I used to run a GP3 into a 2150 stereo power amp setup and it was unbelievable. Recently,...Steve Fryette built me a new GP3 and a 2100 stereo power amp and that is what I currently use (along with some Eventides and a Pro Hush) running through 4X12 cabs. But the tone from the GP3 and the 2100 just can not be beat in my book.